Fever Waive Lauren Cox | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fever Waive Lauren Cox

Reaction Score
I have shaken my head at the decisions made by Catch, starting with hiring Stanley as their coach. That seemed like a strange move at the time and hasn't panned out to be kind.

McCowan hasn't been bad but I have a feeling her overall physical conditioning keeps her from stringing together consecutive impact games in a row. Vivians had some quality games her rookie year but got hurt and hasn't been the same since. She's likely who she is as far as WNBA goes but there is always hope she picks it up. Waiving Cox seems strange given she hasn't done much though also hasn't really had that much time to prove herself. What are they hoping to gain by this?

We never know what goes on behind the scenes and I doubt it was a snap decision but I hope she gets picked up by someone. She isn't very quick and has her own health challenges but Cox is smart, is a great passer, and could likely help a team. ATL has some holes in the post so that could be a nice spot for her.

Reaction Score
McCowan hasn't been bad but I have a feeling her overall physical conditioning keeps her from stringing together consecutive impact games in a row.
Definitely not the worst conditioned player in the league. There’s no fat on her. Co
Waiving Cox seems strange given she hasn't done much though also hasn't really had that much time to prove herself. What are they hoping to gain by this?
Need a scapegoat for the horrible season.
We never know what goes on behind the scenes and I doubt it was a snap decision but I hope she gets picked up by someone. She isn't very quick and has her own health challenges but Cox is smart, is a great passer, and could likely help a team. ATL has some holes in the post so that could be a nice spot for her.
I was eyeing up Vegas with Joyner Holmes who seems very replaceable, but Vegas could be inviting their first round pick over after the Olympics.

ATL is running on 11 players for some reason. Maybe they could sign Cox to a prorated contract after she clears waivers.

Reaction Score
Cox has not gotten better , albeit i do think it was a quick yank to cut her she's pretty much done absolutely nothing to deserve a spot out of 144.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Stewie can play the 3, 4, or 5. Right now they have Dupree who is a waste coming off the bench. That was a stupid move signing her. Cox could easily do more for Seattle then what they get from Dupree.
I won't comment on how much Cox's potential allows compared to Dupree but I certainly think Candace has earned her keep...

Averaging close to her career in points per minutes; picks up a large number of garbage points, 100% foul shooter (smallish sample), Shooting as a whole at a reasonable percentage...a valuable vet presence. not great defender but not bad...

I can't comprehend the animosity.

Reaction Score
I won't comment on how much Cox's potential allows compared to Dupree but I certainly think Candace has earned her keep...

Averaging close to her career in points per minutes; picks up a large number of garbage points, 100% foul shooter (smallish sample), Shooting as a whole at a reasonable percentage...a valuable vet presence. not great defender but not bad...

I can't comprehend the animosity.
They paid 185,000 for a player at the end of her career. Had they paid 100,000 it still would have been too much.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
not great defender but not bad...
I think you're being generous here. She is in fact a poor defender. Maybe she was adequate at one point in her career, but not now.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Richard Cohen writing for HerHoopStats about the Fever. Like many he questions the job Catchings is doing there.

Thanks for posting this. I think Cohen touches on a lot of the overall administrative/coaching issues, so I'm going to concentrate on Lauren Cox on the post....and remember this is coming from a Domer :( ;)

- I thought Lauren Cox and Didi Richards were key defensive forces for Baylor early on against ND in the National Championship game. Richards was bothering Jackie Young early on and JY never got going, only scoring 4 pts.

Cox managed to throw off Jess Shepard and Bri Turner en route to building a 17-pt lead, before she was injured and ND roared back, led largely by Mabrey and Ogunbowale and assisted by Turner/Shepard, who no longer had Cox to hassle them.

- Cox has always struck me as a smart player who had suprisingly athletic ability in bursts. Her blocking ability for instance, lines up well with her volleyball talent.

- She's had injuries to climb back from, illnesses along the way and is dealing with a strategy on bigs that seemingly changes all the time.

- She could get an injury signing. Or, perhaps take the rest of the season "off" to recuperate, get strong, work on certain parts of her game. If Jess Shepard and Bri Turner -- who have suffered an injury or two each as well -- can work their way back, then Cox can, too. Wish her the best.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Given how little depth the Sparks have upfront, she should certainly get an opportunity in LA. Plus, she'll be reunited with former Baylor teammate Te'a Cooper.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just in time to go up against Cambage and Wilson maybe.

Reaction Score
Always reminded me of Dolson.....unsung, did a bit of everything.

Reaction Score
Always reminded me of Dolson.....unsung, did a bit of everything.
Dolson is a very good comparison. College wise, I would say Cox was a little bit better defensively. She had some more length and had better foot speed. She's a 5/4 that makes her team better, there has to be a spot for her somewhere in the W.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Dolson is a very good comparison. College wise, I would say Cox was a little bit better defensively. She had some more length and had better foot speed. She's a 5/4 that makes her team better, there has to be a spot for her somewhere in the W.
Cox was a defensive force in college (for reference, watch the championship game against ND before and after she went down with injury). Given all the injuries in LA it's a good spot for her to prove she belongs in the league. Rooting for her. Don't think she'll ever be a star in the league but could see her averaging 10ppg and 6.6rpg in the right spot

Reaction Score
Cox and Samuelson both played well last night. Karlie hit two threes (pretty amazing shots too.). Loss to Lou/Stewie/Bird and the Storm, but they came on strong in the third.

Reaction Score
Cox and Samuelson both played well last night. Karlie hit two threes (pretty amazing shots too.). Loss to Lou/Stewie/Bird and the Storm, but they came on strong in the third.
Indiana is a mess, when you have 2 players who shoot approximately 40% taking most of your shots, you are in trouble. Bad management, and bad coaching.

Reaction Score

I know this clip is short, but I don't understand why people call Lauren slow. She can obviously get into better shape, and be quicker on her feet, but she isn't slow. She can guard the perimeter-oriented 4s in spurts.

I hope she continues to get the chance to prove herself with the Sparks.

Reaction Score
Cox's father has offered up rather mild criticism of the Fever for not playing her more. I doubt that was a factor; at least I hope not.
It could be just a bad fit there. If you go by Katie Lou's experience it didn't work in Chicago but it's working out pretty well so far in Seattle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom