Favorite Non Connecticut Team and/or Player | The Boneyard

Favorite Non Connecticut Team and/or Player

Reaction Score
I actually really liked Lawrence Moten. He was smooth. As far as a team is concerned, I've liked West Virginia since they beat Chris Paul and Wake Forest. I also really enjoyed watching Providence beat Duke back in the 90s. So I don't hate Providence.

Reaction Score
I actually really liked Lawrence Moten. He was smooth. As far as a team is concerned, I've liked West Virginia since they beat Chris Paul and Wake Forest. I also really enjoyed watching Providence beat Duke back in the 90s. So I don't hate Providence.

With no hesitation the Gansey/Pittsnoogle WVU team that did beat Chris Paul’s WFU team in the tourney was my favorite non-UConn team since UConn became UConn. I loved watching Gansey play basketball. Maybe the most underrated and underappreciated college basketball player ever.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never Nervous Pervis at Louisville
Reggie Williams and David Wingate at Georgetown
Phi Slamma Jamma at Houston- Dream, Clyde, Michael Young, Benny Anders, Alvin Franklin
Larry Johnson and Sticks Augmen at UNLV
Big Fundamental Timmy D and Randolph Childress at Wake
Waymon Tisdale at Oklahoma
Jerome Lane at Pitt
Glen Rice Michigan

I'm sure there will be several others mentioned in this thread but off the top of my head those are a few.

Reality is after UConn Dream Season interest in those outside of the Huskies became much less.

Reaction Score
With no hesitation the Gansey/Pittsnoogle WVU team that did beat Chris Paul’s WFU team in the tourney was my favorite non-UConn team since UConn became UConn. I loved watching Gansey play basketball. Maybe the most underrated and underappreciated college basketball player ever.
Totally agree.

Reaction Score
Dwayne "Pearl" Washington. Had the good fortune of meeting him on a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. A point guard's point guard through and through.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I became a UConn fan in earnest when Ray was in school and for whatever reason Kerry Kittles and Nova became my second favorite team. Kittles may still be my favorite non-UConn guy.

Reaction Score
I love watching "The Big Fundamental" Tim Duncan. When he was at Wake Forrest, he just was impressive with his advanced footwork and just solid play.

I still think as great as he was in college and the NBA, he is one of the most underappreciated legit superstars and greats of all-time. It sounds weird to say about such a good player, but when you talk about the best of all time, how often is he forgotten and left out of the conversation.

I'm still not over the Celtics not winning the lottery the year he was in the draft.

Reaction Score
I love watching "The Big Fundamental" Tim Duncan. When he was at Wake Forrest, he just was impressive with his advanced footwork and just solid play.

I still think as great as he was in college and the NBA, he is one of the most underappreciated legit superstars and greats of all-time. It sounds weird to say about such a good player, but when you talk about the best of all time, how often is he forgotten and left out of the conversation.

I'm still not over the Celtics not winning the lottery the year he was in the draft.
And Providence was supposed to have both Duncan and Jason "white chocolate" Williams.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Shaq
Webber and the fab 5
David west and 03 Xavier
Jarvis Varnado

I loved Dejuan Blair. Loved him. But hated his team.

Guess why I hate the modern NBA lol

Reaction Score
Players I enjoyed (emphasizing I dislike BC & UMass)
Big Country
Gansey & Pittsnogle from West Virginia (routed for that Belein team)
Michael Adams & John Bagley BC
Billy Curley & Donya Abrams BC
Ed Pickney (Nova)
Lew/Lou Roe? (UMass)
Spud Webb (NC St)
Ernie D + Marvin Barnes + Kevin Stacom (Routed for that team)
Soup Campbell
I'm liking/routing for Hunter Dickinson this year
routed for the final four Loyola team

Reaction Score
  • Providence with Marvin Barnes and Ernie D.
  • Georgetown and Ewing in NCAA tourney against teams never having played them. Scary and exciting like a Mike Tyson fight.
  • LSU and Pete Maravich. Actually just Pete. Did things with the ball never seen before or since.

Reaction Score
Odd, but Luke Maye. I’m friends with the Maye family so seeing Luke Maye hit that game winner against Kentucky in the elite 8 was pretty awesome.

Reaction Score
I always liked Arizona as a program. They reminded me a lot of UConn in regards to the fact that they seemed to blow up in the late 90s and early 2000’s and put a lot of players in the NBA.

But I really don’t like them as much now bc of Sean Miller. Something about his personality that irritates me

Oh and I believe his name was Jason Gardener. The PG for AZ back then that I really loved watching. He had the long socks and the headband and I always admired the AI type swag when I was younger

Reaction Score
I always liked Arizona as a program. They reminded me a lot of UConn in regards to the fact that they seemed to blow up in the late 90s and early 2000’s and put a lot of players in the NBA.

But I really don’t like them as much now bc of Sean Miller. Something about his personality that irritates me

Oh and I believe his name was Jason Gardener. The PG for AZ back then that I really loved watching. He had the long socks and the headband and I always admired the AI type swag when I was younger
Wasn't that Jason Terry. Long NBA career. I think they had a guy named Gardner as well. I think our Caron led team beat Gardner.... I think.

I enjoyed watching them win in 97 or whenever that was. Fun team.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching those early 90s Kansas teams with Adonis Jordan and Rex Walters in the backcourt. High scoring, ruckus crowds with the big Jayhawk on the court. If i had not become a Uconn fan in 1990 i wouldve been a KU fan no doubt.
Favorite non Uconn players to watch would definitely be Chris Webber, Alonzo Mourning and Stackhouse and Rasheed.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching and rooting for the 1985 St. Johns team with Chris Mullins and the great Walter Berry reaching the final four with Georgetown and Villanova. The Big East was all that......and it was a great setup for the Huskies run that ended up dominating the league there after.

Reaction Score
FSU - Otto Petty, King, Royals
ND - Shumate, Dantley, Brokaw
Memphis State - Larry Kenon, Finch
Jacksonville - Gilmore, Burroughs, Morgan
PC - Hassett, Eason, Campbell
NC State - Thompson, Burleson, Towe
Marquette - Ellis, Tatum, Lee
URI - Owens, Garrick, Green
BC - Murphy, Adams, McCready, Clark

Reaction Score
Johnson, Augman, Anthony, Hunt, Butler

Remembering UNLV Basketball’s National Championship 30 Years Later - Mountain West Connection (mwcconnection.com)

1612441253714.png

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Much to the ire of my rec basketball coaches I loved trying to be Jason Williams when he was at UF

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I loved Chicago St. I faded them straight for 2 years before they cancelled their season. Worst team of all time and had an atrocious record vs. the spread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom