OT: - Father & 7 yr old son podcast | The Boneyard

OT: Father & 7 yr old son podcast

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
My son & I are trying a new hobby together. Creating audio memories & learning together.

Description: A Father and his 7 year old son are figuring out the sports world together. Forty years of experiences separate Mike and Joseph. Both will try and tackle history’s classic debates and the modern sports landscape. Everything’s fair game. It’s their perspective. They’re probably horribly wrong.

We’ve recorded 3 episodes and welcome your constructive feedback and support. We’re tweaking a few things already. You only get one take with a 7 yr old. Now on Spotify, Anchor, Google pods, & Apple. More listening platforms to come. Feedback has been very supportive from teachers, friends, & coaches. Subscribe & listen.

pod1- We talk protective netting, Pete Rose & Colin Kaepernick.

pod2- We know the MLB Champion

pod3- Listener feedback, Designated Hitters & an NBA season preview.

Enjoy!!

Thanks,

Mike & Joseph

GemParty

Reaction Score
Thanks imno1

GemParty

Reaction Score
Did you know they spoofed this exact thing on SNL this past weekend!?

Hilarious. I need that microphone. I had no idea.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Our episode 2 is only 6 minutes & a good indicator of the show. We hope to make them in the neighborhood of 20 Minutes going forward so sports fans & families can listen in the car doing errands or on the way to work. Problem is, we like to talk. It’s been fun.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Loved all 3!
Keep 'em coming. 20 minutes is probably a good time.

You're probably well aware that Episode 1 had lots of echo, and some at the beginning of Episode 3.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Loved all 3!
Keep 'em coming. 20 minutes is probably a good time.

You're probably well aware that Episode 1 had lots of echo, and some at the beginning of Episode 3.

Thanks Hans, I think we have the echo figured out. It mostly has to do with room location & furniture in it. I appreciate the great feedback. Our next episode is half complete & is a Blind Resume on the NBA G.O.A.T. What platform did you listen on?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thanks Hans, I think we have the echo figured out. It mostly has to do with room location & furniture in it. I appreciate the great feedback. Our next episode is half complete & is a Blind Resume on the NBA G.O.A.T. What platform did you listen on?
For convenience, I simply clicked on Apple podcasts, which I don't have as an app. I just jumped in.

Castbox is my lead podcast app, and I'm a Spotify subscriber who has only used it so far for music. All this is by way of saying that I'll subscribe on the former if available, and latter if not, and let you know thereafter.

Coming up on age 7 was likely when I first awakened to following adults playing sports (maybe Mazeroski's home run, born in Pittsburgh), rather than just myself playing them. This set me up to follow the AFL from the beginning, even while having the Giants baked into me on Sundays with my dad, as well developing an early fondness for the Mets after the 1962 expansion. The rules to the major televised sports I learned from my father (and summer camp), the players I learned from Topps (& Fleer). There's do much in you'd back-and-forth w/Joe, and I have intimate connection to that age as n present day.

Ride for as far as it goes, and know that 8 is a notable shifting year in terms of developmental psychology.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Thanks. He can’t remember what he had for lunch, but somehow knows players & numbers. It’s uncanny. Most of it has come from ripping packs of cards, watching stuff like Sportscenter, & NBA2K. I’m sure he’ll get bored eventually. We were inspired by a recent visit to ESPN & I wanted to create an audio library for him to enjoy, long after I’m gone.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Castbox, Stitcher, & Tunein are pending approvals. Should see soon too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thanks. He can’t remember what he had for lunch, but somehow knows players & numbers. It’s uncanny. Most of it has come from ripping packs of cards, watching stuff like Sportscenter, & NBA2K. I’m sure he’ll get bored eventually. We were inspired by a recent visit to ESPN & I wanted to create an audio library for him to enjoy, long after I’m gone.
My interest might peaked when I read Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing at the, Super Bowl" at age 20, but has had a very long tail. A couple World Series and several Stanley Cup finals in person, a decent sampling of much more, and now it's well over 300 days a year on BY but shockingly little else captures me.

Do cards still have hard, chalky, pink rectangles of gum? If I recall correctly, I far more valued my Ron Hunt rookie card more than the Pete Rose.

Last edited:

GemParty

Reaction Score
My interest might peaked when I read Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing at the, Super Bowl" at age 20, but has had a very long tail. A couple World Series and several Stanley Cup finals in person, a decent sampling of much more, and now it's well over 300 days a year on BY but shockingly little else captures me.

Do cards still have hard, chalky, pink rectangles of gum? If I recall correctly, I far more valued my Ron Hunt rookie card more than the Pete Rose.

Cards have changed lots. Lots of signatures & game worn patches in cards. Some MLB stuff with guaranteed autographs are hundreds of dollars for a couple mystery cards. Box breaks on YouTube popular too. No more gum.

Should Pete be in the HOF?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Should Pete be in the HOF?
My odd (half-serious), ain't-gonna-happen take is that Pete, McGwire, Sosa, Clemens, Canseco, etc. (you get the idea) are segregated and/highlighted in a special exhibit called the Hall of Infamy, in which impressive athletic performers have their accomplishments acknowledged, but in the additional (or balancing) context of an overall look at what I call, for simplicity's sake, "cheating."

Cheating is a word I don't recall you mentioning to Joe, and I think a 7 year old could grasp it - no criticism of you if it wasn't said, just an observation on something that might have made an impression on him within the podcast, and there was so much in each segment that did similar work so well.

Obviously, Pete's issue goes more to the matter of integrity and sportsmanship and legality. I think, as well, that the sportswriters' panel could make the call on the infamy Members, as they do with the HoF Members.

Some additional disclosure that may or may not hold up to rigorous fact checking:

I think that the HoF is a private concern under the control of the Clark Foundation, which comes out of the Singer Sewing Machine Foundation. My daughter spent an abbreviated period of a summer vacation as a teenage nanny to a (the?) non-family senior executive of this overall concern. Elements of this episode were truly harrowing and make the values clarification of addressing gambling and/or performance enhancing drugs seem like small potatoes to what I had to confront , so I do have a conflicted interest that adds to my admittedly too-clever suggestion of the HoI.

I appreciate your asking, because I've never really has a forum that made sense for bringing it up.

Reaction Score
My odd (half-serious), ain't-gonna-happen take is that Pete, McGwire, Sosa, Clemens, Canseco, etc. (you get the idea) are segregated and/highlighted in a special exhibit called the Hall of Infamy, in which impressive athletic performers have their accomplishments acknowledged, but in the additional (or balancing) context of an overall look at what I call, for simplicity's sake, "cheating."

Cheating is a word I don't recall you mentioning to Joe, and I think a 7 year old could grasp it - no criticism of you if it wasn't said, just an observation on something that might have made an impression on him within the podcast, and there was so much in each segment that did similar work so well.

Obviously, Pete's issue goes more to the matter of integrity and sportsmanship and legality. I think, as well, that the sportswriters' panel could make the call on the infamy Members, as they do with the HoF Members.

Some additional disclosure that may or may not hold up to rigorous fact checking:

I think that the HoF is a private concern under the control of the Clark Foundation, which comes out of the Singer Sewing Machine Foundation. My daughter spent an abbreviated period of a summer vacation as a teenage nanny to a (the?) non-family senior executive of this overall concern. Elements of this episode were truly harrowing and make the values clarification of addressing gambling and/or performance enhancing drugs seem like small potatoes to what I had to confront , so I do have a conflicted interest that adds to my admittedly too-clever suggestion of the HoI.

I appreciate your asking, because I've never really has a forum that made sense for bringing it up.
They were all cheating in the 90's and Canseco obviously isn't a Hall of Famer, other than that a really strange post.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I think we will have lots of Celtics & UConn talk once their seasons begin too.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My son & I are trying a new hobby together. Creating audio memories & learning together.

Description: A Father and his 7 year old son are figuring out the sports world together. Forty years of experiences separate Mike and Joseph. Both will try and tackle history’s classic debates and the modern sports landscape. Everything’s fair game. It’s their perspective. They’re probably horribly wrong.

We’ve recorded 3 episodes and welcome your constructive feedback and support. We’re tweaking a few things already. You only get one take with a 7 yr old. Now on Spotify, Anchor, Google pods, & Apple. More listening platforms to come. Feedback has been very supportive from teachers, friends, & coaches. Subscribe & listen.

pod1- We talk protective netting, Pete Rose & Colin Kaepernick.

pod2- We know the MLB Champion

pod3- Listener feedback, Designated Hitters & an NBA season preview.

Enjoy!!

Thanks,

Mike & Joseph

Great stuff! Listened to all 3 episodes... its a really fun and unique idea. Growing up I admired Michael Kay and Joe Buck and always wanted to be a sports announcer, your son seems to have a natural talent for this - wish podcasts were a thing when I was 7!

Some feedback as a fellow podcaster myself...

1. You got to invest in some better mics - the podcast doesn't have to be studio quality but for the listening experience it would definitely be helpful to get rid of the reverb, which sounds more like an equipment issue than the space you're recording it in. Check our Pat Flynn's videos on podcasting, his videos is what I used to get my show off the ground, he has a lot of good recommendations for cheap equipment and editing software.

2. Not sure where you are editing the show, but if you have a Mac then garage band is a really easy way to record and edit.

3. I think the length of the show is okay, especially since you are talking about 3 different topics. The 6 minute one was too short. I probably wouldn't go longer than the 35 minutes you have now. Somewhere in the 22-28 minute range would be ideal (try to make it so someone could fit it all in during their commute to work)

4. Regular cadence. It's important to pick a day to release the show and stick to it on a regular cadence, that could be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.

Overall, I think you are off to a really great start! I'm also attached a slide deck I got from attending a free online podcast course by Pat Flynn. DM me if you have any specific questions!

Attachments

• The+Podcast+Cheat+Sheet+Version+4.pdf
    581.4 KB · Views: 78

GemParty

Reaction Score

I may need to revisit my green jello analogy & the word cheat in private. Very good point. Worth consideration. It’s tough in the moment to get all the right words. Good catch Hans!

Episode 4 should publish tonite. Who’s the NBA GOAT, blind resume.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Great stuff! Listened to all 3 episodes... its a really fun and unique idea. Growing up I admired Michael Kay and Joe Buck and always wanted to be a sports announcer, your son seems to have a natural talent for this - wish podcasts were a thing when I was 7!

1. You got to invest in some better mics - the podcast doesn't have to be studio quality but for the listening experience it would definitely be helpful to get rid of the reverb, which sounds more like an equipment issue than the space you're recording it in. Check our Pat Flynn's videos on podcasting, his videos is what I used to get my show off the ground, he has a lot of good recommendations for cheap equipment and editing software.

2. Not sure where you are editing the show, but if you have a Mac then garage band is a really easy way to record and edit.

3. I think the length of the show is okay, especially since you are talking about 3 different topics. The 6 minute one was too short. I probably wouldn't go longer than the 35 minutes you have now. Somewhere in the 22-28 minute range would be ideal (try to make it so someone could fit it all in during their commute to work)

4. Regular cadence. It's important to pick a day to release the show and stick to it on a regular cadence, that could be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.

Overall, I think you are off to a really great start! I'm also attached a slide deck I got from attending a free online podcast course by Pat Flynn. DM me if you have any specific questions!

Awesome ideas. We picked up a couple Lavalier lapel mics, will try soon. Thank you for the links. I’ll look into them both!!

GemParty

Reaction Score

I forgot to ask, what’s your podcast name & topic?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Awesome ideas. We picked up a couple Lavalier lapel mics, will try soon. Thank you for the links. I’ll look into them both!!

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing the next episode!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I forgot to ask, what’s your podcast name & topic?

My podcast is called the Wicked Tasty Podcast. I'm based in Nashville TN and the show is an interview style show with entrepreneurs of the food & drink industry. I help share their stories so others can learn about their businesses and also understand how much work it takes to get a business off the ground. It is an extension of our instagram page (@wickedtasty) and website (www.eatwickedtasty.com).

First 10 episodes were recorded at my guests locations (restaurants / stores) so the audio quality is not optimal. Finally just moved into a professional studio, which I'm super excited about!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom