Feb 5th Polls | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Feb 5th Polls

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This. The writers have us #1, the coaches have us #1, analytics would have us #1 if they adjusted for injuries, and people here pay attention to what people say on Twitter as if it matters?

I'm glad I'm old. This has become a very strange world. Especially since it doesn't matter anyway because every team in the conversation will be in the Tourney in March anyway.
You’re taking this more seriously than I did.

Reaction Score
Does beating St. John's at MSG by 13 w/o Karaban warrant losing three first place votes or am I nitpicking?
Purdue still beat #6 is Indian and unc beat 12(?) Duke. They weigh more.

Reaction Score
Stephon Castle- what a tough kid! Love him but he never smiles- or does he? I searched and finally found him smiling:
IMG_0632.jpeg

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I've really grown to dislike the word "best". I mean the ultimate loser's lament is "the best team didn't win". I love to reply, "maybe not; but the winners won".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you are going to use analytics for UConn, you need to use only the games where he DC played to judge the team fairly. Especially, defensive metrics. His inclusion makes that much difference. That we won all those games without him speaks to the intangibles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the best argument against playing any team ranked lower than #300, maybe even 250. It does nothing to prepare a team for the Big East part of the schedule: offensively, defensively, or for players' attitudes.

I look at the KenPom rating (UConn currently 28.65) and compare it to the opponent's rating - Butler currently 14.63 - add in a +3/+4 for home court advantage and deem it the point spread. So UConn should be favored by 17 or so for Tuesday's game. If we look at a game vs the #200 team: Texas A&M, Corpus Christi, rated -3.18, UConn would be favored by 32. Why not play teams like this instead of Miss Valley State or Northern Arizona? Even Fairfield at #187 would be a better matchup with an in-state 'rival'.'

Reaction Score
This is the best argument against playing any team ranked lower than #300, maybe even 250. It does nothing to prepare a team for the Big East part of the schedule: offensively, defensively, or for players' attitudes.

I look at the KenPom rating (UConn currently 28.65) and compare it to the opponent's rating - Butler currently 14.63 - add in a +3/+4 for home court advantage and deem it the point spread. So UConn should be favored by 17 or so for Tuesday's game. If we look at a game vs the #200 team: Texas A&M, Corpus Christi, rated -3.18, UConn would be favored by 32. Why not play teams like this instead of Miss Valley State or Northern Arizona? Even Fairfield at #187 would be a better matchup with an in-state 'rival'.'
Because those games are used to get the end of rotation players minutes so they're ready for Big East play and to test out lineup combinations

Reaction Score

We played MVS because they are a Historically Black College or University. We are committed to playing HBCUs over the next few years because it supports their mission. It seems like a reasonable thing to do. Fairfield on the other hand is a bunch of kids belonging to the lucky sperm club.

Reaction Score
You have the best resume and Player - Purdue

The best analytics - Houston

The best eye test team - UConn

Forget the Cinderellas. Let’s all make the Final 4 and duke it out for supremacy
Give me those three and Arizona (high-powered offense, home-ish court) in a Final Four for the ages

Reaction Score
On one hand I get it. Purdue has a better resume and Houston is #1 in the analytics. So by default how are we the best.

But we're a really, really good team. We've won 10 in a row in a tough Big East, including 4 away games against top 50 KenPom teams. Since becoming fully healthy, we've been #1 in the analytics as well, which is something most people don't consider.
Also undefeated at full strength.

Reaction Score
If you are going to use analytics for UConn, you need to use only the games where he played to judge the team fairly. Especially, defensive metrics. His inclusion makes that much difference. That we won all those games without him speaks to the intangibles.

Dauster had a stat yesterday that our defense was ranked in the 120s while DC was injured and has been #1 since he returned. Crazy.

Reaction Score
Dauster had a stat yesterday that our defense was ranked in the 120s while DC was injured and has been #1 since he returned. Crazy.
Is that only with DC on the court or as long as he’s playing the game? That would be a crazy stat if the latter since he played so few minutes that last 2 games.

Rasputin

The Mad Monk
Reaction Score
Because those games are used to get the end of rotation players minutes so they're ready for Big East play and to test out lineup combinations
If you exclude New Hampshire (ranked 192), the average KenPom ranking of our home OOC schedule is 330 (out of 362). There is absolutely no benefit to playing teams that are this bad and you learn nothing from these games. The main purpose of these games is to get an easy W while separating season ticket holders from their money. Add in the fact that to purchase a single game ticket to a Big East game, you now have to buy a ticket to one or two creampuff games, and it is more evident than ever that these games are about money.

Reaction Score
If you exclude New Hampshire (ranked 192), the average KenPom ranking of our home OOC schedule is 330 (out of 362). There is absolutely no benefit to playing teams that are this bad and you learn nothing from these games. The main purpose of these games is to get an easy W while separating season ticket holders from their money. Add in the fact that to purchase a single game ticket to a Big East game, you now have to buy a ticket to one or two creampuff games, and it is more evident than ever that these games are about money.
Yup, you nailed it. It's all about getting money from season ticket holders. There definitely wouldn't be significantly more interest in tickets for better opponents in these home games. The whole athletic department is just trying to rob UConn fans of as much money as possible with games like MVSU and Coppin State

Reaction Score
We played MVS because they are a Historically Black College or University. We are committed to playing HBCUs over the next few years because it supports their mission. It seems like a reasonable thing to do. Fairfield on the other hand is a bunch of kids belonging to the lucky sperm club.
Fairfield (or Quinnipiac) would be a good game to have as a home game.

Reaction Score
Is that only with DC on the court or as long as he’s playing the game? That would be a crazy stat if the latter since he played so few minutes that last 2 games.

I think it includes all the games he has played, which obviously indicates that the defense has improved dramatically even without DC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It does nothing to prepare a team for the Big East part of the schedule: offensively, defensively, or for players' attitudes.
We won last year with a similar schedule. We're off to a great start with this schedule. And no one loved early cupcakes more than Calhoun and he won 3 nattys and many BE titles.

Reaction Score
They won at Wisconsin, who was #6, and their resume and metric advantage is going to lead statheads to favor them. Not unreasonable.

But UConn is the best team.
Agree I’ve watched 4 or 5 times. They don’t wow me with explosiveness and athleticism. Edey is slow and mechanical. Won’t be able to run with us. Clingan needs to just attack the basket and get Edey in foul trouble before he does the same to Donovan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom