Favorite UConn team ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Favorite UConn team ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure which team is my favorite, the Dream Season probably gets the nod, but I can say that after the Red Sox came back from 0-3 in the '04 ALCS and then swept St. Louis in the World Series, I thought I'd never have a more enjoyable, exciting two weeks as a sports fan, but then Kemba and company blew that out of the water in 2011. That Big East tournament run will not be topped, and as soon as they beat Louisville I had a bizarre certainty that they were destined to win the whole thing. Once they beat Arizona I had zero doubt that they were going to do it. Just a crazy couple weeks - never more fun to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
In terms of the fun of the whole season, as it was happening, I'd rank them:

1) 1989-90. If you didn't live it, you can't understand. Magic carpet ride for months.
The one common theme to all those seasons? We were in the NIT the year before - it made the highs a little higher and the lows a little easier to take since we were clearly making progress and much better than we were the year before. This year would bump 93-94 off the list, but the cloud of no postseason has made it tougher to enjoy it as much. We're not building toward the end game.

As it was happening, 1998-99 was a grind. The "no Final Four" tag was a grand piano on our backs and the feeling was we HAD to do it that year. Even a great win at SJU was offset by the injuries right after. We stressed ourselves out over Marathon Oil. Gonzaga was the worst sporting event of my life as it was happening.
)
Interesting perspective on the in-season enjoyment. In some respects its hard for me to even remember what it was like to be amazed that the HCC was even sold out or loud and that we were winning games. So I can remember what it felt like during a few of these moments such as the Georgetown game (even though I was there re-watched on TV that night and love remembering the announcer its 14-0,its 16-0, ITS 18-0) and later I vividly remember ordering multiple 'trays of pizza' and inumerous pitchers of beer at the old Civic Pub and being absolutely ecstatic over trouncing vastly inferior BU & California teams in Hartford during opening round of NCAA's.

So in retrospect, it is easier to say that season wasn't as good, but game for game and moment for moment you are probably right that for any long-time Husky fan that almost has to be the most fun season.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Nice hearing from guys who have some history from 1980 and earlier and realized how small time Yankee Conference UConn was and what they became.

Also nice hearing from guys who were 10 when they first were a big fan. Really?

Pre-puberty fans? Good perspective

caw

Reaction Score
Nice hearing from guys who have some history from 1980 and earlier and realized how small time Yankee Conference UConn was and what they became.

Also nice hearing from guys who were 10 when they first were a big fan. Really?

Pre-puberty fans? Good perspective

So, you weren't a fan of any team (pro or college) when you were ten? You don't hold any fond memories of any of those teams?

Reaction Score
So, you weren't a fan of any team (pro or college) when you were ten? You don't hold any fond memories of any of those teams?

Well, at that time, they didn't have televisions, radios, automobiles, or state universities . . .

Bill is 6'6", 250, 125 of which is his scooter.

Reaction Score
It's wrong to refer to the '98-99 season as a grind. '04 was a grind. '06 was a grind. Those teams had long stretches where they played poorly. '99 had a few minor setbacks, but that season was filled with great moments.

Reaction Score
I said it the other day and I'll say it again this very team is my favorite. They remind me of the Chris Smith teams bringing excitement and a renaissance of sorts to UConn basketball. Any recruit can look at the school and see something is changing and the future is bright.

This team has no superstars like the above mentioned team, marginal talent, they had a ton of defections, they have a brand spanking new coach who replaced a legend, they are a true donut, there are no seniors on this squad, and they are small as hell. That's what Ollie is working with and they are near 20 games in wins, play hard as hell, and never give up.

We have beaten some damn good teams. So no they have not won a Championship or a BE title but what they have is a heart of a Champion and clearly play UConn basketball. I will say this team can match the heart of any and every previous UConn team, all they lack is talent. So yes this team is my favorite and if they all stay together will be almost everyone's favorite next year.

Reaction Score
Winning the Big East tournament for the first time during the Dream season was really the stunner. After so many years of no success in those games we put it all together and beat some very good teams under the bright lights. We were pretenders until we knocked them all down in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom