Fake recruit rated in 247 | The Boneyard

Fake recruit rated in 247

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This has been happening for a long time. This happened with a UConn verbal linebacker from Georgia and when Georgia offered he went to a three star and when he committed to Georgia he went to a four star recruit. The SEC gets the bump many times, especially the top teams, like Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Texas A&M

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
not an isolated incident and something that happens more than one will know

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
not an isolated incident and something that happens more than one will know
And that’s why we should stop judging these high school players by their purported offers and lamenting over not getting them and trust RE’s ability to evaluate talent- then pray we can develop them properly while they’re here. I believe most of the guys that he has brought here can turn into solid FBS players. I trust that RE and his staff knows what a potential FBS player looks like. Unfortunately having to play them young jaded how we judged their talent. By the time these guys are juniors and seniors we’ll see a huge difference- for most of them

Reaction Score
And that’s why we should stop judging these high school players by their purported offers and lamenting over not getting them and trust RE’s ability to evaluate talent- then pray we can develop them properly while they’re here. I believe most of the guys that he has brought here can turn into solid FBS players. I trust that RE and his staff knows what a potential FBS player looks like. Unfortunately having to play them young jaded how we judged their talent. By the time these guys are juniors and seniors we’ll see a huge difference- for most of them
Offer lists still hold value. There will always be guys with fake and non-commitable offers, but as a general rule, I'll always hope for a class of guys that other schools see potential in than guys that only we see potential in.

That's not to say that guys with great offers will be great, or guys with no offers will be terrible - but there's absolutely a correlation.

Reaction Score
Offer lists still hold value. There will always be guys with fake and non-commitable offers, but as a general rule, I'll always hope for a class of guys that other schools see potential in than guys that only we see potential in.

That's not to say that guys with great offers will be great, or guys with no offers will be terrible - but there's absolutely a correlation.
I can agree here. Good points

Reaction Score

Yes but ...

The inverse is true; and UConn (and some others) are the outliers in CFB. If you are in Quebec ... or most HSs in New England or upstate NY, you aren't going to get a dozen offers. Maybe not 3 solid FBS. It just ain't happening. And again, the PUBLIC information on 247 is not necessarily true. Some act like this is like real estate appraisal work: there's no certified licensing with these rating agencies. It is about your money paying them a profit ... not integrity.

The other notable outlier - there is a kid from Detroit (attended Avon Old Farms) that claims offers from UCLA, Inidana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Wisconsin ... and he signed with Maine.

I agree that you can make broad sensible statements about our recruitment based on offers from P5 programs and beyond. The industry does not have perfect information on most kids - yup like 98%. NOTE: we simply don't compete with the 9 of the other AAC programs for non-Texas kids; and never with the MWC - except weird CA or others. It is P5 and rarely MAC. The "We lost to a CAA" ... I think is always a story.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes but ...

The inverse is true; and UConn (and some others) are the outliers in CFB. If you are in Quebec ... or most HSs in New England or upstate NY, you aren't going to get a dozen offers. Maybe not 3 solid FBS. It just ain't happening. And again, the PUBLIC information on 247 is not necessarily true. Some act like this is like real estate appraisal work: there's no certified licensing with these rating agencies. It is about your money paying them a profit ... not integrity.

The other notable outlier - there is a kid from Detroit (attended Avon Old Farms) that claims offers from UCLA, Inidana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Wisconsin ... and he signed with Maine.

I agree that you can make broad sensible statements about our recruitment based on offers from P5 programs and beyond. The industry does not have perfect information on most kids - yup like 98%. NOTE: we simply don't compete with the 9 of the other AAC programs for non-Texas kids; and never with the MWC - except weird CA or others. It is P5 and rarely MAC. The "We lost to a CAA" ... I think is always a story.

You're just searching for a pretext that fits your "Randy is a great recruiter" predetermination.

Reaction Score
You're just searching for a pretext that fits your "Randy is a great recruiter" predetermination.
Except what he says is true. Todman was a 2 star recruit except for the 3 days that he was rumored to have a Penn St offer when he jumped to 3 stars. When Todman stuck with UConn he dropped back to a 2 star. Seeing offers Texas/Florida kids has significance, but not as much as some think. The rating services have a limited number of employees and they are more reactive than proactive in their ratings. When a kid gets a top level offer they will start to cover and provide a rating. When there are 500 prospects in Fl and TX there is no way to independently evaluate. Ratings for New England, New York and Canadian kids it is virtually useless. If a kid attends a rivals camp they get a rating. If not, it depends on whether they get BC, Syracuse or Penn St interest. Syracuse had 2 obscure Canadian commits with no other offers (one was getting interest from Kent St and Buffalo) and they are both 3 star commits.

It is no coincidence that UConn's best rankings happened when Edsall was producing NFL talent. The rating guys had to save face and give Uconn a few more 3 stars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Nope.

I’m debating this notion that “we just don’t close” on kids we need.

First, this is easy to find, Randy was considered the best recruiter on the Syracuse staff in the late 1980s; the most elevated level Syracuse Football ever achieved. That includes evaluation skill level. At age 61 or whatever, he hasn’t lost most of that. He is a top level Football talent.

I’m discouraged with his younger 2.0 staff. I don’t see the Todd Orlando, Johnson, Ambrose, Ryan influence of any. Jury is still out.

I get the impression that MANY Boneyard think this is like Car Sales. (Which obviously is structurally changing as I write). If you are in long gestation relationship sales and closing ... you see elements of UConn recruitment. I’m disappointed in 2018 & 2019 classes in some specific ways. I do think Plug GR Transfers & JuCo makes tons of sense; get kids who excelled at that lower level.

What to watch for?

Development of QB. HCRE 1.0 never did. Great improvement in OL; both hugely disappointing in PP & Diaco. Improvement in both swath of young DL & DB. I think we have talent. And WTF! Where are the LBs. UConn had a slew of solid LBs 2006-2010.

The shots that we only beat FCS schools and get unknowns was never fair. If Eric Watts is a Monster (like Lindsey Witten became), I won’t care if we only beat North Greenville U.

Reaction Score
Yes but ...

So interesting you brought up the kid that’s going to Maine. My buddy and I were just talking about him like how the heck????? You choose Maine over those schools??
Makes you wonder for sure

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I agree with this as it ignores the whole stars argument. If a player has offers from D1 schools, it looks better than when we are the only FBS school to offer a kid and he commits. Not saying the kid can't be a stand out but gone are the days of finding hidden players. The internet makes that impossible. However, if a kid has FBS offers, even from G5 schools, and he chooses UConn, I consider that a step in the right direction.

Stars are flawed. As many have said. If said player is a 2 star and then gets interest, offer, or commits to a power conference school, they magically jump to 3 star or higher.

Reaction Score
I agree with this as it ignores the whole stars argument. If a player has offers from D1 schools, it looks better than when we are the only FBS school to offer a kid and he commits. Not saying the kid can't be a stand out but gone are the days of finding hidden players. The internet makes that impossible. However, if a kid has FBS offers, even from G5 schools, and he chooses UConn, I consider that a step in the right direction.

Stars are flawed. As many have said. If said player is a 2 star and then gets interest, offer, or commits to a power conference school, they magically jump to 3 star or higher.

I disagree that there aren’t hidden players. Look at nfl rosters. There are plenty of FCS players.

But I agree with general premise. Offer lists are a good gauge.

Reaction Score
College Football Recruiting Site Gets Catfished By Fake Recruit

I think Randy might be right when he says he doesn’t pay any attention to the stars a player gets. This kid doesn’t even exist and got 3 stars cause “Alabama” offered!
obviously there are more of these fake offers out there.. interesting read

So if 'he' tweeted that he got an offer from UConn, the ranking would drop to zero? I would love to catfish recruiting by giving my 'player' (a qb) that would be the stats of Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Joe Montana and Brett Favre, with offers from USC, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, FSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Texas and Oklahoma. I wonder what the star would be...if he was in Texas. But I might have him 'play' in Maine.

Randy is right, who cares about stars....if Randy found a QB who makes Tom Brady look like JaMarcus Russell and he lived in Northern Norway, he would be unranked, because he is not from THE FOOTBALL STATES (California, Florida, Texas). That is why I don't care about the rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom