FIBA Schedule | The Boneyard

FIBA Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that I'm buying my tickets for the FIBA WC, I know the schedule. I thought others would be interested. The USA is in group D with China, Serbia, and Angola. We play them in order in pool play. The first 3 games are the second game of a doubleheader. The USA games are at 9:30 PM local time (2:30 PM EDT). That time should work well for most BYers.

Saturday, Sept. 27: China
Sunday, Sept. 28: Serbia
Monday, Sept. 29: Off day
Tuesday, Sept. 30: Angola

If the USA wins all 3, they advance to the medal round. Teams that go 0-3 go home. The teams that go 2-1 or 1-2 appear to have a play-in game to make the medal round. Canada could be in this situation.

Half the field (8 of 16 teams, including the USA) play in Istanbul in pool play. The other half, including Canada with Kia Nurse, play in Ankara.

The medal round is on October 3, 4, and 5. The times of the USA games are not fully certain, but it looks as if they play at about 9:30 PM in each of them as long as they keep winning. Should they lose, the schedule changes, and I just bought tickets to see teams I have far less interest in.

There will be about a half dozen BYers on site. I look forward to seeing them, sightseeing during the daytime, and watching Geno et al. earn another trip to the White House. I'm sure most of us will file frequent reports from Turkey. Life as a UConn WCBB fan is very good indeed.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Milford: do we know whether any of the games are being televised...especially the medal rounds?
I would think [hope] that if ESPN is broadcasting intrasquad scrimmages and tonight's exhibition that they
would air the tournament proper.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford: do we know whether any of the games are being televised...especially the medal rounds?
I would think [hope] that if ESPN is broadcasting intrasquad scrimmages and tonight's exhibition that they
would air the tournament proper.
Good question. My guess is the championship game, but I don't know. Maybe others can answer this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FIBA usually has these games streaming live so we should be able to get the prelims on our PCs. I think that ESPN is planning to carry the medal rounds on one of their platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Half the field (8 of 16 teams, including the USA) play in Istanbul in pool play. The other half, including Canada with Kia Nurse, play in Ankara.

Permit a couple comments about Turkey. I had the pleasure of visiting Turkey a few times during my military service. That was many years ago, to be sure, but I believe that some of the impressions I formed still hold true. I defer to CTYankee, a fellow Boneyarder (and Norwalker) who has been to Turkey often and recently -- and whom I am certain will be there with the BY delegation.

First of all, the geography of Turkey, a country straddling Asia and Europe and influenced by the cultures of both continents and sharing borders with a host of potentially unfriendly nations. Istanbul is a fascinating mix of all these cultures and results in some interesting (I'm being polite) politics and wonderful shopping and dining opportunities.

In Ankara, they have a huge monument to an amazing leader, Mustafa Kemal, upon whom the honorary name of Kemal Ataturk ("father of Turks") was bestowed. All he did was to overthrow six centuries of Ottoman culture and bring Turkey into the 20th century (including such incidentals as a new language and women's rights). Quite a guy!

I wish I could join you there to watch our USA team reel in another gold medal (and taste the cuisine and sample the bazaar shopping again). Enjoy!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ESPN 3 will televise the games in Paris - USA - Australia Friday 11:30am ETUSA - China Saturday 11:30am ET, USA - France Sunday 10:00am ET

Reaction Score
ESPN 3 will televise the games in Paris - USA - Australia Friday 11:30am ETUSA - China Saturday 11:30am ET, USA - France Sunday 10:00am ET

I checked ESPN3 and did not not see any listing for these games.

Reaction Score
ESPN3 Game Schedule for 1st Round on Sat. 9/27.
  • 7:00 AM EDT
    Canada vs. Mozambique
  • 7:15 AM EDT
    Australia vs. Cuba
  • 9:15 AM EDT
    Spain vs. Japan
  • 9:30 AM EDT
    Belarus vs. Korea
  • 12:00 PM EDT
    France vs. Turkey
  • 12:15 PM EDT
    Angola vs. Serbia
  • 2:15 PM EDT
    Czech Republic vs. Brazil
  • 9/27
    2:30 PM EDT
    USA vs. China

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I read somewhere that NBATV is televising our games...until the gold medal game on Sunday October 5 at 1:30....on espn2.

Reaction Score
ESPN3 Schedule for 2nd Round on Sun. 9/28
  • 7:00 AM EDT
    Mozambique vs. France
  • 7:15 AM EDT
    Korea vs. Australia
  • 9:15 AM EDT
    Japan vs. Czech Republic
  • 9:30 AM EDT
    China vs. Angola
  • 12:00 PM EDT
    Turkey vs. Canada
  • 12:15 PM EDT
    Cuba vs. Belarus
  • 2:15 PM EDT
    Brazil vs. Spain
  • 2:30 PM EDT
    Serbia vs. USA

Reaction Score
ESPN3 Schedule for the 3rd and Final Round of Group Play Tue. 9/30

Reaction Score

I read somewhere that NBATV is televising our games...until the gold medal game on Sunday October 5 at 1:30....on espn2.

My TV Guide Schedule is showing the USA vrs Group games on NBATV on Sat., Sun., and Tues. at 2:30 PM.

This would make it likely (though not confirmed) that NBATV will have the USA medal round games that
aren't on one of the ESPNs. (and possibly, though less likely, other non-USA medal round games)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks BY family. I can't wait to watch some basketball this weekend.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Blake you're the man... broke this news!

Reaction Score

BLAKE: an NOT positive on this, but had heard that the final was on the "U" and not the "2" of espn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ESPN3 Schedule for the 3rd and Final Round of Group Play Tue. 9/30
what happens now? When is the next game?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA will play winner of France v Brazil in the Quarterfinals on Friday. Not sure of the time but assume it's the same as the previous games (2:15 EDT).

Reaction Score
USA will play winner of France v Brazil in the Quarterfinals on Friday. Not sure of the time but assume it's the same as the previous games (2:15 EDT).
ESPN is listing the broadcast time as 2:05. Don't know the tip off time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom