FedEx backs Memphis with big NIL | The Boneyard

FedEx backs Memphis with big NIL

Reaction Score
5 mil a year for the next 5 years. They’ve always been behind Memphis Athletic Dept. I think this is the future of college athletics. Need a massive corporate sugar daddy. Especially the non-p2/3/4 or whatever it will be.

Reaction Score
With the expectation of realignment musical chairs I'm sure. In December the Smith family (FedEx) also donated $50 million to help with the renovation of the Liberty Bowl which is now owned by the University. That 220 million renovation is going to begin in a couple of months.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm using UPS to ship from here on in.
Yup, gotta boycott them sonsabitches. Their trucks are a menace in our neighborhood too. I'm sure it's against policy but I've seen them backing into driveways which is really a disaster waiting to happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn should become an NIL behemoth with all the corporate headquarters there are in Connecticut, the massive hedge fund industry, and being one of the wealthiest states in the country. There is no pro sports competition for advertising dollars, nor will there ever be. UConn is the only show in town.

If we are not one of the Top 20 NIL schools across all sports within 5 years, someone is doing something VERY WRONG at the athletic department.

Reaction Score
UConn should become an NIL behemoth with all the corporate headquarters there are in Connecticut, the massive hedge fund industry, and being one of the wealthiest states in the country. There is no pro sports competition for advertising dollars, nor will there ever be. UConn is the only show in town.

If we are not one of the Top 20 NIL schools across all sports within 5 years, someone is doing something VERY WRONG at the athletic department.
Absolutely. If Benedict leaves (I’m not sure he is) we need someone with corporate background.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Well, they'd have to see uconn as a viable means to get what they want. I assume fedex is targeting Memphis because it gets them local favor when they want something done.

What does advertising at uconn do for a CT based hedge fund? If they don't care about local good will then they won't do it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, they'd have to see uconn as a viable means to get what they want. I assume fedex is targeting Memphis because it gets them local favor when they want something done.

What does advertising at uconn do for a CT based hedge fund? If they don't care about local good will then they won't do it.

I forget, are you still pretending to be a UConn fan?

Reaction Score
I forget, are you still pretending to be a UConn fan?
Are they going to give money to uconn because they exist? Yes or no?

Edit: you should see the complaining from my political allies when I punch holes in their stupid ideas.

I'm sorry I don't huff the uconn paint fumes. Sure I'd love it if traveler's dropped half a million on NIL.

FedEx is buying something with their money in Memphis. They don't love the school all of the sudden.

Edit #2: why would I hate uconn if you gave me my damned doctorate. Is there behaviors I think are stupid. Oh God yes. Am I better off when UConn does well. Yes.

Reaction Score

The best chance we'd have is probably CT's insurance companies. Mainly because they're full of Uconn alumni and compete for Uconn grads. Maybe groups like Sikorski, others that also would like to encourage hard-to-get technical employees to their organizations.

Agree, hedge-funds and investment banks could care less, not least of which because they hire from Ivy League business schools and have no problem recruiting talent, and no need to advertise to customers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The best chance we'd have is probably CT's insurance companies. Mainly because they're full of Uconn alumni and compete for Uconn grads. Maybe groups like Sikorski, others that also would like to encourage hard-to-get technical employees to their organizations.

Agree, hedge-funds and investment banks could care less, not least of which because they hire from Ivy League business schools and have no problem recruiting talent, and no need to advertise to customers.

Hedge fund employees and I-Bankers also have massive egos and lots of money to throw around. And because many of them went to Ivy League schools or Litte Ivy's, they don't have a big time athletic program to root for. Also, there are a lot of UConn grads at these places, so there is a hook back to the only show in town in the state.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are they going to give money to uconn because they exist? Yes or no?

Edit: you should see the complaining from my political allies when I punch holes in their stupid ideas.

I'm sorry I don't huff the uconn paint fumes. Sure I'd love it if traveler's dropped half a million on NIL.

FedEx is buying something with their money in Memphis. They don't love the school all of the sudden.

Edit #2: why would I hate uconn if you gave me my damned doctorate. Is there behaviors I think are stupid. Oh God yes. Am I better off when UConn does well. Yes.

You don't punch holes in anyone's ideas. You just recycle the same tired trash talk at UConn. There are many posters that have gotten multi-day and even weeklong bans for much less trolling than you do on a daily basis.

Reaction Score
I find it completely incongruous that institutions of higher education which have athletic departments as part of their mission to educate are now fully imbedded in professional athletics. For the vast amount of college athletics, including some in the P4, this model is simply not going to work. For some it may not even be about the money. Why does Stamford need to play this game with the academic reputation that it has? The Ivies made a very sound decision years ago - they new what their mission was and stuck to it.

Reaction Score
Bridgewater Associates pledges 80 mil a year to UConn with the owner quoted as saying "It just keeps flowing in and we were running out of places to put it"

Reaction Score
Bridgewater Associates pledges 80 mil a year to UConn with the owner quoted as saying "It just keeps flowing in and we were running out of places to put it"

Ray Dalio is about as deliberate a business person as you are ever likely to meet. I would be very suprised if that 80 mil isn't pinpoint directed/restricted and it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that athletics is not at the top of the list. That's meaningful coin even for him and BWA.

Reaction Score
I find it completely incongruous that institutions of higher education which have athletic departments as part of their mission to educate are now fully imbedded in professional athletics. For the vast amount of college athletics, including some in the P4, this model is simply not going to work. For some it may not even be about the money. Why does Stamford need to play this game with the academic reputation that it has? The Ivies made a very sound decision years ago - they new what their mission was and stuck to it.
The Ivies have billions and billions of dollars and unlimited backing of billionaires which they tend to reproduce. They don't need to play the game. They automatically have branding. No others will catch up to them financially.

Reaction Score
Stanford is right there with Harvard and Yale in endowment and is so desperate to play the game it just joined an Atlantic coast conference which is on the verge of becoming a G conference. It makes no sense for a school of that caliber. Although it's not quite Ivy League

I think hedge fund managers would be very interested in having Big 10 alumni coming to Connecticut, not that UConn really has a chance there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Stanford is right there with Harvard and Yale in endowment and is so desperate to play the game it just joined an Atlantic coast conference which is on the verge of becoming a G conference. It makes no sense for a school of that caliber. Although it's not quite Ivy League

I think hedge fund managers would be very interested in having Big 10 alumni coming to Connecticut, not that UConn really has a chance there.

NIL happened 2 years ago, and the market is still figuring it out. It is way too early to draw any conclusions about how things are going to shake out.

Reaction Score
The Ivies have billions and billions of dollars and unlimited backing of billionaires which they tend to reproduce. They don't need to play the game. They automatically have branding. No others will catch up to them financially.

Does the academic standing of schools like Stamford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Cal., BC, Duke, even state schools like Virginia and Michigan require that they play in this new realm of college athletics? I'm not saying they are going to thow in the towel tomorrow. But, I think it is certainly in the realm of possibility that as costs escalalte for pay to play (NIL as it continues to evolve), schools will question whether the cost is justified and is even remotely related to their core mission as academic institutions.

Reaction Score
Does the academic standing of schools like Stamford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Cal., BC, Duke, even state schools like Virginia and Michigan require that they play in this new realm of college athletics? I'm not saying they are going to thow in the towel tomorrow. But, I think it is certainly in the realm of possibility that as costs escalalte for pay to play (NIL as it continues to evolve), schools will question whether the cost is justified and is even remotely related to their core mission as academic institutions.

Situational...how sustainable depends on school and circumstance.

Michigan is ranked #4 in AD budget...but has 0 dollars from student fees and less than $200,000 from school funds. No real burden on school/government.

UConn's AD funding has $49 million in school funding and $6.5 million in student fees.

Can UCF sustain ? Currently $14.32 per credit hour tacked on to support the AD...

Interesting article about student/school support of athletic departments...

UCF keeps athletic programs competitive with student fees​

Reaction Score
Lots of schools have alums with deep pockets. Many alums prefer to support the academic standings versus athletic success.
I am sure Uconn gets big donations from graduates who have zero interest in the athletic dept

Reaction Score
Situational...how sustainable depends on school and circumstance.

Michigan is ranked #4 in AD budget...but has 0 dollars from student fees and less than $200,000 from school funds. No real burden on school/government.

UConn's AD funding has $49 million in school funding and $6.5 million in student fees.

Can UCF sustain ? Currently $14.32 per credit hour tacked on to support the AD...

Interesting article about student/school support of athletic departments...

UCF keeps athletic programs competitive with student fees​

That's exactly my point. Can Michigan support the financial commitment to be competitive given where big-time college athletics is headed? Probably.

Northwestern, Vanderbilt, BC, etc.......? I'm not so sure. If not, they will be relegated to a non-competitive status and eventually have to ask is competing at that level worth it and core to their mission.

Reaction Score
Lots of schools have alums with deep pockets. Many alums prefer to support the academic standings versus athletic success.
I am sure Uconn gets big donations from graduates who have zero interest in the athletic dept

Someone mentioned before that Bridgewater Associates (Dalio) give generously to UCONN. Assuming that's accurate, it's really hard for me to see where a person like Ray Dalio gives big coin to the UCONN AD and says go ahead, pay kids lots of money to play hoops. It's just totally incongruous to his philanthropic approach.

Folks think this is a quick fix and I just don't think it is. I think that the big-time college athletic model is inherently broken and will take a bit of time to evolve. When it does, there will be a lot less schools playing at the top level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom