Fans in their Seats at Kickoff | The Boneyard

Fans in their Seats at Kickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UConn9604

AP Sportswriter Janie McCauley (@JanieMcCAP) just tweeted that the 49ers are offering half-price concessions before kickoff, in order to get fans to get into their seats early.

I wonder if this is something that could be done at The Rent -- if not until kickoff (which would merely result in huge lines at 12 o'clock, and not necessarily fans in their seats), then maybe until half an hour before kickoff, i.e., for the first hour after the gates open (10:30-11:30 for noon kickoffs).

I think this isn't a bad idea. It would essentially provide a financial incentive for tailgating inside the stadium (on the plazas, concourses, etc.) where fans could see the band and the players warm up, and be there for any special events taking place on gameday.

While it wouldn't change my gameday plans (or many of yours), I could see it as an attractive option for fans who show up around 10 o'clock or so and don't want to set up their grills for just an hour or so. It would require some restructuring of Sodexho's contract but might even result in more revenues for them in the end.

Just a thought.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Half price Heineken, well drinks specials and ladies get in free!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In a facility run by the state government (at the end of the day)? Unlikely and wouldn't work anyway.

Reaction Score
Never in our lifetime we will always be late comers,its in our blood party party get every last drop in before arrival ! Lmfao!!!!!!

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
A hunch: what if the Rent just opened/closed the gates an hour earlier/later?...

Reaction Score
They have the same problem at PSU and Texas. It has been better this past season though at the Rent.

Reaction Score
Hopefully our fanbase is getting better educated. There are still some who are there for the tailgate experience & care less about the game. Instance 1: a night game in 2010- Coed types parked in the row behind us met their parents for the evening tailgate. As we were putting away our tailgate supplies in preparation of entering the stadium for the game, these women get back in their vehicle & drove away to go clubbing.
Instance 2: Tailgate before the Rutgers game this season. People parked next door to us (arrived at 9 A.M. as we did) started cooking a paella type seafood dish at 11:15 & started eating at 11:40 as we were walking to the stadium. They were long gone when the game was over.

Reaction Score
All you really need is a compelling introduction that makes fans want to get inside the stadium on time.

Reaction Score
All you really need is a compelling introduction that makes fans want to get inside the stadium on time.

You must be referring to the whisper quiet fly over that we got last year. The little white jet. I farted when it went overhead and barely heard it. That type of compelling?

The Rent sits in the backyard of Pratt. How about a F35? Or a large transport aircraft? C5 or C17. Something cool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I don't think this problem is unique to UCONN, as annoying as it is. Many BCS schools have the same issue.

SOmeone made a post a year or so back that suggested having a horn, or dogs barking, or some sort of loud noise from the PA system that would indicate to tailgaters to start packing up before the game.

Reaction Score
We already have a very compelling pre-game show but it doesn't seem to matter. Nothing has. Honor our seniors? Nope. Pay tribute to war heroes? Nah. In fact, as a test, I offered $20 to any fan around our tailgate who would be in their seats (not wandering the concourses) 10 minutes before kick off---and got no takers. I don't know what it would take, but the chance to drink more beer seems to trump any other attraction. Most tell me it costs too much to buy the stadium beer so they keep on guzzling in the parking lot. Talk about priorities.

Incidentally, ever wonder why the beer cost so much in the stadium? The guy who managed the overall Rent construction project said there was a big discussion on pricing, but the committee who decided it thought the higher the price the more it would discourage excessive drinking and resultant bad behavior. Sounds crazy but it's true.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the beer thing is easy. if you buy between 30-10 mins before kickoff its half price. cut prices on food and everything for that time period. have a howl that goes around the stadium at 10 mins as the cut off. slowly a few 100 ppl each game will jump on that and enjoy it, eventually it will make a difference as the #s grow.

a howl at 45mins before gt should go over the pa system across parking lots as a buzzer for tailgating...i loved that idea. then we need to work on a cool into/coming out of the locker room. all those things together will slowly help put 25/30k in the seats 15 mins before gt a couple years from now.

Reaction Score
The only way Rentschler will even begin to address this issue is to discount beer before kickoff. People that tailgate are going to want to cook/eat their own food regardless. I imagine most tailgaters don't spend much on concessions until well into the second half. But cheap beer before kickoff will help bring some more people in, although only a small dent.

Bottom line is people will show up for kickoff for the rare big game, but you could give away money at the gate and the stadium still won't be filled when we kick off vs. Buffalo. It sucks but it's the truth. I'm happy UConn football is associated with a party atmosphere and it's going to help build the fan base in the long run (as well as helping us overcome poor seasons with a crowd that shows up regardless to tailgate).

We're going to have to accept that the only way to counter this issue is having a successful team that people want to see at kickoff. 3 and a half hour games vs. mediocre competition is brutal--if the opponent isn't going to be the draw, then UConn needs to be.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is so not a big deal I can't understand the obsession. When I went to the Big House, more people left early than fit in The Rent.

Reaction Score

This. Went to a few Tennessee games and everyone always wanted to get into the stadium well before kickoff to see the T march up and down the field.

FSU has a pretty cool pre game procession as well.

Reaction Score
How about having a threat of a 60 yard pass play on the home teams opening drive?

Reaction Score
Went to a few Tennessee games and everyone always wanted to get into the stadium well before kickoff to see the T march up and down the field.

I'm curious. Have you ever seen our band march up the field in Block C to "Fight On Connecticut"? It's pretty stirring stuff. Wouldn't it be cool to have a full house waving Blue and White Pom Poms in the stands as the Husky Band performs? Instead, this is what all the media members sitting in the press box get to see, as do all the early arriving visiting fans. They get to experience firsthand the passion that Husky fans display during pre-game and draw conclusions about the big time nature of Husky football. Watch this. I'm sure you'll be inspired by the rabid nature of the cheering throng. And don't think, well, this is Fordham. All the games look like this. Makes you proud to be a Husky, doesn't it?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is so not a big deal I can't understand the obsession. When I went to the Big House, more people left early than fit in The Rent.

This thread just needs to be pinned so we don't have to see it every 2 weeks.

If you're their for kick, you're good in my book. Want to throw back an extra Keystone instead of hearing the fight song played for the first of hundreds of times throughout the day, fine with me too.

Fill the house and win games. That's what it takes to be big time, not all this inconsequential drivel.

Reaction Score
We already have a very compelling pre-game show but it doesn't seem to matter. Nothing has. Honor our seniors? Nope. Pay tribute to war heroes? Nah. In fact, as a test, I offered $20 to any fan around our tailgate who would be in their seats (not wandering the concourses) 10 minutes before kick off---and got no takers. I don't know what it would take, but the chance to drink more beer seems to trump any other attraction. Most tell me it costs too much to buy the stadium beer so they keep on guzzling in the parking lot. Talk about priorities.

Incidentally, ever wonder why the beer cost so much in the stadium? The guy who managed the overall Rent construction project said there was a big discussion on pricing, but the committee who decided it thought the higher the price the more it would discourage excessive drinking and resultant bad behavior. Sounds crazy but it's true.

It probably is true.

If there were, say $4-5 beers, people would be pounding the out of them.

Reaction Score
I like our pre game. I also like hearing Battle Hymn of the Republic before the game, but it simply isn't as good as some of the others I have seen.

There is also the possibility that something of that caliber would be lost on our fans.

I'm curious. Have you ever seen our band march up the field in Block C to "Fight On Connecticut"? It's pretty stirring stuff. Wouldn't it be cool to have a full house waving Blue and White Pom Poms in the stands as the Husky Band performs? Instead, this is what all the media members sitting in the press box get to see, as do all the early arriving visiting fans. They get to experience firsthand the passion that Husky fans display during pre-game and draw conclusions about the big time nature of Husky football. Watch this. I'm sure you'll be inspired by the rabid nature of the cheering throng. And don't think, well, this is Fordham. All the games look like this. Makes you proud to be a Husky, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
This thread just needs to be pinned so we don't have to see it every 2 weeks.

If you're their for kick, you're good in my book. Want to throw back an extra Keystone instead of hearing the fight song played for the first of hundreds of times throughout the day, fine with me too.

Fill the house and win games. That's what it takes to be big time, not all this inconsequential drivel.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that perspective. Just win, baby.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Agree with ConnHuskBask. Make me want to go to the game before kick. Compel me. The band doesn't do it for me. Some of you may enjoy watching the band, that's fine, but I prefer watching the level of beer in my Keystone can shrink.

(Plus the parking lost Keystone is already paid for and costs much less so my choice to arrive late is economical in nature as well.)

Reaction Score
I agree with all of you that we need fans to be in there seats before game-time starts. but its never going to happen. Ive been a lurker on this site for awhile and dont understand why this topic is continually braught up. As a season ticket holder I am usually always in my seats before kickoff as I enjoy watching the team come out the tunnel, but there have been a few instances when I have not. (blue lot still drinking) Someone that purchases a ticket should be able to go into the game whenever they feel like it. True it does look bad during kickoff for a game on espn when the stadium looks half empty. How many of the people at the game are true UConn football fans? not many. Just take a walk behind the big scoreboard during the game and you"ll see hundreds of people not even paying attention to the game. We dont need gimmicks to put people in there seats. We need real fans and were far from that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom