Female Assistant Coaches in Final 4, WCBB | The Boneyard

Female Assistant Coaches in Final 4, WCBB

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Graham Hays of ESPNw posted this article early this morning. It features quotes from most Head Coaches in the Final 4 -- including Geno, MM and Walz -- as well as interviews with several assistants of the teams in Columbus. If the assistant coaches are not referenced, they are referred to. A portion of the piece spends time on what opportunity may be the right one, which one may not be and Geno speaks to that, as do several of the assistant coaches. Hays keeps it very relevant by referring to a number of the D1 HC positions currently in play: Virginia, Texas Tech, Mississippi, along with Clemson and Boston College.

Female assistants have big presence in Final Four

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
the sport just needs better coaches. It doesn't need more of any type of characteristic.these type of thinly veiled anti-male hit pieces are continuously lame.

Considering 3 of the final four coaches are male. it is a bit difficult to mount a direct frontal assault.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Considering 3 of the final four coaches are male. it is a bit difficult to mount a direct frontal assault.

the funny thing is if Geno left for the men's job you'd see Hays talk about how it was bad for WBB, yet he'll write this and say that because Geno is male, him making the FF is bad for WBB.

It must be tough for Hays to stand up on Olympus and judge the mere mortals.

Reaction Score
the sport just needs better coaches. It doesn't need more of any type of characteristic.

these type of thinly veiled anti-male hit pieces are continuously lame.

Nicely put.

the Q

Reaction Score
I am really curious who gets the Virginia job.

That is a potential premium job. It's got enough tradition and history that it can make a comeback. That could create a really interesting domino chain of coaching moves.

the Q

Reaction Score

the Becky Hammond thing is baffling.

She's a beacon of progress of whatever bs he spouts, but she turned down the Florida job. Wouldn't that have been good for WCBB for her to take the job?

Guy is just off here.

Reaction Score
the funny thing is if Geno left for the men's job you'd see Hays talk about how it was bad for WBB, yet he'll write this and say that because Geno is male, him making the FF is bad for WBB.

It must be tough for Hays to stand up on Olympus and judge the mere mortals.
I think Hays does a great job. Good writer though I don't have any opinion or interest in this article.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think Hays does a great job. Good writer though I don't have any opinion or interest in this article.

he has written some great articles. No question. Will not argue that.

But when he wades into this cesspool, he just shows he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If they have nothing to write about, then they don't have a job!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I am really curious who gets the Virginia job.

That is a potential premium job. It's got enough tradition and history that it can make a comeback. That could create a really interesting domino chain of coaching moves.

Agree with you about Virginia, which was a top team for years under Debbie Ryan.

Another team that might be of interest is Clemson. The athletic department refurbished Littejohn arena in 2016 (see link below on that and other ACC arenas) and it looks as they want to get a coach that put some fannies in those redone seats. Lots of competition for talent in the Carolinas/Georgia area, but if the university can put push behind resources, there could be a good opportunity there.

Clemson hopes 'new' Littlejohn is a game changer

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
he has written some great articles. No question. Will not argue that.

But when he wades into this cesspool, he just shows he doesn't really know what he's talking about.
I guess I don't agree with your assessment on this article. Your comments have spurned some other bizarre correlations that weren't mentioned in the article. I also don't think it was a cesspool as nothing inflammatory or trite was written. Here's my take on what I read:
There are actually 349 D1 Basketball jobs in Women's CBB and 351 D1 Men's Basketball teams. That's 700 D1 coaching jobs. Hays is right, only 349 would be open to women. While Colorado State is dabbling in Becky Hammonds posting for the Men's team to replace Larry Eustacy, nothing has been even hinted at that there is serious consideration yet. Becky turned down the Florida gig because they offered far too little money for what she thought she should get. Whether that was logical or not is up for someone else to say. WCBB does not pay anywhere near as much for coaches as MCBB. Simple explanation is revenue.

As top assistants at 3 schools that do give credence to WCBB (MSU is still a work in progress) and fund the programs significantly better than most, the assistants have to assess would the new situation afford her to be successful? Again, family situations play a huge part of it. Niele Ivey and Stephanie Norman have significant family obligations as mothers, they have noted that. They balance when will the time be right to move for staying in a stable situation for the kids and themselves. With Shea Ralph now pregnant, I can't imagine her leaving to take on a new role for a struggling program like Virginia given all that she will need to do.

That's what I took from it. Not a great piece of literary reading but also not the garbage that you and others are postulating.

the Q

Reaction Score
I guess I don't agree with your assessment on this article. Your comments have spurned some other bizarre correlations that weren't mentioned in the article. I also don't think it was a cesspool as nothing inflammatory or trite was written. Here's my take on what I read:
There are actually 349 D1 Basketball jobs in Women's CBB and 351 D1 Men's Basketball teams. That's 700 D1 coaching jobs. Hays is right, only 349 would be open to women. While Colorado State is dabbling in Becky Hammonds posting for the Men's team to replace Larry Eustacy, nothing has been even hinted at that there is serious consideration yet. Becky turned down the Florida gig because they offered far too little money for what she thought she should get. Whether that was logical or not is up for someone else to say. WCBB does not pay anywhere near as much for coaches as MCBB. Simple explanation is revenue.

As top assistants at 3 schools that do give credence to WCBB (MSU is still a work in progress) and fund the programs significantly better than most, the assistants have to assess would the new situation afford her to be successful? Again, family situations play a huge part of it. Niele Ivey and Stephanie Norman have significant family obligations as mothers, they have noted that. They balance when will the time be right to move for staying in a stable situation for the kids and themselves. With Shea Ralph now pregnant, I can't imagine her leaving to take on a new role for a struggling program like Virginia given all that she will need to do.

That's what I took from it. Not a great piece of literary reading but also not the garbage that you and others are postulating.

I was using cesspool as a BY reference.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

There's a thread at McGraw's Bench pondering what will happen to the WCBB program post-McGraw. Naturally, that led to discussion on who would take the Head Coaching slot (similar threads have popped up on the Boneyard and Geno). Naturally, a lot of conversation comes up about the current Irish coaching staff and whether one of them would be considered. Opinions were rendered, questions asked. Interestingly enough, several of the quotes that Graham Hayes collected gave insight and perspective into some of those questions (Would Niele Ivey leave South Bend to take a HC position?).

Not Hays' most fluid writing, yes, but he researched it. (And given that it's probably a zoo in Columbus right now, that's not bad...).

the Q

Reaction Score
There's a thread at McGraw's Bench pondering what will happen to the WCBB program post-McGraw. Naturally, that led to discussion on who would take the Head Coaching slot (similar threads have popped up on the Boneyard and Geno). Naturally, a lot of conversation comes up about the current Irish coaching staff and whether one of them would be considered. Opinions were rendered, questions asked. Interestingly enough, several of the quotes that Graham Hayes collected gave insight and perspective into some of those questions (Would Niele Ivey leave South Bend to take a HC position?).

Not Hays' most fluid writing, yes, but he researched it. (And given that it's probably a zoo in Columbus right now, that's not bad...).

it could've easily been written, like that, without the sexist drivel.

There's some really good coaches on both staffs. Some will leave, some will stay. Will one of them get the Virginia job if they have zero HC experience? I don't know. Maybe.

Reaction Score
Graham Hays of ESPNw posted this article early this morning. It features quotes from most Head Coaches in the Final 4 -- including Geno, MM and Walz -- as well as interviews with several assistants of the teams in Columbus. If the assistant coaches are not referenced, they are referred to. A portion of the piece spends time on what opportunity may be the right one, which one may not be and Geno speaks to that, as do several of the assistant coaches. Hays keeps it very relevant by referring to a number of the D1 HC positions currently in play: Virginia, Texas Tech, Mississippi, along with Clemson and Boston College.

Female assistants have big presence in Final Four

Hey

Congrats on the big win, Im happy for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom