Fertile recruiting grounds or the right coach? | The Boneyard

Fertile recruiting grounds or the right coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I know they grow 4 & 5* recruits in every dusty nook and cranny in Texas but Baylor sucked for years before Art Briles was hired. RG3's arrival helped elevate the program to national prominence and Baylor has gotten even better since he left.

This has to prove that the head coach is the x-factor, right?

I'm watching Baylor whoop Oklahoma in rebranded uniforms I personally think are the best I've seen all year. Briles took over a team and has built a program.

Don't be shocked if Baylor sneaks into the NC game.

Go get us the right coach, Warde!

Reaction Score
Its always about the head coach. Mike Price won big at Washington. State when it was called the toughest place in the country to win. Chris Peterson continues his magic at Boise. CFB is always about the head coach.

Reaction Score
You don't see the basketball program going after the best in state kids. They go after the best national kids. Yes, different sport, different # of schollies. Go get the best players and that takes the best coaches to do so.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Its always about the head coach. Mike Price won big at Washington. State when it was called the toughest place in the country to win. Chris Peterson continues his magic at Boise. CFB is always about the head coach.

Can't use those two in comparison or it ruins your argument. Which I actually agree with.

Price was 83-78 at WSU.

Chris Peterson's 90-11 record at Boise makes me think he could be Geno and Pat Summit 's love child.

Mike Price had 10 x's as many losses than Peterson has coached close wins.

You're way off course, Noey. Get yourself a new map :) .

Reaction Score
Don't discount the impact that Nebraska's move to the B1G had on the improvement of recruiting at places like TT and especially Baylor. That move was not very good for their
program recruiting wise in TX...and those 2 schools have been 2 of the MAIN benefactors. Why go to a school where you will NEVER travel to your home state to play during your career when you can play at a school that is in your home state and p,ays a fair amount of home/away games there.

Reaction Score
Can't use those two in comparison or it ruins your argument. Which I actually agree with.

Price was 83-78 at WSU.

Chris Peterson's 90-11 record at Boise makes me think he could be Geno and Pat Summit 's love child.

I didn't look up records. I know he had rose bowl teams with Ryan leaf and also very good teams with Drew Bledsoe, and Tim Rosenbach. It was labeled the toughest place in the country to win and this was obviously before the Idaho's of the world upgraded.

For comparison sake, who after Price has had similar success at WSU.

Reaction Score
You don't see the basketball program going after the best in state kids. They go after the best national kids. Yes, different sport, different # of schollies. Go get the best players and that takes the best coaches to do so.

Agree totally. When as the last time Geno or JC recruited a big time recruit from Connecticut? Not saying there have not been a few over the years though.

Reaction Score
Yes, different sport, different # of schollies.

The only important sentence in that post . . . All the top basketball programs recruit nationally. Football recruiting is more regional by its nature. Yes, everyone sifts through the major hotbeds (Florida, Texas, California), but successful football programs generally recruit well in their home regions.

Reaction Score
Actually many programs, Nebraska is a great example, target in state kids.

Georgia won its only national championship when they convinced an in state RB to stay at home and not go to USC.

Ohio State considers it an insult to lose a player to Michigan and vice versa. Both recruit their in state players heavily and both use in state pride as a selling tool.

And there is this.....Connecticut's best chance to land an elite player is to land an in state elite player.

Reaction Score
Um Andre Drummond?

Um, can you read? Like I said there have been a few over the years, my point was not many. JC's and Geno's ability to recruit outside New England is what put both programs on the map. Even Drummond, as recruiting goes, is a while ago, the summer of 2011 and it's almost 2014.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Don't discount the impact that Nebraska's move to the B1G had on the improvement of recruiting at places like TT and especially Baylor. That move was not very good for their
program recruiting wise in TX...and those 2 schools have been 2 of the MAIN benefactors. Why go to a school where you will NEVER travel to your home state to play during your career when you can play at a school that is in your home state and p,ays a fair amount of home/away games there.

Nebraska (especially when Devaney took over in the early 1960's) is an excellent case in point to the title of this thread.

There are programs that have excelled (at the top of big time college football) without being nestled in the middle of a recruiting hotbed.

Our geography is sufficient for recruiting with the right head coach. Our geography is exceptional for promotion of the program once we do reach some level of success.

Reaction Score
The moment people use basketball recruiting as a model for football recruiting, the conversation is already off track. It's not.

A great coach can win anywhere. Having said that, the cieling at different schools is not the same. Winning somewhere does not mean you can win as much, or as consistently, as somewhere else. Anyone who thinks Urban Meyer would have won multiple national championships at Utah had he stayed there for another reason is kidding themselves. Having said that, had he stayed in Utah he would have dominated MWC and repeated BCS appearances.

The point being, it's not "fertile recruiting grounds or a great coach." You want both.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Price was 83-78 at WSU.

You actually can use the two as comparisons. Both recruited border line kids from southern CA that no one else could get into school. That's what both programs were built on.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Both recruited border line kids from southern CA that no one else could get into school. That's what both programs were built on.
Wait a minute. Are you trying to claim that Ryan Leaf wasn't the ideal student athlete coming out of high school?

Reaction Score
I know they grow 4 & 5* recruits in every dusty nook and cranny in Texas but Baylor sucked for years before Art Briles was hired. RG3's arrival helped elevate the program to national prominence and Baylor has gotten even better since he left.

This has to prove that the head coach is the x-factor, right?

I'm watching Baylor whoop Oklahoma in rebranded uniforms I personally think are the best I've seen all year. Briles took over a team and has built a program.

Don't be shocked if Baylor sneaks into the NC game.

Go get us the right coach, Warde!

This is 100 percent spot duck__ing on. UConn was 2-0 against Briles/Baylor before he got things really going. Get Art Briles north and 2-3-4 years from now PP will be a distant, unpleasant memory

Reaction Score

Easier said than done.

Reaction Score
Easier said than done.
yes, easier said than done, but doable. Geno and JC didn't transform the ball programs overnight, both took time to realize their recruiting and program goals. A great football coach, if Warde can hire one, will also need time, money, and support, to get his recruiting and program goals on track. He (the next coach) will also face one BIG hurdle recruiting wise that both Geno and JC didn't face and that is being in a conference. This is where Warde and Herbst will have to work overtime to help out the new coach by getting his team in a better conference for football. Back when Geno and JC first started recruiting players, one of the things they sold to recruits was playing in the Big East conference, which back then was the premier ball conference in the land. Imagine how much more difficult their jobs would have been had UCONN not joined the Big East and ended up in the MAAC. Would Shea Ralph, Ray Allen, Emeka Okafor, Rudy Gay, Diana Taurasi, Rebecca Lobo, Maya Moore, or Donyell Marshall all have come to UCONN to play in the MAAC? Any new football coach, probably will ask Warde, before committing to UCONN, what he and Herbst are doing to get UCONN into a better conference. I mean, if we have any chance of getting a Tom Herman, a James Coley, or a Pat Narduzzi, I bet those things will be discussed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any new football coach, probably will ask Warde, before committing to UCONN, what he and Herbst are doing to get UCONN into a better conference. I mean, if we have any chance of getting a Tom Herman, a James Coley, or a Pat Narduzzi, I bet those things will be discussed.

I'm sure they will have that discussion but what do you realistically expect them to say other than everyone is in that boat "especially" the football program which I believe was the biggest factor holding UConn back from being admitted into the ACC instead of Louisville. Any new head coach has got to realize this is going to be a program building adventure in a land with very few in-state players before it can become the next B1G or ACC acquisition.

Coach P's deal with the high school coaches was to give them every opportunity to improve the quality and especially the quantity of legit D-1 talent in the state. I just hope that the next guy in picks up that ball and keeps rolling with it cause it will surely make life easier for everyone down the road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree totally. When as the last time Geno or JC recruited a big time recruit from Connecticut? Not saying there have not been a few over the years though.
is this a veiled shot at jc for not recruiting gomes?

much of uconns success has been with local talent including ct, ny, and ma.
unlike football, that is a hotbed for talent.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I don't want anything carried over from the P era - there needs to be no deals with CT HS coaches. If a kid is talented enough he is talented enough - which is fairly rare in CT - and if a HS coach wants to steer them away from CT so be it. We need in roads back to NJ and PA. Enough already with CT coaches and kids.
I would love to watch Arkeel - if he is that talented - but we ain't getting no lineman to block for him from HS Fb coaches who had 3 year deal with PP to improve quality. That hasn't seemed to work out to well for them either.

Reaction Score
is this a veiled shot at jc for not recruiting gomes?

much of uconns success has been with local talent including ct, ny, and ma.
unlike football, that is a hotbed for talent.
No, of course not. All I am was saying was that to build a great program with multiple National Championships you need to recruit on a national level especially when your home state is small and doesn't produce many 5 star recruits and is just not a hot bed of top recruits for the sport in question. This is true in both basketball and FBS football, and this is true for UCONN as well as Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennesee, etc (in men's and women's basketball) and Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, and FSU and Florida. If your school IS in a hot bed area that coach needs to get those local stars as well as the national ones.
I think you are forgetting all the great players that JC recruited nationally that helped him establish his program. Khalid El Amin was from Minnesota, Ray Allen was from South Carolina, Okafor was from Texas, Rudy Gay was from Maryland, Hamilton was from Western PA, Caron Butler was from Wisconsin, Voskhul was from Texas, Donny Marshall was from Washington State, Donyell Marshall was from PA, Ricky Moore was from Georgia, Josh Boone was from Maryland, both Marcus Williams and Kevin Ollie were from Crenshaw High in Los Angeles. Now were any of these guys I named from the states you mentioned (ny or ma) besides Connecticut, the schools home state? Same thing for Geno, he recruited all over the place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, of course not. All I am was saying was that to build a great program with multiple National Championships you need to recruit on a national level especially when your home state is small and doesn't produce many 5 star recruits and is just not a hot bed of top recruits for the sport in question. This is true in both basketball and FBS football, and this is true for UCONN as well as Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennesee, etc (in men's and women's basketball) and Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, and FSU and Florida. If your school IS in a hot bed area that coach needs to get those local stars as well as the national ones.
Did you just throw Tennessee men's basketball into the same breath as Uconn, Kentucky, Duke, and UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom