Fall practice highlights | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fall practice highlights

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
UConn 53, Butler 41. Calhoun's third national championship. You'd toss that for an 89-88 loss?

FYI: Back in the day (a LONG time ago) when I played for Penn in the 60's, the Philadelphia public and Catholic high school championships were held at the "Cathedral", aka The Palestra. The public champions invariably scored in the 70-80's, the Catholic winner was in the 50's. Which was more entertaining/exciting? No question - the public game. Which was more instructive? For me - the Catholic game.

The respective champions then played for the overall city title. During my three years at Penn (only three - Uncle Sam came calling) the public schools won twice, the Catholic school once. The scores? 50-45, 57-50, 57-54.

Conclusions? As you see fit. For me, the Catholic schools' discipline and tempo was successful in mitigating the public schools' athleticism and speed..............to a point......... but not quite enough to overcome their firepower. The contrast resulted in some great basketball.
Would you rather have played in the 60’s and scored in the 50’s, played in the 80’s and scored in the 60’s or played in the 50’s and scored in the 80’s?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
UConn 53, Butler 41. Calhoun's third national championship. You'd toss that for an 89-88 loss?

FYI: Back in the day (a LONG time ago) when I played for Penn in the 60's, the Philadelphia public and Catholic high school championships were held at the "Cathedral", aka The Palestra. The public champions invariably scored in the 70-80's, the Catholic winner was in the 50's. Which was more entertaining/exciting? No question - the public game. Which was more instructive? For me - the Catholic game.

The respective champions then played for the overall city title. During my three years at Penn (only three - Uncle Sam came calling) the public schools won twice, the Catholic school once. The scores? 50-45, 57-50, 57-54.

Conclusions? As you see fit. For me, the Catholic schools' discipline and tempo was successful in mitigating the public schools' athleticism and speed..............to a point......... but not quite enough to overcome their firepower. The contrast resulted in some great basketball.

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Reaction Score
No way whalley sanogo and Cole don’t start. Those our your locks - whalley has pretty much been a starter the last two years , he’s not gonna come back for his 5th year and ride the bench when the ball goes up to start the game. Gotta figure Martin is probably a lock as well at the three just because of his experience and toughness. That’s leaves the 2 spot up for grabs between ajax and gaff. Akok and Hawkins in the mix too but Hawkins a frosh so he’s not starting yet and they will blend akok in as year progresses. Wouldn’t be surprised if both those guys are starting by mid January and Gaffney and Martin are coming off the bench….

Reaction Score
No way whalley sanogo and Cole don’t start. Those our your locks - whalley has pretty much been a starter the last two years , he’s not gonna come back for his 5th year and ride the bench when the ball goes up to start the game. Gotta figure Martin is probably a lock as well at the three just because of his experience and toughness. That’s leaves the 2 spot up for grabs between ajax and gaff. Akok and Hawkins in the mix too but Hawkins a frosh so he’s not starting yet and they will blend akok in as year progresses. Wouldn’t be surprised if both those guys are starting by mid January and Gaffney and Martin are coming off the bench….

If this is true (big if), you need to start whoever the best shooter is in practice. Cole, Rese, Whaley, Sanogo is only ONE proven shooter at our level. Going into a game with 1 shooter, 2 non shooters, and two guys who are question marks at best is a recipe for disaster.

That's the bigger problem with Ajax inability to shoot the ball at all. He really can't play with any other non-shooters or the whole gravity of the game gets messed up. And none of our 4s are proven shooters. I don't see how he gets the big minutes we need out of him unless Whaley, Akok, or Rese can shoot from the 4 spot.

Reaction Score
Jackson isn't playing the 2 guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jackson isn't playing the 2 guard.

I keep seeing saying people say Jackson isn't a 2 or Martin isn't, but I am fairly sure they will play together at some point, with Whaley or Akok at the 4. So maybe it doesn't really matter. Maybe Gaff is in as the PG, brings it up, and Jackson runs the offense. I expect a lot of positional flexibility among almost everybody but Cole, Sanogo and Diggins.

And while @husky429 is concerned with AJax's inability to shoot and Martin's level of shooting, we don't know what they will do. Martin shot very well before his late slump last year. Jackson only needs to get to the low 30s in 3 pt. percentage to be very effective given everything he can do. I don't care who is a "proven" shooter, they will either do it in games or not. I have every expectation that Akok and Martin can get to 35% from 3. Maybe even Whaley on low volume. They will or won't and that will impact minutes, as will defense, rebounding, 2 point scoring and other phases of the game.

Reaction Score
"Jackson only needs to get to the low 30s in 3 pt. percentage"

"only"!? Low 30's is a huge jump from what he did last year. What was it, 11%? And he looked bad doing it. It would be a notable development if he got as high as 25%. His form is poor and needed to be retooled in the offseason. I'm sure he spent the majority of his time working on that but he's got a long way to go to get to the low 30's.

Reaction Score

"only"!? Low 30's is a huge jump from what he did last year. What was it, 11%? And he looked bad doing it. It would be a notable development if he got as high as 25%. His form is poor and needed to be retooled in the offseason. I'm sure he spent the majority of his time working on that but he's got a long way to go to get to the low 30's.
Not saying he is a good shooter but I feel like that 11% number doesn’t tell the whole story. He was coming off an injury and it was covid season. He really couldn’t get into a rhythm and again I’m not saying he is a good shooter. I think making a big jump with a larger sample size and a more “normal” season isn’t so far fetched.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

He's a gifted athlete with exceptional eye-hand coordination. Shooting is very teachable. One of the most teachable skills in the game. If he looks like he did last year as a shooter, Martin, Polley and Hawkins will take a lot of minutes. This is his livelihood. He's so athletic, and such a great passer that he's an NBA player if he gets anywhere near 35% from outside. He will do it or not.

Prior to last year, Mac Jones hadn't done much as a QB. He starts for the Patriots in a week or so.

Reaction Score
I like your contrarian thinking.

All the moneyball, analytics types will oppose quick shots from mid-range. But all the defenses are giving those shots. And you would be the only team they face designed to take them, so unfamiliarity would help, much as Syracuse gets more success than they deserve out of a 2-3 zone.

That said, Hurley needs to prepare his guys for the NBA and playing an NBA style is more conducive to that.
One of the big reasons why mid range shots are so bad is that even people (and professionals) who train and practice midrange shots for their whole career shoot only barely marginally better on open long 2s than they do on somewhat contested 3s, which are worth 50% more points.

Much of the difficulty in a jump shot is the footwork, balance, and consistency of the mechanics themselves, the aiming/distance is only part of it, and 15 vs. 22 feet isn't much different. A team that practices and wants to take long 2s might shoot 45% on them (a mark considered quite accurate), whereas they might've shot 36% on slightly contested 3s (NBA league average).

Reaction Score
I keep seeing saying people say Jackson isn't a 2 or Martin isn't, but I am fairly sure they will play together at some point, with Whaley or Akok at the 4. So maybe it doesn't really matter. Maybe Gaff is in as the PG, brings it up, and Jackson runs the offense. I expect a lot of positional flexibility among almost everybody but Cole, Sanogo and Diggins.

And while @husky429 is concerned with AJax's inability to shoot and Martin's level of shooting, we don't know what they will do. Martin shot very well before his late slump last year. Jackson only needs to get to the low 30s in 3 pt. percentage to be very effective given everything he can do. I don't care who is a "proven" shooter, they will either do it in games or not. I have every expectation that Akok and Martin can get to 35% from 3. Maybe even Whaley on low volume. They will or won't and that will impact minutes, as will defense, rebounding, 2 point scoring and other phases of the game.

I expect the starting lineup will consist of Cole, Whaley, Sanogo... and whoever else has shot well in practice while doing what else we expect from them (such as passing/rebounding from AJ)

If that is Rese and Gaffney, that probably means those two were shooting well in practice. If it's Hawkins and AJ, it probably means those two were shooting the best. You get the idea.

A lot can change in a summer. And we're really relying on some pretty substantial improvements from guys over last year to be the top-25 team we want to be. It isn't easy, but this staff has shown they can develop guys. And we know look is a star developer of perimeter talent, so we might even have elevated in that regard.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I expect the starting lineup will consist of Cole, Whaley, Sanogo... and whoever else has shot well in practice while doing what else we expect from them (such as passing/rebounding from AJ)

If that is Rese and Gaffney, that probably means those two were shooting well in practice. If it's Hawkins and AJ, it probably means those two were shooting the best. You get the idea.

A lot can change in a summer. And we're really relying on some pretty substantial improvements from guys over last year to be the top-25 team we want to be. It isn't easy, but this staff has shown they can develop guys. And we know look is a star developer of perimeter talent, so we might even have elevated in that regard.

I'm with you except replace shooting with defense. I think that will be Hurley's #1 priority for who plays. But I honestly don't think it will be as simple as "best shooting" or "best defending" in practice, it will be a mixture of those, plus other elements, each weighted. Possibly in this order 1. defense 2. shooting 3. for SF rebounding for SG ball handing/passing and so on.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of everyone fretting over us being a bad 3pt shooting team with no/limited 3pt shooters!!!

We are going to be %$#^$%&^ fine, people.

Our 3 highest-volume 3pt shooters (RJ, Tyler, Gaff) are all back and shot a collective 36.9% from 3pt land.

One of them (Gaff) made a leap from 26.4% to 36.2% on similar volume from freshman to sophomore year. I expect him to be as good/improve this year

One of them (Tyler) saw his overall % dip from ~40% to ~36% compared to previous year. BTW, he was coming off an ACL injury. I would be shocked if he shot worse than 35% this year, not at all surprised to see him get 40+%

One of them (RJ) was his first year at high-level D1 ball. Took him probably half of a wack start-stop COVID-affected season to get comfortable. BTW, in his last 10 games, he shot 44.4% from 3 on good volume.

Our secondary 3pt shooters:

-Whaley: In his 1st ever season shooting 3's as part of his game, he showed he is capable of making them at a decent clip on decent volume (~35%). Would be shocked if he regresses.

-Tyrese: Finished the last 7 games in a heck of a slump (1/17), but was 15/33 (45%) prior to that. I'm sure he's worked like heck on his shot over the summer and I don't think his mechanics are that horrible, so I expect him to be 30-35%

Wildcards:
-I would bet that out of the collective of AJ, Akok, Rahsool, Hawkins, CFJ, and Samson, that at least 1-2 will emerge to be a 35-40% shooter on decent volume, the rest will collectively fall somewhere in the 27-35% range.

Bonus take:
-Don't sleep on Richie Springs!

Reaction Score
I'm with you except replace shooting with defense. I think that will be Hurley's #1 priority for who plays. But I honestly don't think it will be as simple as "best shooting" or "best defending" in practice, it will be a mixture of those, plus other elements, each weighted. Possibly in this order 1. defense 2. shooting 3. for SF rebounding for SG ball handing/passing and so on.

Yeah, we're basically on the same page. I'd just swap #1 and #2. Excited to have the depth we do and which guys put in the work to improve this summer. The SG and SF spots must be really competitive in practice.

Reaction Score
Not saying he is a good shooter but I feel like that 11% number doesn’t tell the whole story. He was coming off an injury and it was covid season. He really couldn’t get into a rhythm and again I’m not saying he is a good shooter. I think making a big jump with a larger sample size and a more “normal” season isn’t so far fetched.
He came in with a reputation as a poor shooter and that was before Covid and injuries. I guess I'm not saying he can't triple his percentage to, say, 33%, but HuskyHawk said "only" get into the low 30's. The possibility is there and I'm sure we all hope he can do it but it will have been a monumental feat. That's the only point I'm making.

Reaction Score
He came in with a reputation as a poor shooter and that was before Covid and injuries. I guess I'm not saying he can't triple his percentage to, say, 33%, but HuskyHawk said "only" get into the low 30's. The possibility is there and I'm sure we all hope he can do it but it will have been a monumental feat. That's the only point I'm making.
If he can get to 25-28% next year I’d be happy considering all the other stuff he does exceptionally well. And I think he can definitely do that

Reaction Score
Gaff may start but Hawk is way more athletic and a more capable scorer to sit down
Yes, Hawkins is athletic and can shoot but let's see if Gaffs tentative ways have seen better days, because he is athletic and has nice looking shot also. Hawk has all the tools to be a special player and he will not be "sitting down", he will get minutes no doubt.

Reaction Score
If he can get to 25-28% next year I’d be happy considering all the other stuff he does exceptionally well. And I think he can definitely do that
Maybe, but that's a completely different suggestion than the one to which I replied.

Reaction Score
Except if he's shooting threes that poorly then he's probably not going to take many. Which is an issue in and of itself.

Reaction Score
Basketball in the 60s and today are completely different.

The fact is that if you think we should be a team that scores in the 50s we aren't going to win very many games.
I did NOT say we SHOULD be a team that scores in the 50s. I simply asked if one would rather win a game in the 50s or lose a game in the 80s. I'd rather win a boring game in the 50s than lose an exciting game in the 80s. If others feel differently, fine, but that does not translate to my WANTING games in the 50s. I'd much prefer to win games in the 80s........emphasis on "win".

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying and I don't disagree on a larger level, but as you're choosing defense over shooting at other spots I think you have to adjust the priorities. Ignoring the 1 and 5 where the starter is obvious, if you choose defense at the 4 with Whaley, and defense at the 3 with Martin or Jackson it becomes almost a must to prioritize shooting at the 2 to have any semblance of an offense

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think the lineup will be; Cole, Jackson, Martin, Whaley, Sanogo

My preferred lineup would be; Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Polley, Sanogo. If Whaley is willing to come off the bench. Defense would be a struggle, but that lineup would be the most efficient offensively.

Reaction Score
I did NOT say we SHOULD be a team that scores in the 50s. I simply asked if one would rather win a game in the 50s or lose a game in the 80s. I'd rather win a boring game in the 50s than lose an exciting game in the 80s. If others feel differently, fine, but that does not translate to my WANTING games in the 50s. I'd much prefer to win games in the 80s........emphasis on "win".

The point is you don't win many games in the 50s. You don't seem to understand tje point I'm making.

Of course everyone wants to win. I'd rather win a game 10-8 than pose 199-200 but it just doesn't work that way.

All basketball is enjoyable. But you wanna play a deep packline and the slowest pace imaginable like Virginia, it isn't feasible to win consistently in the 50s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom