Favorite characters from The Wire | The Boneyard

Favorite characters from The Wire

Reaction Score
In honor of Chief (Commissioner Valchek) let's list our favorite characters, since choosing just 1 is impossible you can list your top 5 in order and feel free to write why you like them- I'll kick things off

1.) Bubbles- the backbone "voice" of the show, I felt the most for him. He was a great person and his redemption story was something to always root for. Nobody grew more over the course of the show.

2.) Avon Barksdale- He was about the streets. He seemed totally authentic. Smart as a whip and knew exactly who he was and what the game was all about.

3.) Frank Sobotka- He took care of his people no matter how tough times were and as the world and his way of life was changing all around him.

4.) Bunny Colvin- Good police and good person. He went against the broken system, sacrificing his own career to try and make a difference and saving Namond was worth more than anything any of them ever did.

5.) Wee-Bey Brice- The consummate soldier. Ride or die and checking his pride and handing his son over to Bunny showed what he was all about.

Reaction Score
Yeah this is a show where you root for the "bad guys" as much as anyone.

1) Omar Little - loved every second he was on the screen and was pulling for him til the end

2) D'Angelo Barksdale - the guy was conflicted and I don't think he gets enough credit for how great an acting job he did in Season 1 being pulled between doing the right thing and trying to be loyal

3) Jimmy McNulty - his interaction with the others in the show was so great. The opening scene and his conversation regarding "snot boogie" is classic

4) Stringer Bell - he was so cool and I had never seen Idris Elba as an actor before. Tried to apply a businessman approach to the drug scene

5) Frank Sobotka - same as above. I know a lot of people didn't like Season 2 but I really did like it and how Frank was trying to manage a dying industry and keep his peeps afloat

Shout out to Bubbles and Prop Joe - loved both of those guys!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I've posted elsewhere, we are late to The Wire party but we are chomping through it during quarantine. We are on season four, episode four, so I need to be careful with any spoilers for what happens from here out.

I'll need to revisit after we finish the series, but I'll chime on with my favorites to now.

1. Wallace--only appears through season one so I don't expect him to be my favorite at the end of the day, but he was our first heartbreak and just such a great kid that he really drew us into the show from the start, while we were still warming to the likes of McNulty, Daniels, Lester and Prez.

2. Omar--so damn compelling. He commands your attention every scene he is in. Plays by his own set of rules that somehow makes him seem more ethical than most. Reminds me of the Dylan line "To live outside the law you must be honest." His trial testimony scene was fantastic.

3. Frank Sobotka--fully agree with the takes above.

4. Prop Joe--the voice of reason. Always sagacious.

5. Elana McNulty--in a show with so much eye candy for the ladies (Mrs. 8893 wanted to stop watching when Stringer was killed...), it's criminal how little screen time she gets. I realize this is a ridiculous pick, but this is only a rough draft for me at this point, and her "How about a fark for the road instead?" response to McNulty is worth the acknowledgement alone.

Reaction Score
As I've posted elsewhere, we are late to The Wire party but we are chomping through it during quarantine. We are on season four, episode four, so I need to be careful with any spoilers for what happens from here out.

I'll need to revisit after we finish the series, but I'll chime on with my favorites to now.

1. Wallace--only appears through season one so I don't expect him to be my favorite at the end of the day, but he was our first heartbreak and just such a great kid that he really drew us into the show from the start, while we were still warming to the likes of McNulty, Daniels, Lester and Prez.

2. Omar--so damn compelling. He commands your attention every scene he is in. Plays by his own set of rules that somehow makes him seem more ethical than most. Reminds me of the Dylan line "To live outside the law you must be honest." His trial testimony scene was fantastic.

3. Frank Sobotka--fully agree with the takes above.

4. Prop Joe--the voice of reason. Always sagacious.

5. Elana McNulty--in a show with so much eye candy for the ladies (Mrs. 8893 wanted to stop watching when Stringer was killed...), it's criminal how little screen time she gets. I realize this is a ridiculous pick, but this is only a rough draft for me at this point, and her "How about a fark for the road instead?" response to McNulty is worth the acknowledgement alone.

I wouldn't read John's list too carefully if you're still in 4.

This thread is a good idea. I'm wracking my brain, but in the meantime I was thinking about this scene from one of the opening eps of season 3, the "Omar and Brother Mouzone in the alley" scene, which is one of my favorites from the whole series.

[Omar is walking down a dark alley at night, carrying his bag and whistling. Suddenly, he hears the click of a gun being cocked behind him]

Brother Mouzone : [offscreen] That's far enough. Drop your laundry and turn slowly.

[Omar drops his bag]

Omar : So you gonna rob me now. I need to remind you who I am?

Brother Mouzone : Omar, isn't it?

[Omar turns, revealing Brother Mouzone, pointing a pistol at him]

Brother Mouzone : Pull it slowly, then toss it.

Omar : [slowly reaching for his own pistol] Oh, I WILL move slow. But I ain't tossin' nothin'... Bow Tie. So whatever you gonna do, you might as well go ahead and make it quick. I knew you'd come back.

Brother Mouzone : I trust you didn't lose sleep over it.

Omar : Worryin' about you be like wonderin' if the sun gonna come up. Ain't about to wild out over it. What I wanna know is how you find me.

Brother Mouzone : Your boy. He didn't give you up easy.

Omar : Ain't no sugar water runnin' through them veins. You kill him?

Brother Mouzone : He's resting.

[Omar slowly pulls his gun out of his belt]

Brother Mouzone : I see you favor a .45.

Omar : Tonight I do. And I keeps one in the chamber, in case you ponderin'. Nice show piece you got there.

Brother Mouzone : Walther PPK, .380, double action.

Omar : [slowly raising his gun so Mouzone can see it] Hear them Walthers like to jump some.

Brother Mouzone : As will you, with one in your elbow.

Omar : That gun ain't got enough firepower to make my joint useless. It definitely won't stop me from emptyin' out half my mag.

Brother Mouzone : You might not hit me.

Omar : [chuckling] This range? And this caliber? Even if I miss, I can't miss.

Brother Mouzone : I admire a man with confidence.

Omar : [slowly leveling his gun, aiming it at Mouzone's chest] I don't see no sweat on your brow neither, bruh.

[long pause as the two men silently regard each other from across the alley]

Brother Mouzone : I suppose we could stand here all night.

Omar : 'Spose we could. Or settle this once and forever.

[another pause, then Mouzone releases the hammer on his gun and lowers it]

Brother Mouzone : I want to ask you something... brother.

[Omar lowers his gun]

Omar : Omar listenin'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In honor of Chief (Commissioner Valchek) let's list our favorite characters, since choosing just 1 is impossible you can list your top 5 in order and feel free to write why you like them- I'll kick things off

1.) Bubbles- the backbone "voice" of the show, I felt the most for him. He was a great person and his redemption story was something to always root for. Nobody grew more over the course of the show.

2.) Avon Barksdale- He was about the streets. He seemed totally authentic. Smart as a whip and knew exactly who he was and what the game was all about.

3.) Frank Sobotka- He took care of his people no matter how tough times were and as the world and his way of life was changing all around him.

4.) Bunny Colvin- Good police and good person. He went against the broken system, sacrificing his own career to try and make a difference and saving Namond was worth more than anything any of them ever did.

5.) Wee-Bey Brice- The consummate soldier. Ride or die and checking his pride and handing his son over to Bunny showed what he was all about.

The scene where Wee-Bey tells Dalonda she has to give up Namond to Mr. Colvin and the way he threatens her is the most satisfying scene in the show next to Slim Charles killing Cheese.

My favorite character is Bodie. It was so sad when he died but he went out like the soldier he was, the "smart-ass pawn)

Reaction Score
1) Omar - definitely on Mt TVmore of all-time great supporting characters with Coach (Cheers), Roger Sterling (Mad Men), Louie DePalma (Taxi)

2) Lester - upon re-watch how smart he is in every aspect including swooping in on D'Angelo's side-piece is amazing. Natural POlice

3) Kima - Likewise a real pro's pro POlice, tough, smart flawed, human, loyal and tough again.

4) Bubbles - Greatest informant in tv and movie history

5) McNulty - Among the most interesting tv cops ever on screen, he's a notch below the headliner anti-heroes like Tony Soprano, WW but appropriately so given the more serious subject matter of the Wire.

Reaction Score
all for different reasons

Bunk
Mouzone
Stringer
Omar
Bunny

Wee-Bey honorable mention

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Well, I guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

Reaction Score
Omar. “I’ve never put my gun on a citizen.” Live his code and how he makes you root for a guy that robs drug dealers!!!

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Off the cuff and in no order:

Cool Lester Smooth
Bodie Broadus
Bunk Moreland
Marlo Stanfield
Kima Greggs

this is my first or second favorite show of all time, depending on how recently I’ve watched The Sopranos at any given time. There isn’t a wasted scene or dialogue exchange in the entire series - every single episode is tremendous.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Mcnulty all day long!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
By the way, how did this never win an Emmy or Golden Globe?

The casting alone is incredible when you consider the sheer number of material characters.

Reaction Score
By the way, how did this never win an Emmy or Golden Globe?

The casting alone is incredible when you consider the sheer number of material characters.
THE most unknown and unappreciated show ever. It’s baffling. I’ve made it my adult life work to get as many people to watch it as I can. I’ve had a handful of people watch and to a (wo)man everyone has loved it. Nobody has ever even heard of it in my experience

Reaction Score
Best character development of any show I’ve ever watched. It’s interesting, there’s no crazy storyline or action like you might get in other great series. It’s just a bunch of struggling people in Baltimore trying to get by, but the characters were so good the show didn’t need much else to be great.

If I remember correctly I think the lead writer was actually a crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun who retired so he could write the script.

Anyways here’s my top 5:
1. Omar
2. Stringer
3. Bodie
4. Bubbles
5. Cutty

Honorable mention: Wee-Bey, Bunk, D’Angelo, Frank and Chris Partlow

Reaction Score
Wasn't Bubbles the character in Trailor Park Boys w the coke bottle glasses?

1589566666458.png

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

Awesome thread, and great timing since I just started rewatching the series 2 days ago.

I’ll have to put more thought into a top 5, but I know for sure that Marlo Stanfield is on the list. Ruthless dude, but unwavering. The scene where (spoiler) he has Chris shoot Prop Joe, the camera stays on Marlo’s eyes and he doesn’t blink as a bullet goes through the guys head 2 feet away. Obviously I don’t “like” him since he was so savage, but as a character he had incredible presence in every one of his scenes. All he cared about was the crown.

“You want it to be one way, you want it to be one way.....but it’s the other way.”

Reaction Score
Bodie & Marlo for sure.

The actor that played Marlo is actually phenomenal on "Bosch" check it out if you haven't.

Reaction Score
  1. Omar. You come at the King, you best not miss.
  2. Jimmy McNulty. Just a great "guy you love to hate" character. Such a jerk of a person, such a great cop.
  3. Bubbles. I don't know, for the life of me, how this guy was never a bigger star.
  4. Avon Barksdale. Stringer had bigger plans, Avon just wanted to run the corners.
  5. Slim Charles. Would love Slim Charles as my right hand guy. "That was for Joe" is my favorite line of the series.
Worst character: Brother Mouzzone or Cutty.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My list would be 40 characters long. I love that show. Ziggy Sobotka cracked me up.

Reaction Score
Can't keep it to a small list...

Snoop
Chris Partlow
Cheese

All of the bit players mattered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads