FAU Head Coach Tom Herman Comments On UConn Program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FAU Head Coach Tom Herman Comments On UConn Program

Reaction Score
I do not recall which Forum it is where I read that UConn is going to increase NIL even more next year.... Was that possibly the game announcer... I'm getting old with the memory. :)

Also, curiously why is all this talk about "football only" to PAC. I do not see why anyone would want our football at the moment. Maybe in a few years..... Isnt this why BIG 12 didn't take us??
The landscape is changing. It's all about the brand. UConns location has always been a weakness regarding athletic draw. With NIL, advertising opportunities (Fortune 500 Corporations and large companies) within 2hrs north and south of Storrs, location is becoming a strength.

Reaction Score
This is amazing. Lol
Coach Talk.
Dont take it too seriously.
In private, he's saying that they just beat NIU which went into SB and beat ND and can easily go into Storrs and beat UCONN. At least thats what he's telling his players.
Hopefully, UCONN lays the smack down on his Buffalo squad.

Reaction Score
1. Our football is more valuable than most give it credit for
Is it though? We as fans may think that but actually it is only worth what the media is willing to pay for it. We are only getting ~ $500K per year for football from CBS. Just to level set, MAC schools are getting ~ $2.5 million per school in their media deal - all sports, I know, but the majority of that is football.

Reaction Score
A basketball fan taking swipes at the FB program at UConn- who’d a thunk that could happen.

Not another one. The last guy who insisted I couldn’t be a football fan because of my handle has passed on. You can take over. I’m a huge UConn football fan. I’m simply saying, we won one FBS game. I really don’t think we should be patting anyone on the back for mission accomplished just yet. Hopefully, we keep winning and all of this is proven accurate. I’m still smarting from the two losses. Let’s win a few more before we marvel at the turnaround. It was an epic performance against FAU. I’m not arguing that at all. Best day I’ve had in months.

Also, I think if you reread my post you’ll see I was pumping up the program not ripping it. Your comprehension was off.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Is it though? We as fans may think that but actually it is only worth what the media is willing to pay for it. We are only getting ~ $500K per year for football from CBS. Just to level set, MAC schools are getting ~ $2.5 million per school in their media deal - all sports, I know, but the majority of that is football.
But that's my point.

The reason CBS got us on the cheap is because we are a single independent entity right now. However, our average attendance over the last 3 years is on par with many of the lower-tier P4 teams (WASU, Oregon State, Wake, Northwestern, etc). Furthermore, we are in the #30 ranked DMA from a TV standpoint. And that's with a team that has really really struggled, and has been on an uneven playing field financially.

Now, place that same demographic and that same fan base in a conference with a higher revenue stream. We will increase ticket sales about 30% - 40% (we know this is true because of the Big East days), and the TV viewership will increase because of more attractive matchups.

So... yes. I believe we are much more valuable than most think currently. Much much more. But don't just take my word for it. Yormark and Endeavor believe it too...

Reaction Score
But that's my point.

The reason CBS got us on the cheap is because we are a single independent entity right now. However, our average attendance over the last 3 years is on par with many of the lower-tier P4 teams (WASU, Oregon State, Wake, Northwestern, etc). Furthermore, we are in the #30 ranked DMA from a TV standpoint. And that's with a team that has really really struggled, and has been on an uneven playing field financially.

Now, place that same demographic and that same fan base in a conference with a higher revenue stream. We will increase ticket sales about 30% - 40% (we know this is true because of the Big East days), and the TV viewership will increase because of more attractive matchups.

So... yes. I believe we are much more valuable than most think currently. Much much more. But don't just take my word for it. Yormark and Endeavor believe it too...
You are putting the cart in front of the horse. You can’t say if we were in a p4 conference, we would be worth more. You could say the same thing about Northern Illinois. And you said football was worth more. Nothing about basketball. Yormark just wants our basketball. That I agree with. The fact that even with the best basketball program in the world - men and women, we can’t get into the Big12 just proves the point that - right now, football is not worth more than people think. We all hope that changes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Using that logic, FSU worth less as a football product than Rutgers, Indiana and Vanderbilt.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You are putting the cart in front of the horse. You can’t say if we were in a p4 conference, we would be worth more. You could say the same thing about Northern Illinois. And you said football was worth more. Nothing about basketball. Yormark just wants our basketball. That I agree with. The fact that even with the best basketball program in the world - men and women, we can’t get into the Big12 just proves the point that - right now, football is not worth more than people think. We all hope that changes.

You can't say the same thing about NIU. And Yormark didn't. And Endeavor didn't. Of course they want the basketball! But they are adding a program. And if they believed that our football was only with 500K, they would be losing money in the deal. That's why I know the football is worth more than you think...

Reaction Score
Sorry Marbles, UConn FB was already at the altar, a serious of unfortunate events(not the Lemony Snicket books) degraded and denalued our program. It will take another 6-8 years of throwing money at the program, maybe another good HC hire, and we might have a shot again. Don’t equate us with NIU, they are a nice program, but UConn has a higher floor and much higher ceiling. We just need to stay the course.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Value is in the eye of the beholder. The new Pac-12 may value some games on the East coast and some early time slots.

Reaction Score
If you refuse to see what is before you that cannot be helped. UConn is not as pathetic as people seem to think we are and that includes our own fans. You were just told why it works. You were just told that despite poor play that we get more people to attend than say Duke.

If you want to believe otherwise, have at it.

There is a reason why people laugh at us in a way they don't laugh at UMass. UMass cannot succeed. UConn has before and can again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom