Fear not UCONN Nation! Pheesa's star shines too bright!!!! | The Boneyard

Fear not UCONN Nation! Pheesa's star shines too bright!!!!

Reaction Score
To help me make my point, I begin with the following post by RockyMTblue2 a few weeks ago.

Quote: "I'm sold. Statistics and charts ... oh my!

Napheesa Collier is the analytically savvy choice for Rookie Of The Year

Ton of work went into this.

"A closer look at the numbers suggests that it is Collier is not just a lucky passenger in the sidecar alongside Minnesota’s starting lineup. Collier already plays a key role in creating whatever valuable margin the Lynx open up over their opponents. The Lynx hum along nicely whenever Collier is paired with either Sims or Fowles in the starting lineup, outscoring their opponents by about four points per 100 possessions. While the other sample sizes are small (about 100 minutes each), the lineup numbers from pbpstats.com show that the Lynx actually improve during the minutes that Collier is playing without either of the veterans. And, at the same time, the team starts to tank when either player is on the floor without Collier. This chart shows Minnesota’s scoring margins, per 100 possessions, with all of these lineup combinations:

..... But the trophy is called Rookie of the Year, and there is no doubt it is Napheesa Collier. "" End quote

In the battle for ROY RockyMTblue2 said it all!

And now the rest of the story...

As RockyMTblue2 illustrated, Pheesa makes her team-mates and team better. Arike does not (realistically, how many rookies ever do?)

Building on this:

"WNBA players to collect 400+ points, 200+ rebounds, 80+ assists and 60+ steals in a season: Tamika Catchings (9x, MR: 2012) Sancho Lyttle (2x, MR: 2014) Sheryl Swoopes (1999) Lisa Leslie (2005) Maya Moore (2014) and now: Napheesa Collier!"

Pheesa's 2019 stat stuffing performance ranks among a select group of legendary players. Arike had a solid year for a rookie, but there is nothing legendary about her overall performance.

As a Rookie, Pheesa has impacted her team and the league in a way that ranks her rookie season among the best ever...yet another select group.

With Pheesa, a Minnesota team that wasn't expected to make the playoffs, makes the playoffs. With Arike, Dallas does not make the playoffs.

Pheesa is one of the most complete pro-ready players to have ever jumped from college to the WNBA playground. In contrast, Arike may become a complete player....but she's got some work to do.

Fear not Uconn Nation. Pheesa's star shines so bright it is inevitable that she will be rightfully rewarded!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that Pheesa deserves ROY and hope that she wins. I am worried about all the big scoring numbers Arike has been putting up lately (30+ in two games that I saw). Even though her shooting % leaves a lot to be desired, many voters may not look past points. She's had a bunch of assists, too. I hope the voters are savvy!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think the case has been made clear in any number of threads. But as has been pointed out any number of times, it all depends on whether the voters pay attention to anything beyond scoring and flash. Napheesa's humility and steadiness are wonderful for her team and teammates, but if you have a reporter who pays scant attention to the WNBA, they may do her a disservice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She's a baller. That's why every one gets better along side her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think a comparison to Morgan is fair. If Morgan didn't have the injury bug I think her contribution to the WNBA would be similar to what Napheesa is doing now.

Morgan had on of her best offensive game of her career. 17 pts in 17 minutes (4-5) from 3 and 6-8 overall. :D:D

Maybe this will jump start her season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nightmare scenario: Poor, poor Dallas, let's throw em a bone. :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members