Fertile recruiting grounds or the right coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fertile recruiting grounds or the right coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll try to bring this back to something that actually is relevant to football:

1 - How many recruits does a program that plans on competing at a high level in FBS football need to bring in every year?
2 - How many players at that level could we realistically hope to find in state on a consistent basis year after year?

Reaction Score
I'll try to bring this back to something that actually is relevant to football:

1 - How many recruits does a program that plans on competing at a high level in FBS football need to bring in every year?
2 - How many players at that level could we realistically hope to find in state on a consistent basis year after year?
Thank you...
On your 1st point I would say at least 10, just to keep up with graduating seniors. Maybe more if you include other factors.

On your 2nd point, I would say 3 or 4 at best, and that's in a good year. I mean how many D1 players does the state produce each year? At first for a new coach, I think we'd be lucky to get one third of those, but with some program success that might improve.

Reaction Score
The urge of some to over-correct on the value of recruiting the home state is troubling.

Reaction Score
Edsall held camps. They didn't like him because he gave the coaches an honest assessment and didnt hand out token hometown discounts on scholarship offers.

You seem to be implying that P gave out token hometown discounts? Name one player? I can't think of any.

Edsall could of and should of done a better job recruiting in state. That was one area where he was not "all in". His dumb ass comment that Maryland has more talent in some individual high schools then the entire state of CT revealed the lousy attitude he had.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually many programs, Nebraska is a great example, target in state kids.

Georgia won its only national championship when they convinced an in state RB to stay at home and not go to USC.

Ohio State considers it an insult to lose a player to Michigan and vice versa. Both recruit their in state players heavily and both use in state pride as a selling tool.

And there is this.....Connecticut's best chance to land an elite player is to land an in state elite player.

That's well and good, but Connecticut kids are not cutting it.

Jordan Reed
Aaron Hernandez
John Sullivan
Scott Lutrus
Matt Shaughnessy
Dan Orlovsky
Dwight Freeney
Tebucky Jones
Donald Thomas

I count 9 players (please add any that I've missed) over the past 15+ years that have gone on to play at the next level and STUCK that are from CT. The talent level is not there. Not even close compared to the rest of the country. If you want to build the program by just CT kids, we might as well just go back to playing URI.

Recruiting is about getting the best players to come to your school, regardless of where they are from. Should a superstar come along, ok keep him home. But if we are talking mid-level players vs highly developed players, we go the highly developed route. Edsall made it by developing the lower level players, helping them mature and making them better. That way of recruiting is not going to lead to long-term sustained success. We need the freak athletes, the guys that stand out among great players. CT doesn't have that. We need to go elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom