Favorite Games? | The Boneyard

Favorite Games?

Reaction Score
The down time between seasons is never fun. I just finished watching an old game on YouTube. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks were their favorite games.

Granted both were UConn losses, but the 2001 game at UT and the 2013 Triple OT game at ND are two of the most entertaining games I ever watched. It basically took perfect performances from the opponents to win and those were great UConn teams. Of course UConn got revenge in 2103 en route to another title.

My fav UConn win was the 2002 game at the FF against UT. It was basically a clinic and the Huskies couldn't do any wrong that game. I was/am a Lady Vols fan and supporter but that was just ridiculous. The Huskies were so much better and 2002 is probably the 2nd best team of all time behind the 2016 squad in my opinion.

What are some of your favorite games to watch and or remember?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
#1 for me is an easy one.... and I was fortunate enough to be in the stands to witness it.

Scrappy Underdogs vs the 3 time defending champs led by Holdsclaw and Catchings....... over 12,000 in attendance on a Monday Night .... and despite being just a 45 minute drive from Durham........ the Lady Vol fan's outnumbered the Duke faithful. Great environment..... loud crowd... and wonderful ending. As I was walking through the concourse on the way back to the car........ surrounded by sullen fans dressed in orange...... I was thinking to myself (while smirking) ...... dag.. that 5 hour drive west on Interstate 40 back to Knoxville (at night) is gonna feel more like 10 hours :cool:

Hard to believe next year will be 20 years since that game :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
That game was incredible. Duke won fair and square. As a former Greensboro resident I wish I had watched in person but saw the entire thing from my living room.

Good win for Duke.

Reaction Score
1995 NC game vs. Tenn (2nd-half comeback after sitting stars most of the first half with fouls)
2000 NC game vs. Tenn (Can you say, "Back Door Cut"?!?!?)
2003 FF game vs. Texas (Nail-biter!)
2003 NC game vs. Tenn (Another nail-biter 2 days later!)
2015 FF game vs. Maryland (Merciless Brenda beatdown)

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Top games include -

- Sorry, triad - Rutgers beating Duke in '07 Greensboro Region
- Rutgers winning the WNIT at UTEP - crestfallen fans, for sure
- North Carolina's championship game - while my introduction to WBB had been some late night Rutgers replays, that was the first game I put on a TV at a normal hour, watched from end to end, and cheered (for UNC, at the time). Oddly enough, and having nothing to do with the scandal aspects, I would root against UNC today. But I was new to the sport, what did I know.

Reaction Score
The down time between seasons is never fun. I just finished watching an old game on YouTube. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks were their favorite games.

Granted both were UConn losses, but the 2001 game at UT and the 2013 Triple OT game at ND are two of the most entertaining games I ever watched. It basically took perfect performances from the opponents to win and those were great UConn teams. Of course UConn got revenge in 2103 en route to another title.

My fav UConn win was the 2002 game at the FF against UT. It was basically a clinic and the Huskies couldn't do any wrong that game. I was/am a Lady Vols fan and supporter but that was just ridiculous. The Huskies were so much better and 2002 is probably the 2nd best team of all time behind the 2016 squad in my opinion.

What are some of your favorite games to watch and or remember?
These are the games I like to rewatch. I don't like to rewatch losses so these are all "wins"

Kiah Stokes 18 rebounds against Notre Dame.
UConn vs BYU in the NCAA regional
UConn vs Dayton in the Albany Regional
UConn vs Texas in the Albany Regional
UConn vs UCLA in the Bridgeport Regional
Lou's 40 against USF

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Top games include -

- Sorry, triad - Rutgers beating Duke in '07 Greensboro Region
- Rutgers winning the WNIT at UTEP - crestfallen fans, for sure
- North Carolina's championship game - while my introduction to WBB had been some late night Rutgers replays, that was the first game I put on a TV at a normal hour, watched from end to end, and cheered (for UNC, at the time). Oddly enough, and having nothing to do with the scandal aspects, I would root against UNC today. But I was new to the sport, what did I know.

sad dog.jpg

Thats pretty much how I was looking walking out of the Coliseum that afternoon. Most gut wrenching loss Ive witnessed since I was born

Reaction Score
I remember my mother telling me on the phone that Duke lost to Rutgers. I was in shock. I figured Duke would be there at the end of the tournament.

We've all been there with crushing losses, most recently ours a month ago. Sigh. Before that the game that killed me was the 2000 SEC tournament finals against UT. MSU upset the Millers and Nolan led UGA team in the semifinals and played the LVs to the end in a close, close game. I made a spontaneous road to Chattanooga to watch the finals. MSU had their chances but UT came out on top. At one point MSU had about an 8 point lead and you could feel the LV fans tense up but we couldn't close the deal. UT won and made the NCAA finals and were hammered by UConn on the previously mentioned "back door cut" game. It amazed me UT had no answer for that move.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any game where The GOAT from Don Antonio Lugo and Sue from Christ The King were in the backcourt. The greatest backcourt in WBB history.

Reaction Score
Best women's game I ever saw, and one of best period, was Louisville beating Baylor and Griner several years ago in the tournament. Lights out shooting by Louisville creates big lead, Baylor mounts furious comeback, some tough calls by ref both ways, Baylor gets the lead finally with seconds to go, then Louisville players goes end to end, is fouled, and makes both free throws to win by one. What a roller coaster!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I remember my mother telling me on the phone that Duke lost to Rutgers. I was in shock. I figured Duke would be there at the end of the tournament.

We've all been there with crushing losses, most recently ours a month ago. Sigh. Before that the game that killed me was the 2000 SEC tournament finals against UT. MSU upset the Millers and Nolan led UGA team in the semifinals and played the LVs to the end in a close, close game. I made a spontaneous road to Chattanooga to watch the finals. MSU had their chances but UT came out on top. At one point MSU had about an 8 point lead and you could feel the LV fans tense up but we couldn't close the deal. UT won and made the NCAA finals and were hammered by UConn on the previously mentioned "back door cut" game. It amazed me UT had no answer for that move.
Speaking of the Miller twins - that was the team RU beat to make their other Final Four, in 2000. Regional was in Portland, and we were there, but I don't remember much of the game. I do remember one of the RU players giving us a piece of the net. LV's made short work of us in Philadelphia.

The game that "killed" me - that would be clockgate at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
My most "recent" favorite is the 2013 NCAA semi-final vs ND. I love how the Huskies ended the first half on that huge run with clutch buckets by Stewie and Faris. And in the second half, I love the play where Stewie shakes Kayla McBride and drives right to the hoop to extend the lead after the Irish were making a small run. Oh, and those three, huge (and consecutive?) offensive boards by Kelly were just killer! ;) Oh, and I love Doris' commentary when she doesn't like the body language of the Irish. In general, that game just makes me happy and was the beginnings of the historic four-peat! Lastly, I appreciated Skylar's sportsmanship near the end when intentionally fouls Kelly, then grabs her arm and taps her on the butt (ok, it sounds weird, but you know what i mean when you see it! lol). :p

Yep, whenever I'm feeling down, I just watch that game! :rolleyes:

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This game from the '98-'99 season, before Sue went down, is amazing. I was so glad when it was finally uploaded and I could watch it again.

It's UConn at UCLA in Pauley Pavillion.

If you like offense, this is the game for you. Sveta scores 39 and was 1 assist short of a triple-double. UCLA scored 102 -- and still lost :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
For me it's any game when the big three were fresh and we still had Kaleena and, Kiah. My favorite team by far.
yup... Kaleena shooting lights out about Notre Dame and South Carolina, all-time favorite college player

Reaction Score
My most "recent" favorite is the 2013 NCAA semi-final vs ND. I love how the Huskies ended the first half on that huge run with clutch buckets by Stewie and Faris. And in the second half, I love the play where Stewie shakes Kayla McBride and drives right to the hoop to extend the lead after the Irish were making a small run. Oh, and those three, huge (and consecutive?) offensive boards by Kelly were just killer! ;) Oh, and I love Doris' commentary when she doesn't like the body language of the Irish. In general, that game just makes me happy and was the beginnings of the historic four-peat! Lastly, I appreciated Skylar's sportsmanship near the end when intentionally fouls Kelly, then grabs her arm and taps her on the butt (ok, it sounds weird, but you know what i mean when you see it! lol). :p

Yep, whenever I'm feeling down, I just watch that game! :rolleyes:

I admit I loved watching Skylar and McBride but I sensed in the E8 that UConn had turned a corner. Stewart came of age in that game and the better team won.

I get the lack of love for Diggins on this board but she was/is a fierce competitor.

Reaction Score
I admit I loved watching Skylar and McBride but I sensed in the E8 that UConn had turned a corner. Stewart came of age in that game and the better team won.

I get the lack of love for Diggins on this board but she was/is a fierce competitor.

I agree! Stewie's transformation was HUGE and the biggest variable. And Diggins and McBride were/are gamers for sure!! And had they attended UCONN, they'd be fan favorites. Nevertheless, they really amplified the rivalry and it's nice to see them having great pro careers :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
2015 Final Four vs. South Carolina - ND jumps out to an early lead, leads all the way and almost lets it slip in the 4th quarter. Maddie Cable retrieves Loyd's blocked shot for the go-ahead basket. Hannah Huffman comes off the bench and combines with Loyd to stifle Tiffany Mitchell to seal the game. A perfect encapsulation of what Cable and Huffman were all about.

2018 NCAA Tournament - every game :D

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

She traveled like an NBA player.

Routine took 2 and even 3 steps without dribbling with narry a whistle.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She traveled like an NBA player.

Routine took 2 and even 3 steps without dribbling with narry a whistle.

Not sure what this has to do with favorite games.... unless your favorite games are all the games that Diggins traveled. :confused:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not sure what this has to do with favorite games.... unless your favorite games are all the games that Diggins traveled. :confused:

the post i responded to talked about the lack of love Diggins was getting here.

I disliked her because she was allowed to break the rules.

Same reason I dislike iverson for committing multiple violations on every possession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom