Fall Recruiting Speculation | The Boneyard

Fall Recruiting Speculation

Reaction Score
Your thoughts or hopes and reasoning

Cliff Omoruyi & Niels Lane play together at Roselle Catholic, there has been social media posts indicating friendship connections to current team members (Gaffney at least), and they have both visited in close succession, but, both were unofficial visits. Omoruyi has gushed about Kentucky and Lane has been reported as a strong Florida lean. My guess is that they have some interest in continuing to play together in college and that UConn is mutually high enough on each player's list to be the program they are considering. I am guessing that they have hurried to visit now while we still have 2 scholarships open, and have made them unofficials because their travel costs are low and they can keep their individual official options unused. My speculation is that we get both or neither, with neither having the greatest odds since we are not the reported dream school of either.

Geronimo has been getting crystal ball picks that aren't UConn plus our interest seems recent.

Cam Thomas now has an L$U pick and the competition seems significant despite strong interest in UConn being reported by our posters in the know. I'm routing for us but I just get the gut feeling this is drifting away.

For me, it seems to come down to Richmond & Cardwell and tough sledding if that doesn't happen. I would be very happy with that pair. Cardwell gives us a center with upside, and Richmond gives us added depth at 1-3 with ball skills that should be valued a 6'5. Both players are likely 4 year type players to build on. With our current players this should be a team to reckon with. We have crystal ball picks for Richmond plus a wink or two. Cardwell has the visit scheduled. I'm crossing my fingers we close on both. I think they really plug in missing pieces.

In my mind we will then have a roster just waiting for a 5* to lead us over the top if another scholly opens. A person who could fill the role of a bonafide star could even be on the team already between Alterique, Akok, Bouknight, etc

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Your thoughts or hopes and reasoning

Cliff Omoruyi & Niels Lane play together at Roselle Catholic, there has been social media posts indicating friendship connections to current team members (Gaffney at least), and they have both visited in close succession, but, both were unofficial visits. Omoruyi has gushed about Kentucky and Lane has been reported as a strong Florida lean. My guess is that they have some interest in continuing to play together in college and that UConn is mutually high enough on each player's list to be the program they are considering. I am guessing that they have hurried to visit now while we still have 2 scholarships open, and have made them unofficials because their travel costs are low and they can keep their individual official options unused. My speculation is that we get both or neither, with neither having the greatest odds since we are not the reported dream school of either.

Geronimo has been getting crystal ball picks that aren't UConn plus our interest seems recent.

Cam Thomas now has an L$U pick and the competition seems significant despite strong interest in UConn being reported by our posters in the know. I'm routing for us but I just get the gut feeling this is drifting away.

For me, it seems to come down to Richmond & Cardwell and tough sledding if that doesn't happen. I would be very happy with that pair. Cardwell gives us a center with upside, and Richmond gives us added depth at 1-3 with ball skills that should be valued a 6'5. Both players are likely 4 year type players to build on. With our current players this should be a team to reckon with. We have crystal ball picks for Richmond plus a wink or two. Cardwell has the visit scheduled. I'm crossing my fingers we close on both. I think they really plug in missing pieces.

In my mind we will then have a roster just waiting for a 5* to lead us over the top if another scholly opens. A person who could fill the role of a bonafide star could even be on the team already between Alterique, Akok, Bouknight, etc
Yeah way too early for that speculation, but it does feel like we're close to having something special. It does seem like we have a lot a talent and are in need of one more key piece to have something really special.

We are still doomed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You read my mind about Cliff, Lane and Cam and it feels like last year with Kofi and Precious.
Sure we're late on Geronimo but we were late on Deandre Daniels if I recall correctly.

Our staff is supposed to be a four man recruiting dynamo so I'm hoping for the best with these three players but still trusting they'll find two or three players that help the growth and development continue. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think if we can't reel in 2 real 4* recruits, this class would be a pretty big bust. This was the new staff's first full recruiting cycle with a class.

They need a recruit to give fans the sense we're back on the map. Thomas is the only real option at this point. Cliff, maybe for the casuals that haven't watched him play--a 6'11 kid with a 7'6 wingspan that can tie his own shoes gets rated around 50. He has a lot to prove IMO.

Cardwell and Richmond seems pretty reasonable for a class at this point (though I am not giving up on Jackson). That, to me, would be a major, major disappointment.

At that point we'd need to look into revamping recruiting strategy. Another year of it and I'd be calling for a new staff. I hope we can land Thomas--he's the saving grace for 2020.

Reaction Score
The important thing is that no one is overreacting.

Would a class of Cardwell and Richmond be a disappointment to you? To me, it would be.

IMO if you add Thomas to the group and that becomes a great class. Add Jackson, Cliff, Lane, or Geronimo, it becomes decent but not concerning.

Obviously this is all speculation still, but it seems to be shaping up this way a bit, with Thomas, Jackson and Cliff being the likely substitutes/additions.

pj

Reaction Score
Would a class of Cardwell and Richmond be a disappointment to you? To me, it would be.

No, because it solidifies the team -- solid talent on par with what's already here; adding depth. The team will be quite good (Gaffney & Cole at PG; Bouknight, Richmond, BAdams, Sid on the wing; Akok, Polley as stretch 4s; Cardwell, Carlton, Springs, Whaley as bigs -- this is a solid team, lacking in stars but 2 deep with solid players everywhere. Once you have that level of depth you can be more aggressive in recruiting and pitch the 5* on being the last missing piece.

Playing in the Big East, winning games and getting into the NCAA tourney, seeing an attractive style of play played by guys recruited for that style (Hurley guys not Ollie guys) -- all of these things will help recruiting.

We're in good shape as a program. It's more about instant gratification if you're disappointed.

Think then of 2021-22. We'll lose three backups: Whaley, Sid, and Tyler, plus Josh. The team could really see a significant upgrade with that class. The team is going to be getting better every year through the 2022-23 season. That steady improvement is going to impress recruits and prep/AAU/high school coaches.

The future is bright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, because it solidifies the team -- solid talent on par with what's already here; adding depth. The team will be quite good (Gaffney & Cole at PG; Bouknight, Richmond, BAdams, Sid on the wing; Akok, Polley as stretch 4s; Cardwell, Carlton, Springs, Whaley as bigs -- this is a solid team, lacking in stars but 2 deep with solid players everywhere. Once you have that level of depth you can be more aggressive in recruiting and pitch the 5* on being the last missing piece.

Playing in the Big East, winning games and getting into the NCAA tourney, seeing an attractive style of play played by guys recruited for that style (Hurley guys not Ollie guys) -- all of these things will help recruiting.

We're in good shape as a program. It's more about instant gratification if you're disappointed.

Think then of 2021-22. We'll lose three backups: Whaley, Sid, and Tyler, plus Josh. The team could really see a significant upgrade with that class. The team is going to be getting better every year through the 2022-23 season. That steady improvement is going to impress recruits and prep/AAU/high school coaches.

The future is bright.

I can't possibly disagree that we're headed in the right direction. The energy in the program in noticeable. Before a major bout of injuries, our team looked VERY improved last season. Hurley getting a kid like Vital completely bought in and playing at a close to all-conference level was a stroke of genius.

I think we'll just have to disagree about whether Richmond/Cardwell would be a disappointing class. I need to see instant contributors--neither of these guys are.

The staff gets one season more pass in my opinion. If 2021 doesn't shape up, I'm worried.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

IMO if you add Thomas to the group and that becomes a great class. Add Jackson, Cliff, Lane, or Geronimo, it becomes decent but not concerning.

Obviously this is all speculation still, but it seems to be shaping up this way a bit, with Thomas, Jackson and Cliff being the likely substitutes/additions.

So basically if we don't get Cam Thomas the class is a bust? Got it.

pj

Reaction Score
I can't possibly disagree that we're headed in the right direction. The energy in the program in noticeable. Before a major bout of injuries, our team looked VERY improved last season. Hurley getting a kid like Vital completely bought in and playing at a close to all-conference level was a stroke of genius.

I think we'll just have to disagree about whether Richmond/Cardwell would be a disappointing class. I need to see instant contributors--neither of these guys are.

The staff gets one season more pass in my opinion. If 2021 doesn't shape up, I'm worried.

I think it's reasonable for the coaches to be disappointed if they get a Cardwell-Richmond class. As they must have been disappointed when they missed on Kofi and Precious.

But I don't think it's reasonable for fans to be disappointed. Such a class keeps the team on an upward trajectory.

Jim Calhoun had us on a steady upward trajectory for 14 years before his first national championship. I can give Hurley a few years of upward trajectory before I get disappointed that the upward trajectory is rising too slowly.

Reaction Score
i Would be fine with Cardwell and Richmond. They fill holes going forward. Cardwell and Cliff were 1A 1B (whoever commits first) and Richmond is a rising kid who will end up somewhere around top 75. Cam Thomas is the jewel to me. Just cannot teach that scoring ability but let’s see how things shake out. Calling for a change in staff if they don’t get a 5* recruit this or next year? Yikes.

Reaction Score
i Would be fine with Cardwell and Richmond. They fill holes going forward. Cardwell and Cliff were 1A 1B (whoever commits first) and Richmond is a rising kid who will end up somewhere around top 75. Cam Thomas is the jewel to me. Just cannot teach that scoring ability but let’s see how things shake out. Calling for a change in staff if they don’t get a 5* recruit this or next year? Yikes.

Richmond's composite rank is currently 163. He is probably a better player than that would indicate, but the rankings have mostly been updated this month.

Didn't say they need to get a 5*. But swinging and missing on every top 100 kid we go after isn't a good look for 2020. If they can't pull off realt 4* players in 2021 then yeah I think a change of the recruiting coordinator and some assistants would be fair. We'll see how think work out, even 2020 isn't over yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Richmond's composite rank is currently 163. He is probably a better player than that would indicate, but the rankings have mostly been updated this month.

Didn't say they need to get a 5*. But swinging and missing on every top 100 kid we go after isn't a good look for 2020. If they can't pull off realt 4* players in 2021 then yeah I think a change of the recruiting coordinator and some assistants would be fair. We'll see how think work out, even 2020 isn't over yet.
Agree but being in a lot of top kids lists is a good thing. It generates buzz and basically is like free advertising. Agree that you have to be able to close the deal some of time though.

Reaction Score
I think what it all comes down to is the fact that we have to win and get back into the tournament to consistently get quality recruits. Top 100 kids almost always go to programs that are established and have won in recent years. I have faith in Hurley and staff as Hurley took Rhode Island to the tournament with only a few Top 100 recruits on his roster. In my opinion, a great coach can put together and develop a really good team even if the roster isn't loaded with blue chip prospects. Think Brad Stevens at Butler and Jim Calhoun at Northeastern and his early days at UConn. Once we get back into the tournament on a consistent basis, the recruits will come. Until then, Hurley has to prove he can win with 4 star and 3 star recruits.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I think when the dust settles we will be more than satisfied with who we land for next season, it's a fluid situation that cant be Monday morning quarterbacked. The staff just completed this years class a couple weeks ago, give them a chance to get it nailed down.
Maybe we'll get a cryptic message "the cam dam is breaking" and all will be begging for clarification and certification. ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Personally, I think if we can't reel in 2 real 4* recruits, this class would be a pretty big bust. This was the new staff's first full recruiting cycle with a class.
I was always under the impression that a real recruiting cycle for 4/5 * players begins in their sophomore year. Not just one calendar year. To see such a significant uptick in the recruiting talent after getting in late on all this year's recruits is encouraging and bodes well for the future. To quote a few, "It's a grind" and 'It's a marathon".

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Who do we lead for on 2020
Kids?

Reaction Score
I don't understand the thought that Richmond wouldn’t be in instant contributor.

With his skill-set, size, playmaking ability, and the fact that he can play multiple position, he isn’t going to uconn or any other school to be the 11th man. He can play.

Caldwell would get playing time too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom