Feeling pretty good | The Boneyard

Feeling pretty good

Reaction Score
I remember coming on here after the Big East announcement and feeling like most of us football fans that the end was near, and I was super pissed.

After thinking for a while, I was kind of proud that we finally did something that we, as a school needed and wanted to do, without coming in here and reading how we got shot down by another conference after practically begging to get in.
I was still pissed a bit as I really thought football was in trouble.

After seeing next years schedule and knowing it will probably get better as times goes on, the excitement won't go away. I am in an incredibly great mood and I am so excited about our future in all sports.

I love going to away games. I am ready for a trip to Mississippi, and to San Jose State, Virginia and probably 1 more. Unfortunately, even after begging my wife, I am unable to go to the Illinois game as it is my wedding anniversary, and she has decided I have missed too many of them going to football games. I'm not going to stop trying, maybe I can bribe her!

It is finally starting to be fun again to be a UConn fan. Better days are coming!

See you all at the UMass game Saturday.

Reaction Score
An anniversary in Chicago with a small side trip would be the perfect way to celebrate
Couldn't agree more! We were in Washington DC on the way to the Maryland game for our 30th, and we were at the Martin's Tavern and the owner was a huge Oklahoma fan. We talked football for about an hour until we heard on the TV that Notre Dame was leaving the Big East for the ACC. Ruined my mood, but my wife was happy that I stopped talking about football on our anniversary.

Reaction Score
I remember coming on here after the Big East announcement and feeling like most of us football fans that the end was near, and I was super pissed.

After thinking for a while, I was kind of proud that we finally did something that we, as a school needed and wanted to do, without coming in here and reading how we got shot down by another conference after practically begging to get in.
I was still pissed a bit as I really thought football was in trouble.

After seeing next years schedule and knowing it will probably get better as times goes on, the excitement won't go away. I am in an incredibly great mood and I am so excited about our future in all sports.

I love going to away games. I am ready for a trip to Mississippi, and to San Jose State, Virginia and probably 1 more. Unfortunately, even after begging my wife, I am unable to go to the Illinois game as it is my wedding anniversary, and she has decided I have missed too many of them going to football games. I'm not going to stop trying, maybe I can bribe her!

It is finally starting to be fun again to be a UConn fan. Better days are coming!

See you all at the UMass game Saturday.
It was a bold move for UCONN football. Took matters into their own hands and control their destiny. Leaving the comfort of a conference whose future already had a ceiling that wasn’t very high.

Reaction Score
It was a bold move for UCONN football. Took matters into their own hands and control their destiny. Leaving the comfort of a conference whose future already had a ceiling that wasn’t very high.
UConn could be on to something, with the independence route. If they do succeed and others follow suit my hope is seeing the value of ESPN+ drop to zero.

Reaction Score
UConn could be on to something, with the independence route. If they do succeed and others follow suit my hope is seeing the value of ESPN+ drop to zero.
First, I subscribe to ESPN+ and it’s pretty good. Picture quality is good when I watch it. In general, I only watch live sports on linear TV and stream most other content, plus I stream ESPN3. Streaming is the future, so I don’t understand why people are so negative.

As for other schools going independent in football, I could see 2 other teams doing it: Navy and Temple. With UConn, UMass, and Army independent, they could schedule enough games. Plus, Navy has their other sports in the Patriot and Temple could try to rejoin the A10 for other sports which would make going Indy in football possible.

Reaction Score
First, I subscribe to ESPN+ and it’s pretty good. Picture quality is good when I watch it. In general, I only watch live sports on linear TV and stream most other content, plus I stream ESPN3. Streaming is the future, so I don’t understand why people are so negative.

As for other schools going independent in football, I could see 2 other teams doing it: Navy and Temple. With UConn, UMass, and Army independent, they could schedule enough games. Plus, Navy has their other sports in the Patriot and Temple could try to rejoin the A10 for other sports which would make going Indy in football possible.

Don't see why Temple would do that. It made sense for UConn because of the Big East. But without that why leave a better basketball conference for a lesser one and do independence.

Reaction Score
Don't see why Temple would do that. It made sense for UConn because of the Big East. But without that why leave a better basketball conference for a lesser one and do independence.
Temple could possibly go Indy and back to regional rivalries in the A-10 like UMass and St Joe's much like UConn did with the Big East. It's not Big East money and MSG, but they might feel less travel and the Palestra is worth leaving the American. Welcome to Aresco's unfolding nightmare

Reaction Score

With UConn gone, Temple really finds itself on an island in the AAC (Navy is only a football member). That is a recipe for disaster. If UConn can make independence work, I would not be surprised to see Temple try to do the same assuming they can go back to the A10 for non-football sports (or if they were to get BE invite, which is unlikely).

As for Navy, there are enough independent teams now to ensure they would never have trouble filling an independent schedule. I would be surprised if they are still in the AAC in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
With UConn gone, Temple really finds itself on an island in the AAC (Navy is only a football member). That is a recipe for disaster. If UConn can make independence work, I would not be surprised to see Temple try to do the same assuming they can go back to the A10 for non-football sports (or if they were to get BE invite, which is unlikely).

As for Navy, there are enough independent teams now to ensure they would never have trouble filling an independent schedule. I would be surprised if they are still in the AAC in a couple of years.
We were in a unique situation where we had an opportunity to upgrade all of our other sports in the Big East. I think Temple going back to the A-10 would be a downgrade both athletically and financially right now.

The only other school I could see going Indy (besides Navy) would be Cincinnati if the Big East had any interest in adding another. They’d be a natural fit and have more to sell than we do from a football scheduling perspective.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We were in a unique situation where we had an opportunity to upgrade all of our other sports in the Big East. I think Temple going back to the A-10 would be a downgrade both athletically and financially right now.

The only other school I could see going Indy (besides Navy) would be Cincinnati if the Big East had any interest in adding another. They’d be a natural fit and have more to sell than we do from a football scheduling perspective.

I could definitely see the Big East adding Temple and Cincy in time if both wanted to leave the AAC. Natural rivalries against Nova and Xavier respectively, and both fit the geographic footprint, adding more eyeballs in their respective large cities...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I could definitely see the Big East adding Temple and Cincy in time if both wanted to leave the AAC. Natural rivalries against Nova and Xavier respectively, and both fit the geographic footprint, adding more eyeballs in their respective large cities...
I don’t see Xavier or Nova wanting to welcome them into the BE. Think BC and us in the ACC

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I was not alluding at all to the quality of the ESPN+ broadcast, I'm sure it's first rate.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don’t see Xavier or Nova wanted to welcome them into the BE. Think BC and us in the ACC

Think BC and the ACC, but minus about 30 million in revenue.

Money talks, my friend. If they can monetize the rivalries, then money talks...

Reaction Score
I don’t see Xavier or Nova wanting to welcome them into the BE. Think BC and us in the ACC
Right now the UConn add maximizes the double round robin regular season at 20 games. Another add breaks that schedule. Just adding Temple and Cincy doesn't seem worth the schedule change to divisions.

As a Nova fan I'd welcome Temple, but that would be a split opinion of Nova fans.

I'd like to see the opportunities should the Big 12 be challenged with a Texas and Sooner departure.

Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State join the Big East. Getting Kansas, a 3rd Blue Blood into the conference, would be worth expansion. Kansas St would have to come with them, and Iowa St also fits. Creighton has new neighbors.

Marquette
DePaul
Butler
Xavier
Creighton
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St

Villanova
UConn

Georgetown
St Johns
Prov
SH
Temple
Cincy

This does not have a chance unless the B12 unravels with Texas and OK seeking greener spaces, but that scenario does have some possibility.

In football, the Indy population strengthens.

Reaction Score
Right now the UConn add maximizes the double round robin regular season at 20 games. Another add breaks that schedule. Just adding Temple and Cincy doesn't seem worth the schedule change to divisions.

As a Nova fan I'd welcome Temple, but that would be a split opinion of Nova fans.

I'd like to see the opportunities should the Big 12 be challenged with a Texas and Sooner departure.

Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State join the Big East. Getting Kansas, a 3rd Blue Blood into the conference, would be worth expansion. Kansas St would have to come with them, and Iowa St also fits. Creighton has new neighbors.

Marquette
DePaul
Butler
Xavier
Creighton
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St

Villanova
UConn

Georgetown
St Johns
Prov
SH
Temple
Cincy

This does not have a chance unless the B12 unravels with Texas and OK seeking greener spaces, but that scenario does have some possibility.

In football, the Indy population strengthens.

Zissou, you make a good point, but I'm not sure if the Big12 will impode. I like that, thou...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Think BC and the ACC, but minus about 30 million in revenue.

Money talks, my friend. If they can monetize the rivalries, then money talks...
Money does talk. I'm not sure either of those teams speak loudly enough to get a share of the revenue. Maybe Cinci.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State join the Big East. Getting Kansas, a 3rd Blue Blood into the conference, would be worth expansion.
You consider Georgetown a blue blood?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm thinking AD Dave handled this perfectly. Like Mr. Ed, he didn't speak until he had something to say. And the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Those thinking FB was doomed have been forced to reconsider. He faced a challenge no other athletic department has had to deal with and it appears he pulled it off. People here want to get rid of this guy why?

Reaction Score

Cincy won't go to any non football conference. They've got the resources to ride it out. Both $ and recruiting wise. This conference thing will blow up again.

Reaction Score

ESPN+ and streaming in general are the future. There are basically two trends, centralization and de-centralization. In the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, cable centralized programming options. Now we are going through a period of de-centralization with separate streaming services becoming the preferred method of program delivery. I suspect this willl last a long time.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

I’m not sure if going from the AAC to the Big East is an upgrade for our baseball team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom