FIBA Americas Championship U18 Women Gold Medal game Final USA 84 - Canada 60 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FIBA Americas Championship U18 Women Gold Medal game Final USA 84 - Canada 60

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Coming into tonight, 9 players were averaging between 7.8 ppg and 10.8 ppg.

I thought it was pretty even. Brown looked mostly good. Joens, though criticized here early on, looked good at times. As noted in another post, I liked NaLyssa Smith.

I liked our kids. Liv is more raw than I previously thought. I wouldn't take anyone over Christyn.

Now that we have seen them play 6 games, we have a better idea of exactly where they are, and what we can expect from the this season.
I recall some posters making a judgement after the first game. I said at the time I needed to see more before I could form an opinion. Now I can. You can bet Geno and staff were also watching and taking notes. Liv will be fine. The ONO we saw this week is not the same ONO we'll see in March. She'll have a full year of experience under her belt, and she will have graduated from Geno's "Boot Camp for freshmen". :cool:

Argentina won the Bronze medal tonite with a win over Colombia. They finished the tournament 4-2.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that we have seen them play 6 games, we have a better idea of exactly where they are, and what we can expect from the this season.
I recall some posters making a judgement after the first game. I said at the time I needed to see more before I could form an opinion. Now I can.

Argentina won the Bronze medal tonite with a win over Colombia. They fiinished the tournament 5-1, that one loss was to team USA in the first game.
Yeah, I had seen lots of high school and AAU video and highlights and watched Liv and Christyn in person at the Jordan Brand game. This tourney give me lots more data points.

Many of the team members were not elite players, per HoopGurl. However, most of them acquitted themselves fairly well.

Liv looked stronger in the Jordan game than in Mexico. She needs to work on her arms and be more aggressive in going for rebounds. She is smooth and can score. More strength will help her to score underneath.

I thought Christyn looked good, though her shot was off some of the time. She's strong, coordinated, smart, and smooth. She has the 3-pointer, pull-up, and ability to get to the hoop with either hand. Her repertoire is very solid for her age.

Based on what I saw, I think Geno starts a small unit with CW at the SG and MW at PF. Our tallest starters will be Lou and Pheesa. Liv will be better, but still raw in 3 months.

Reaction Score
I recall some posters making a judgement after the first game. I said at the time I needed to see more before I could form an opinion. Now I can. You can bet Geno and staff were also watching and taking notes. Liv will be fine. The ONO we saw this week is not the same we'll see in March. She'll have a full year of experience under her belt, and she will have graduated from Geno's "Boot Camp for freshmen". :cool:

Argentina won the Bronze medal tonite with a win over Colombia. They finished the tournament 5-1.
That one loss was to team USA in the first game. The USA played two 5-1 teams.

They also lost to Canada in the semifinals so they finished 4-2.

Carnac

Reaction Score
They also lost to Canada in the semifinals so they finished 4-2.

Ooops, you'right again, thanks. I got carried away. I'll edit it. :confused:

Reaction Score
The original roster for the U18 originally had 2 ND players ( Prohaska & Nixon) and 2 other Baylor players (Scott-Grayson & Egbo) right?

I also want to point out that this could be the first gold medal for the 2018 class. The previous u16/17 got bronze medals. The current batch of players that made up the recent u16/17 teams are far more elite players. Just like you stated. The u19 team next year should consist of the younger players , rather than the older ones. No player on the u18 team could break the starting lineup of the u17 team.

Scott-Grayson did not make it. It was Egbo and Smith. However, Egbo wanted to play in Italy with her team. They are currently there.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I had seen lots of high school and AAU video and highlights and watched Liv and Christyn in person at the Jordan Brand game. This tourney give me lots more data points.

Many of the team members were not elite players, per HoopGurl. However, most of them acquitted themselves fairly well.

Liv looked stronger in the Jordan game than in Mexico. She needs to work on her arms and be more aggressive in going for rebounds. She is smooth and can score. More strength will help her to score underneath.

I thought Christyn looked good, though her shot was off some of the time. She's strong, coordinated, smart, and smooth. She has the 3-pointer, pull-up, and ability to get to the hoop with either hand. Her repertoire is very solid for her age.

Based on what I saw, I think Geno starts a small unit with CW at the SG and MW at PF. Our tallest starters will be Lou and Pheesa. Liv will be better, but still raw in 3 months.
I really like ONO. Although her post moves and interior shooting are really raw, she's mobile and moves and passes fairly well from the high post. Unfortunately, she's never been taught any defensive fundamentals. Defense is played primarily by moving the feet but she reaches, grabs, and swings her arms to block shots. All habits that must be broken while learning positioning and foot movement. If Auriemma plans to play her often and early it's going to be hard for her to stay on the floor because of foul trouble. Along with getting much stronger, she has a lot of work to do but she seems like a good kid who will work so the sooner the better.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe they both found out they have a very lot to learn and if they did not they will when they start the UConn practices.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I really like ONO. Although her post moves and interior shooting are really raw, she's mobile and moves and passes fairly well from the high post. Unfortunately, she's never been taught any defensive fundamentals. Defense is played primarily by moving the feet but she reaches, grabs, and swings her arms to block shots. All habits that must be broken while learning positioning and foot movement. If Auriemma plans to play her often and early it's going to be hard for her to stay on the floor because of foul trouble. Along with getting much stronger, she has a lot of work to do but she seems like a good kid who will work so the sooner the better.

BINGO!!! You hit the nail on the head!!! Over the last 7 days, we saw (as one poster put it) a "raw" ONO. A player that has not yet had opportunity of being coached and toutored by Geno and staff. You can bet, ALL of her bad habits will be broken, as she goes through Geno's "Boot camp for freshmen", a car wash if you will guaranteed to "cleanse" all of their bad habits to date. I'm sure that Geno and staff watched (and took notes) every game team USA played in this tournament.

UConn will need ONO's presence on the floor this year, and as you said, she must remain available by staying out of foul trouble. Learning how to do that at this level may take awhile. Knowing how to guard someone closely, like blocking shots without fouling, is an art. Shot blocking is: leaping ability, spacing and timing. Everyone she will be guarding this season will be older, stronger and more mature/experienced.

Olivia like Christyn, will be on the fast track to learning the system and how to play UConn basketball. It's a track they'll be on all season. Of their 4 years in Storrs, this first one will be their most difficult. This time next year, they'll know what they are suppose to do, and will completely understnad all phases of the system. Right now like all freshmen, they don't have a clue. :confused:

They are both intelligent and willing subjects that say they are excited to be a Husky, and learn at the feet of the master. They have both said they're up for the challenge. Not only will the coaches be teaching and coaching them, but their teammates will be pouring into them daily as well. I'll be looking to see where they are at the Christmas break, when the majority of the games with ranked teams on the schedule will be behind them. Don't forget, there's that "freshman wall" that will be waiting for them around the first of the year. They'll have to cope with that dynamic also. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Perhaps Carla Berube is the better coach. May be when Geno hangs'em up, Carla should be considered to replace him.
Carla had longer with team than Jeff did, but I think she is a really good coach.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Germany won the FIBA Europe U18 tournament led by MVP Nyara Sabally who was injured in the first half of the championship game against Spain. Hungary finished 3rd followed by Latvia, Belgium and the Czech Republic. France and U19 defending champ Russia finished 7th and 8th and will miss next year's U19 World Cup. No Vadeeva no Mussina, no Russia.

Will the younger Sabally join her sister at Oregon?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Perhaps Carla Berube is the better coach. May be when Geno hangs'em up, Carla should be considered to replace him.

My thought as well...
How about: much better coach...taught her team some of the nuances of ensemble playing (musical variant of team play) and they responded...

Most coaches don't know that much on that subject.

Reaction Score
Germany won the FIBA Europe U18 tournament led by MVP Nyara Sabally who was injured in the first half of the championship game against Spain. Hungary finished 3rd followed by Latvia, Belgium and the Czech Republic. France and U19 defending champ Russia finished 7th and 8th and will miss next year's U19 World Cup. No Vadeeva no Mussina, no Russia.

Will the younger Sabally join her sister at Oregon?
You mean because of the injury (?? How bad?) she might not?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You mean because of the injury (?? How bad?) she might not?

No, just asking generally. I haven't been following her recruitment. She's a different type of player than her sister.

Reaction Score
Hungary played with all eleven of their u-17 2001's and were the only team to beat the Germans. Sabally sprained her ankle in the first half of that game but Hungary looked to be winning anyway. How they gave the MVP to a player who missed a game and over half of to others is a head scratcher. Especially when Fiebich went off in the final.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hungary played with all eleven of their u-17 2001's and were the only team to beat the Germans. Sabally sprained her ankle in the first half of that game but Hungary looked to be winning anyway. How they gave the MVP to a player who missed a game and over half of to others is a head scratcher. Especially when Fiebich went off in the final.

Thanks! Were you in Udine?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was.

Lucky you. Who were your favorite players from the tournament? I tried to watch a few games but not enough to get a good look at the best players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom