Feeling OK about next year | The Boneyard

Feeling OK about next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just to get it out of the way, what was Guest doing on the court for 8 minutes tonight? Is Calhoun on a <20 mpg pitch count? Why did Brimah only play 19 minutes? Did Ollie make vacation reservations for this weekend?

I think we will see a big jump in a lot of the individual talent next year. Our #2 and #3 scorers this year were new to the team, and Brimah missed a lot of the offseason recovering from an injury and is closing the season healthy this year. UConn PG's generally make a big jump between sophomore and junior year. While I think Samuel's ceiling isn't that high, I am not ready to write him off.

This team doesn't seem to have an offensive identity. I think there is talent on this team, but they just aren't on the same page offensively. Samuel was drilling a hole in the floor, going nowhere with his dribble on half the possessions and burning a lot of clock in the process. There is way too much desperation, 1 on 1 play late in the shot clock by Hamilton and Purvis because whatever was supposed to happen on offense didn't happen and the team realizes it needs a bailout with 5 seconds left. I can see why Ollie has been calling so many plays, because this team does not create well for each other when it has to improvise.

Basketball is not a rotisserie sport. I think UConn's biggest problem is one of missing on court chemistry, not missing players. Of course I would like another shooter and another ball handler, and if there are any 5th year seniors that fit that bill, Ollie should close them. 4*'s and 5*'s are always nice. That said, I don't think this team played to its potential, and I would like to see better team play on both ends next year. If we get it, I think the team could be a lot better.

Reaction Score
Would tend to agree. Certainly having a PG coming in next year helps a lot and hopefully he can fill some minutes and run everything. Samuel is a useful player, but mostly as an off the bench replacement guard. He can penetrate and draw contact well, but isn't a ball distributor, isn't a great shooter, and is probably average at best in transition. If we can get 10-12 quality minutes a night from him, a few buckets, draw a couple fouls, etc. that'll be a plus. This offseason is key for Brimah to better his offensive game, he has to do that both for the team's prospects and his own. Hamilton should spend a bit of time in the weight room adding a bit of bulk, but he's got a boatload of talent and the offense for the foreseeable future will be running through him and Purvis. There are definitely quality pieces to build from here, we'll see how Adams fits in and if anyone else is added. If guys hang around, I think we're a solid team next year, and potentially a national contender the year after.

caw

Reaction Score
Ohh, hell, I agree with Nelson.

The main reason I'm Ok with next year is that UConn lost a lot of close games this year. That is a hallmark of an inexperienced team. Next year the team will not be as inexperienced, hopefully that translates.

There are way too many people going way too negative on this team and individual players.

Brimah may not have lived up to some people's expectations but he is much improved from last year. So he isnt Okafor or Thabeet yet, he's still pretty darn good.

Hamilton and Purvis have show good growth during the season which showed a freshman adjusting and a player who sat out a season adjusting. I would be shocked if they both weren't more consistent next year.

Calhoun is playing similarly to his freshman year, if not better on defense. He will be a solid sixth man next year.

Samuel had a down year with more responsibility, he still seems like he could be a solid bench player, especially if Hamilton and Purvis can take over more facilitator roles.

The four and the back up bigs are my question mark. At least with Enoch UConn will have 5 bigs and not just 4 or 3.

Obviously Adams is a freshman but I really think he's going to be good sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Good thread sometimes it's hard to come here with all the negativity as my thinking can get that way.

Great point about all the close losses.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We didn't know how to finish off close games with leads or maintain momentum when we came back to ties. All learning lessons

Reaction Score
We didn't know how to finish off close games with leads or maintain momentum when we came back to ties. All learning lessons
We also came out of the gate too slow. Same thing our 2003 and 2008 teams did. Fell behind, came rallying back. Those teams won more of those come backs than these kids did, though.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern going forward is that I saw way too many easy layups for the opposition this year. More than last year. I guess Giffey was a big part of preventing that? And Deandre too? Because we brought back our bigs this year. I can't remember having seen so many easy layups for the opposition. And I'm not talking about transition hoops here (which would be understandable, if your offense is not shooting well).

I think this should be correctable. And I hope Adams, who has a year on many incoming frosh, will be on campus in June working with Purvis and Hamilton.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Basketball, more than any other sport, requires precise, coordinated timing for teams to be effective. The ability of teams to "get on the same page" is what determines success and failure, as much as talent. All these teams have talent and all the coaches are good and know how to teach plays. I am talking about split second improvements, so that the help defense arrives in time to contest a shot instead of having to foul. Or a wing recognizes the PG has a step on his defender and cuts to the basket for an easy dunk or layup, instead of moving late and the PG having to take a contested pull up when the help defense arrives.

It is that next level of synchronicity that decides how far a team will go. All our championship teams had it. The 1999 team had it on a level we will probably never see again. Despite only having 1 future NBA starter, that team was dominating that year. I think the 2004 team did not have it quite as much, but the talent level was so high it didn't matter. The 2006 team did not have it despite being the most talented team in basketball that year. How far a coach can get teams, year after year, onto the same page is what separates bad coaches from good coaches from great coaches.

This team doesn't have it. Samuel didn't seem to even know what he was looking for half the time last night, and would burn 10 or 15 seconds dribbling towards the sideline and then make a meaningless pass back to the middle forcing Purvis or Hamilton to have to create 1 on 1. I think Nolan's dunk was the only one we had in the half court, and I don't recall many layups off assists. On Nolan's baseline jumper, he actually seemed surprised to get the ball, and he turned a wide open shot into a contested jumper. UConn made a lot of tough shots last night, which is better than missing them, but I would prefer more easy shots. On defense, we do not switch well or provide help defense. ASU shot over 50% from the field, and they were getting a lot of easy baskets.

"Team" play almost always improve over time as a cohort sticks together, and I would expect this team to be no different. I just don't know how much they will improve.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My biggest concern going forward is that I saw way too many easy layups for the opposition this year. More than last year. I guess Giffey was a big part of preventing that? And Deandre too? Because we brought back our bigs this year. I can't remember having seen so many easy layups for the opposition. And I'm not talking about transition hoops here (which would be understandable, if your offense is not shooting well).

I think this should be correctable. And I hope Adams, who has a year on many incoming frosh, will be on campus in June working with Purvis and Hamilton.

UConn is a really easy team to screen. Hamilton still doesn't fight through picks well and only a few of the players recognize the switches as fast as they should.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting Nolan and Omar to step up in their senior years. I don't see them letting their UConn careers go out the way they have over the whole of this past season.

In this past Arizona State game, we got to see some pieces of what we have to work with, outside of the obvious that Hamilton and Purvis are going to be our main scorers. Both Facey and Nolan received lobs, and I'll be damned if Nolan hasn't picked up his game in a huge way with his intensity, rebounding and that shot he's developed looks nice! Lubin is a force to box out in the paint. Terrance actually showed the flashes of actually driving to the hoop and making aggressive plays that we saw in the NCAA tourney last year (needs to do more of this IMO, he isn't a shooter, but he can make most of his FT's).

I agree that the team chemistry was lacking all year on the court, and I am confident that they will fix that. Even without them pulling off the win, it was a breath of fresh air to see them make that comeback from what, 15? or so points... without Boat in! There is a lot to be happy about with the pieces we have, and Adams and Enoch will be a great addition.

Reaction Score
I hope Adams has a good handle because we need someone who can get a good shot off whenever he wants. When the shot clock was winding down it looked very ugly, car wreck ugly last night. Tsam played pretty good but doesnt have handle to break down his defender and get a good shot. Hes more a of attack if they give him space, lets just ignore the pull up air ball jumper from the free throw line.

Otherwise you add Adams and eveyrone being a year older I like our team. Rebounding will be an issue still unless Facey or Brimah put on 30 pounds. We took alot of shots where we missed and we didnt have one guy in the paint for a rebound.

Reaction Score
We are in better shape for next year than we were going into this year. Going into this year we had Boat, a highly rated freshman (Hamilton), a sophomore center coming off of surgery, Purvis who didn't play last year, Nolan, and Facey who barely played last year and Calhoun coming off multiple surgeries and injuries. We lost Napier, DD and Giffey who were with Boat the nucleus of our championship team. Still there were huge expectations for this team.

We lose Boat, but get everyone back plus Adams and Enoch. I think Brimah will develop, Purvis and Hamilton will get better and Facey will improve.

Reaction Score
I feel like next year will be the like 2007-2008 team. If we can carry Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, and Amida into the 2016-2017 season, we will be dangerous. If we can keep the roster intact and add a 5* guy (VJ King come on down!) then we will have a wire to wire dominant team.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Hamilton will take the biggest leap next year, he has all the tools and if he puts it together there isn't much he can't do on the basketball court offensively.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Mike Tyson said if best, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit."

Every basketball coach has a plan until he runs into a Jordan.
People had lots of plans last year to stop UConn.
Then Bazz started hitting 25 footers as he came up the floor.
Coaches had plans to stop Kareem, Bird, Magic, Wilt, Duncan etc.
How did that work out for them?
In basketball you need studs. That's the plan.

Fortunately, we got three lined up for next season: Adams, DHam and Purvis.

Last edited:

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
When Boatright wasn't on the court, we only had two players that could score. Opposing teams knew that DHam and Purvis were the only two players that could consistently create plays. Samuel and Calhoun were good for a drive through the lane or two, and Calhoun could at least spot up a three. Brimah, Nolan, and Facey had almost zero ability to create for themselves.

Adams, I believe, will be able to easily fill the role of the third scorer. I know highlights are not an effective indicator of performance, blah blah blah, but he shows ridiculous athleticism and offensive tenacity. I think he has a high floor, but an even higher ceiling. He will not be nearly as important or effective as Boatright was, but he shouldn't have to be.

We are going to be in the same position next year as we were in this year. One bad OOC loss, close losses to high RPI teams. But if they can gel around conference time (and our conference SHOULD be a little stronger next year), we might be able to finish better than 10-8. (14-2, or 13-3 with no bad losses to houston should get us a bid)

The title of this thread is spot on, I feel OK about next year. I'm optimistic about the future of the UConn Huskies and already can't wait for the next tip.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ollie said we were going to run a lot this year, and we never ran. Once we get Purvis, Adams, and Hamilton out in transition...look out!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When Boatright wasn't on the court, we only had two players that could score. Opposing teams knew that DHam and Purvis were the only two players that could consistently create plays. Samuel and Calhoun were good for a drive through the lane or two, and Calhoun could at least spot up a three. Brimah, Nolan, and Facey had almost zero ability to create for themselves.

Adams, I believe, will be able to easily fill the role of the third scorer. I know highlights are not an effective indicator of performance, blah blah blah, but he shows ridiculous athleticism and offensive tenacity. I think he has a high floor, but an even higher ceiling. He will not be nearly as important or effective as Boatright was, but he shouldn't have to be.

We are going to be in the same position next year as we were in this year. One bad OOC loss, close losses to high RPI teams. But if they can gel around conference time (and our conference SHOULD be a little stronger next year), we might be able to finish better than 10-8. (14-2, or 13-3 with no bad losses to houston should get us a bid)

The title of this thread is spot on, I feel OK about next year. I'm optimistic about the future of the UConn Huskies and already can't wait for the next tip.

What big guy does create for himself? Big guys need little guys to get them the ball, and when you have a good big guy, he makes the little guys look a lot better (see Emeka and Taliek). I think Nolan has some OK post moves and hook shots, and Brimah should be a 15 ppg guy next year. Brimah shot 67% from the field this year. We need to get him the ball more.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Hamilton will take the biggest leap next year, he has all the tools and if he puts it together there isn't much he can't do on the basketball court offensively.

I agree with this and also expect a big improvement next year. However one area he needs to really improve is his shooting and shot selection. He got into the lane almost at will, but short-armed way too many of his shots. On the perimeter, he needs to set his feet and get his mind ready to shoot when he receives a pass and take the shot if it's there. This year he hesitated too much giving the D time to react and ended up not shooting. He needs to develop that shooter's mentality.

Reaction Score
What big guy does create for himself? Big guys need little guys to get them the ball, and when you have a good big guy, he makes the little guys look a lot better (see Emeka and Taliek). I think Nolan has some OK post moves and hook shots, and Brimah should be a 15 ppg guy next year. Brimah shot 67% from the field this year. We need to get him the ball more.

I have to say that every time I see Brimah with the ball down low, I keep hoping he brings it out 12-15 feet and elevates for a jumper!!!

Reaction Score
The lack of ball handling is astounding at this level for this team. Some of these guys have a very hard time hanging on to the ball let alone dribbling against a defense.
The timing aspect of the ball not be caught, dribbled or passed cleanly shouldn't be overlooked. It throws off everyone on offense and most times leads to bad or no shots.

Transition defense was bad this year. Gave up way to many easy hoops. A lot of them coming after we scored on the other end.

In general guys most of the time never look ready to shoot the ball.

AB reminds me of a baseball player that just looks to hit homeruns.

AB goes for the blocks all the time and leaves the middle open. I'll give him a pass on the lack of strength this year due to his off season injury, but he has to become a much better rebounder-the blocks will come.

I think PN and Lubin gave us some nice minutes down the stretch this year.

Honestly TSam, PN and Omar are 10-15 rotation players tops. if these guys are logging serious minutes next year we are in trouble.

Roc could be the PF we need time will tell.

KO and staff have to bring in some fresh blood to go along with Adams and Enoch. Ball handlers, shooters and a rebounder.

Reaction Score
We are in better shape for next year than we were going into this year. Going into this year we had Boat, a highly rated freshman (Hamilton), a sophomore center coming off of surgery, Purvis who didn't play last year, Nolan, and Facey who barely played last year and Calhoun coming off multiple surgeries and injuries. We lost Napier, DD and Giffey who were with Boat the nucleus of our championship team. Still there were huge expectations for this team.

We lose Boat, but get everyone back plus Adams and Enoch. I think Brimah will develop, Purvis and Hamilton will get better and Facey will improve.
Nolan who barely played last year? He was our starting center last year. Wow people forget some things fast. He played almost the exact same minutes last year as he did this year. It was nice to see him playing better at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Ohh, hell, I agree with Nelson.

The main reason I'm Ok with next year is that UConn lost a lot of close games this year. That is a hallmark of an inexperienced team. Next year the team will not be as inexperienced, hopefully that translates.

There are way too many people going way too negative on this team and individual players.

Brimah may not have lived up to some people's expectations but he is much improved from last year. So he isnt Okafor or Thabeet yet, he's still pretty darn good.

Hamilton and Purvis have show good growth during the season which showed a freshman adjusting and a player who sat out a season adjusting. I would be shocked if they both weren't more consistent next year.

Calhoun is playing similarly to his freshman year, if not better on defense. He will be a solid sixth man next year.

Samuel had a down year with more responsibility, he still seems like he could be a solid bench player, especially if Hamilton and Purvis can take over more facilitator roles.

The four and the back up bigs are my question mark. At least with Enoch UConn will have 5 bigs and not just 4 or 3.

Obviously Adams is a freshman but I really think he's going to be good sooner rather than later.

More experienced, yes, overall but one of my biggest concerns is the lack of experience at PG. I suspect Adams will be an impact freshman but you just don't what you're going to get. Hamilton is a very good rebounder for a skinny small forward and we desperately need to add a big who is going to grab at least six rebounds. I'm really hoping with a full, healthy offseason that Brimah can add some solid back to the basket moves. Even one decent move could keep the defense honest and open up some outside shots and cuts to the hoop.

Could this really have been Nelson posting? One of my all-time favorite screen names but least favorite posters. If this is a new Nelson Muntz, I like it.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I told my old man we'd have a tough time finding points this year, and we did. He said to me that all Purvis wanted was to be part of the team and towards the end of the season that happened. I think that game 3 of the AAC tourney was great for him. He needed the crowd to have his back.

Our bigs are all serviceable but not much more than that which is fine. We'll need a good rotation of Rock, Nolan, AB, Facey, and Enoch next year. Weve got to have 15pts and 15 rbs out of the crowd every night next year.

A bad taste in your mouth at the end of a season can be a motivational wonder and I hope next years team can play with a chip on their shoulder. We've got to have an edge and play pissed off at times. We've also got to stop coming out like the crowd does to the game .... late.

A trip to Puerto Rico or the Bahamas would be good for our club next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom