FIBA U-19 Stats and Such | The Boneyard

FIBA U-19 Stats and Such

Reaction Score
Team Canada Stats are interesting too. Prosper and Fournier looking real good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Team Canada Stats are interesting too. Prosper and Fournier looking real good.

Take those stats with a grain of salt, considering who was in their pool (China, Egypt and Czech Republic). They beat Egypt by almost 60 points. China wasn't much of a challenge either. It's easy to look good in those situations.

Still concerned about FG%. Outside shooting is a weakness of Canada. Czech Republic's zone made things very interesting and they squeaked out a 5 point win when they had an early 20+ lead. Facing Mali who are aggressive defence and have more length will show whether Canada is ready to challenge for a medal.

Reaction Score
Definitely going to be an adjustment. Per the Canadian Basketball tech director's tweet, the ball bounces differently and you can feel some heat emanating from it. We'll see if it really affects these teams in the end.
I was thinking about this last night. I wonder if the floor is a rigid glass surface, which I think it would make the ball more bouncy than a wood surface. I also wonder if there will be a higher chance for injury because it won't be as good with absorbing impact force when landing and falling on the floor.

Reaction Score
How good is the U19 France team? I feel like the USA has not been challenged yet. I want to see who steps up when the game is actually competitive.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this last night. I wonder if the floor is a rigid glass surface, which I think it would make the ball more bouncy than a wood surface. I also wonder if there will be a higher chance for injury because it won't be as good with absorbing impact force when landing and falling on the floor.

I've seen videos of men playing on it and it's not as rigid as people think. It has much more give than people assume. The term glass is deceptive because it's more like plexiglass. The challenge is dribbling harder because it doesn't bounce like it would on wood.

Reaction Score
How good is the U19 France team? I feel like the USA has not been challenged yet. I want to see who steps up when the game is actually competitive.
I'd be shocked if it was very competitive. I'm not sure if she's injured, but 6-6 Dominique Malonga is yet to play for France in FIBA events this summer. She would have been a difference maker for France.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if it was very competitive. I'm not sure if she's injured, but 6-6 Dominique Malonga is yet to play for France in FIBA events this summer. She would have been a difference maker for France.
Yeah, she really got hit with injuries at the wrong time of the season. France was not trying that hard to win this tournament. They have two guards that are legitimate WNBA draft prospects in 2024, but they decided to split them up, having the more natural point guard Carla Leite lead their U20 team. Leila Lacan, who also was on their senior team this summer, needed a big scoring game just to get them into the semifinals. That said, she is a really dangerous scorer who could carry on that momentum.

Reaction Score
Definitely going to be an adjustment. Per the Canadian Basketball tech director's tweet, the ball bounces differently and you can feel some heat emanating from it. We'll see if it really affects these teams in the end.
Playing in those types of settings is hard. Hopefully the players can adjust quickly.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Canada and Spain was very entertaining. Prosper was unable to grab two rebounds off Spain free throw misses in the final seconds which pretty much did it for Canada who made a nice comeback effort.

Martin and Fam are a phenomenal duo for Spain.
Fam played some of last season for Valencia in the top Spanish league, then I believe went down to a lower Spanish league

Martin is very good, but she has to work on her right hand shots. She is a lefty and I have seen too many times she swithches to the left hand on what should be a right hand shot/lay up. However her ball skills and ability to steal the ball are very good, She also played in a lower Spanish league last year, I think LF2, but I dont know if that stops her from playing in a USA college, if she wants too.

Reaction Score
Man! What a crazy bronze medal game between France and Canada! Got some happy tears right now seeing Canada win this game by coming back from being down 11, force overtime and win by 7!!!!!

Prosper and Bascoe, key starters, didn't play. Assuming injury for the both of them. A lot of players stepped up. Fournier played well. Todd (Boston College), Asare (VCU), Swords (Michigan 24 committ) and Gibb (BYU 24 committ) all made critical plays. Achol Akot (UCF committ) coming out of nowhwere with 10 points and 6 key rebounds after barely playing the last couple games.

Seen some of these players develop since they were 7, 8, 12 years old. Really happy to see them accomplish something like this. It's also a sign the Canada Basketball program is on the right track with player development. Excited to see what's next for this group.:D

Reaction Score
Fam played some of last season for Valencia in the top Spanish league, then I believe went down to a lower Spanish league

Martin is very good, but she has to work on her right hand shots. She is a lefty and I have seen too many times she swithches to the left hand on what should be a right hand shot/lay up. However her ball skills and ability to steal the ball are very good, She also played in a lower Spanish league last year, I think LF2, but I dont know if that stops her from playing in a USA college, if she wants too.

Can they be recruited to play in College? If so I think they should. Brito will be very good this coming season for Jose Fernandez and I wish Buenavida could’ve came over to play as well. They’re all very talented and should have they games showcased on the big stage.

Reaction Score
Can they be recruited to play in College? If so I think they should. Brito will be very good this coming season for Jose Fernandez and I wish Buenavida could’ve came over to play as well. They’re all very talented and should have they games showcased on the big stage.

Believe they can be however like some players in Europe, playing pro is a lucrative option to them. Kone played in Spain before being drafted into the WNBA. Playing in Europe is a pretty big stage too.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I remember a few years back a girl played for a WNBL team in Australia. I guess she was considered a junior or a "cadet" player and not compensated, other than living expenses. She then went to play at U Minnesota for a few years. I dont know the status of players in Spain, when they play in the lower level leagues. Both Martin and Fam could certainly help any NCAA team.

Reaction Score
Great final game. I didn't realize that the two teams met up in last years u17 final. Seems like there's a generation of players who will be battling for years to come. In any event, a really fun tournament to watch. A lot of competitive games, and a lot of good young talent. Probably should've posted more on how many players from other teams stood out. Spain's guards were studs! And it was cool to see Brito (USF) playing with her national team, in front of her home crowd. She always plays with fire, but she was kinda on another level throughout the tournament. On the team USA end, maybe it's always like this because the team is always deep, but I really thought basically everyone played well and that player's respective fanbases should be really excited. I was happy to see Grace Van Slooten play well. She looked amazing to start the season at Oregon and then injuries kinda put her off track. But a few months later she looked great, even as she was basically playing out of position as the team's starting center.
I thought Hannah Hildago looked pretty great all tournament. She hit outside shots, she was pretty pestering on the defensive end, and she played with a ton of energy. She had some wild takes and a couple of forced shots/turnovers but nonetheless she was impressive. I thought Breya Cunningham and Madison Booker looked really good whenever they got minutes. I'll be interested to see if they both play major minutes as freshman at their respective schools. Once again, maybe it's because it was u19, but Booker looked about as physically gifted as any wing in the tournament. I was surprised to see her listed at 6'0. As she joins a team that kinda struggled with scoring the ball, I think she can make a huge impact.
I'm pretty high on Chloe Kitts, I thought she played well this tournament. It was interesting to see her play exclusively at the 4. She finished well, she rebounded well, she ran the floor well. I also feel like she got like 3+ techs/unsportmanlike fouls lol. I don't mind it to be honest.
I thought Kiki Rice had a very nice, low key tournament as well. I know the numbers don't jump out, but I thought she consistently shot the ball with confidence which was kinda the biggest whole in her game last year. She still attacked the basket well, but she had a lot of one dribble pull-ups and even hit some open threes.
I thought it was an interesting tournament for Cotie McMahon. In some ways, she was their most experienced player/or player who had the most success in college. She played her best in the biggest game, and had the go ahead bucket. Her physicality and strength is unquestioned. I thought she forced the issue a bit, and it would have been good to see her take a bit more mid-range jumpers. Nevertheless as the torunament went on I thought she did make better decisions.
Edwards may have been the team's best player and Z was pretty good off the bench shooting threes.
Once again the tourney was a great watch. Congrats to team USA!

Reaction Score

I remember a few years back a girl played for a WNBL team in Australia. I guess she was considered a junior or a "cadet" player and not compensated, other than living expenses. She then went to play at U Minnesota for a few years. I dont know the status of players in Spain, when they play in the lower level leagues. Both Martin and Fam could certainly help any NCAA team.
Valencia has an agreement with Paterna in the second division that allows them to shuffle players back and forth. There are a couple of arrangements like that there. Fam would usually be with Valencia all week and then play with Paterna during the weekend when it made sense.

Martin did play in the third tier LF2. She played for Segle XXI, which only fields young amateur players, so she is definitely still at a place where she can decide on either path. Below a certain age, you really can't be an NCAA-ineligible professional in the EU so it is pretty rare at that age that someone is locked out of college. There are generally no amateur-only leagues in pretty much every country so almost all non-North American college women's basketball players have played with and against professionals before they head to school. Both Fam and Martin are still U19-eligible in 2025 too so they can try for a championship again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom