Fball media support for RU | The Boneyard

Fball media support for RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Where's this coming from? I don't doubt it, just wondering what prompted the thread.

Reaction Score
if you think Rutgers recruiting well has anything to do with football media i think you're crazy. obviously the Eric Legrande story has been big for a while, and will probably continue to be for a little while, but besides that the only media Rutgers gets in NJ is when they cut classes and teachers, lose a game, or fall short on their budget as a result of football overspending and underperforming causing them to cut classes and teachers. i don't know what love UConn gets in CT but i can tell you the support by media and the state population when i lived in CT (until1999) was worlds ahead of what Rutgers gets even today.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Their state's biggest paper practically hates them.

It's true - just ask anybody off of Exit 9...

Reaction Score
if you think Rutgers recruiting well has anything to do with football media i think you're crazy. obviously the Eric Legrande story has been big for a while, and will probably continue to be for a little while, but besides that the only media Rutgers gets in NJ is when they cut classes and teachers, lose a game, or fall short on their budget as a result of football overspending and underperforming causing them to cut classes and teachers. i don't know what love UConn gets in CT but i can tell you the support by media and the state population when i lived in CT (until1999) was worlds ahead of what Rutgers gets even today.

are we talking football media or regular media?

Reaction Score
media is media. if NJ papers are talking about football they're talking about the Giants. if they're talking about Rutgers they're talking about their disastrous budget. i remember a fairly long article last october demanding Schiano be fired because he hasn't really improved his record after he signed his big contract a few years ago. never mind that he's brought them more success on the field than most fans ever imagined. if you really hate Rutgers it might be worth getting a subsciption to the Star Ledger. i listen to local sports radio quite a bit and read local papers regularly and i don't remember either of them mentioning that RU was playing in a bowl game 30 minutes away.

RU definitely has some advantages over us but i don't think media favoritism is really one of them. they have more local talent and a coach that can connect with them. i think a lot of that might have to do with the "us versus the world" attitude in New Jersey that's been honed over decades of being the butt of every other states jokes. Schiano's the goumba-whisperer

Reaction Score
All of the NJ papers did a slew of stories about the Pinstripe bowl. Player features, game previews, color stories. And the NY papers each did at least 1-2 stories.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
media is media. if NJ papers are talking about football they're talking about the Giants. if they're talking about Rutgers they're talking about their disastrous budget. i remember a fairly long article last october demanding Schiano be fired because he hasn't really improved his record after he signed his big contract a few years ago. never mind that he's brought them more success on the field than most fans ever imagined. if you really hate Rutgers it might be worth getting a subsciption to the Star Ledger. i listen to local sports radio quite a bit and read local papers regularly and i don't remember either of them mentioning that RU was playing in a bowl game 30 minutes away.

RU definitely has some advantages over us but i don't think media favoritism is really one of them. they have more local talent and a coach that can connect with them. i think a lot of that might have to do with the "us versus the world" attitude in New Jersey that's been honed over decades of being the butt of every other states jokes. Schiano's the goumba-whisperer

Goumba-whisperer- thats inspired comedy. Too funny.

Reaction Score
I will bet that the fact their AD Tim Pernetti was a former head of CBS Sports has a lot to do with the way they push media exposure at Rutgers. Hopefully that is something that changes when the new AD is hired.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rutgers Football has been a running joke on the FAN for over 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom