Federal prosecutors have filed additional counts against ex-Adidas rep Jim Gatto in CBB scandal: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Federal prosecutors have filed additional counts against ex-Adidas rep Jim Gatto in CBB scandal:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How many players do they have to find were paid at Louisville, while they were on probation for providing hookers to players and recruits, before they get the death penalty?
FIFY

Really you'd think one would be enough.

Reaction Score
Adidas paid one KU player 20K to repay Nike because he took money from them to go to another school.

I think the rumor is that it was de Sousa and it was Under Armour and Maryland.

Reaction Score
Louisville program is not going to get the death penalty...no matter what is handed down to them, unless it is ""YOU MAY NEVER PARTICIPATE IN NCAA DIV 1 HOOPS AGAIN...EVER"...they will be back...and they will be good...and it won't take long.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Adidas paid one KU player 20K to repay Nike because he took money from them to go to another school.

This made no sense to me. If a recruit gets paid by two different shoe companies, why pay either one of them back? Double dipping is a proud American tradition.

Reaction Score
Louisville program is not going to get the death penalty...no matter what is handed down to them, unless it is ""YOU MAY NEVER PARTICIPATE IN NCAA DIV 1 HOOPS AGAIN...EVER"...they will be back...and they will be good...and it won't take long.
They do have Steve Enoch.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
So if a "booster" who is not directly connected to the school loans a kid a car and gives his mother a "job", that's a violation. But if a shoe company that has a contract with the school pays mom directly, that may be illegal, but it's not an NCAA violation, because "We don't hold the student athlete responsible for the wrongdoing of his relatives" or some such crap.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
So if a "booster" who is not directly connected to the school loans a kid a car and gives his mother a "job", that's a violation. But if a shoe company that has a contract with the school pays mom directly, that may be illegal, but it's not an NCAA violation, because "We don't hold the student athlete responsible for the wrongdoing of his relatives" or some such crap.

If a student-athlete isn't responsible for wrongdoing by a parent, then why was Boatright suspended at the beginning of his freshman season because they suspected some bag man gave his mother money to pay for some Christmas gifts? Wasn't he suspended more than once for various numbers of games eventually adding up to about six?

I think the distinction made in the Cam Newton Sweepstakes orchestrated by his dad is the NCAA went along with the fairy tale that Cam had no idea what dad was doing behind his back. You'd think Boatright's case would have been somewhat similar, but unfortunately for Ryan, he wasn't the high profile starting QB for a No. 1 NCAA team. Also Emmert being in charge of the NCAA didn't help, either.

Trying to determine the NCAA's motivation for rule enforcement or lack thereof is a useless exercise in futility. It never makes any logical sense. They personify the terms arbitrary and capricious.

Reaction Score
So this is all been going on for a long time and instead of the NCAA spending their time cracking down on something so abhorrent they're investigating UConn for too many summer practices? Only the NCAA. Smh

The NCAA is looking into Depaul, too! They take any hint of a rules violation very seriously and investigate them all vigorously!*

*Unless coaches are using sneaker companies to pay recruits to come to their school. Then there's nothing they can do.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
[Sarcasm]I really feel for Kansas, being a victim and all. You have those rat bastards at Adidas forcing top recruits on them, many of them I'm sure Bill Self didn't want.[/Sarcasm]
To think Kansas, or any other school, is a victim is a load of crap. Someone must be identifying the recruits that Kansas would like targeted, unless I'm to believe that Adidas was truly forcing these players on them. Fry them all!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
[Sarcasm]I really feel for Kansas, being a victim and all. You have those rat bastards at Adidas forcing top recruits on them, many of them I'm sure Bill Self didn't want.[/Sarcasm]
To think Kansas, or any other school, is a victim is a load of crap. Someone must be identifying the recruits that Kansas would like targeted, unless I'm to believe that Adidas was truly forcing these players on them. Fry them all!

Yeah, imagine poor Billy Self being forced to use players he had nothing to do with recruiting, that were foisted upon him by the shoe companies, without his knowledge or approval. Oh, the horror! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Why the FBI would say Kansas was 'victimized' in their indictment is one of the most peculiar parts of this story. Why go out of your way to pre-clear the school by using that word in particular? Doesn't make any sense

Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me how Kansas is a “victim” when multiple recruits got paid money to go there? From the brief quotes I read via Zagoria, seems like Billy Preston and Di Silva both took a good chunk of money.
They are a victim because they paid and got little in return....isn't it obvious. Think the NCAA should give them an extra scholarship for their suffering.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom