Fake Depth | The Boneyard

Fake Depth

Reaction Score
This is my last thought for the evening before I drink myself into oblivion.

All we heard about was all the depth we have and how competitive the practices have been. Through 12 games, it’s clear to me that we truly lack substantial depth.

Polley is somehow worse this year than last.

Gaffney lacks confidence and has zero role.

Akok sits for head scratchingly long amounts of time.

Samson can’t crack the lineup (even with injuries)

Diggins can’t get off the bench.

Richie can’t get off the bench.

When we have any adversity, Hurley tightens the leash and cuts the rotation to six or seven. I think the reason we can’t close out games is because the kids are exhausted from playing so much. If we are going to lose to providence any way, I would rather develop some depth for down the road.

We need to press to create offense and we can’t do that when we play 7 guys.

Reaction Score
Break in case of Emergency kind of depth. Would like to see Sampson get good minutes. He could probably make 3's better than Polley at this point.

Reaction Score
At least it makes more sense for DH to do it, because the games are tight. What’s Geno’s rationale during blowout after blowout?

Reaction Score
I think Brey said it about depth and Hurley by his behavior agrees. Depth is very overrated for games and underrated for practice.

Still have no idea what gaffney has done or continues to do to warrant the burn he gets.

Reaction Score
This I will agree with. Would rather develop Digg and Samson for next year than keep watching gaff and polley run around doing next to nothing. I don’t care if they play like all Americans in practice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is my last thought for the evening before I drink myself into oblivion.

All we heard about was all the depth we have and how competitive the practices have been. Through 12 games, it’s clear to me that we truly lack substantial depth.

Polley is somehow worse this year than last.

Gaffney lacks confidence and has zero role.

Akok sits for head scratchingly long amounts of time.

Samson can’t crack the lineup (even with injuries)

Diggins can’t get off the bench.

Richie can’t get off the bench.

When we have any adversity, Hurley tightens the leash and cuts the rotation to six or seven. I think the reason we can’t close out games is because the kids are exhausted from playing so much. If we are going to lose to providence any way, I would rather develop some depth for down the road.

We need to press to create offense and we can’t do that when we play 7 guys.
Agree. All the talk about depth preseason and even now and like the Captain and violin player we go down with ship hoping for different outcomes with the same guys. Zero reason Hawk and Digs should not get more run…Dig gets nothing and then we will be surprised when these top 100 guys all run to the transfer portal. For life of it all….can we move on from
Polley.

Reaction Score
It’s a head scratcher how Polley can be so hot/cold. Mostly cold

Reaction Score
Was Polley ever consistently hot?

Inconsistent players are just that, inconsistent.

What is equally troubling is his almost non-existent rebounding and defense. He could work on these to give some worth to his time on the floor.

Reaction Score
At least it makes more sense for DH to do it, because the games are tight. What’s Geno’s rationale during blowout after blowout?
11 national championships

Reaction Score
We have depth. The problem is everyone misunderstands the value of depth.

Depth is valuable in that when players go down, you can adjust without much drop-off. Frankly, we saw that. Our performance without Martin or even Sanogo wasn't all that much worse.

What we're lacking is top-flight talent and guys who can do some things exceptionally well without having massive flaws exposed in other areas.

Reaction Score
We have depth. The problem is everyone misunderstands the value of depth.

Depth is valuable in that when players go down, you can adjust without much drop-off. Frankly, we saw that. Our performance without Martin or even Sanogo wasn't all that much worse.

What we're lacking is top-flight talent and guys who can do some things exceptionally well without having massive flaws exposed in other areas.
We're letting every opponent dictate style of play. All offseason Hurley talked about playing fast and our depth. We instead play at a snails pace and with Gaffney and Polley bringing nothing to the table and Hurley burying the two freshmen on the bench we have no depth.

You would think with our low post bucket getter out the coach would adjust and not want the team getting stuck in a slow half court game where we can't execute on offense but no.

Reaction Score
Everyone is questioning playing time so why don't we have any answers.

Where’s the depth?​

Patrick Martin: Throughout the offseason, Hurley trumpeted the team’s depth in both the frontcourt and backcourt. Well, UConn’s bench scored a whopping four points last night; one Polley trey and one Hawkins free throw. Polley’s struggles are coming at a bad time, and Jalen Gaffney has six turnovers in the last two games, which is inexcusable for a backup guard.

Is Rahsool Diggins supposedly so lost on defense that he can’t get more time? RJ Cole looked gassed at the end of the game because he’s charged with facilitating and creating. Tyrese Martin was grinding out a wrist injury. Isaiah Whaley made some uncharacteristic mental mistakes at the end.

When your best players are that gassed at the end of the game, you get a type of comeback performance that falls short. When UConn was at its woeful worst, why not empty the bench and see what they can do? What’s five to eight minutes of some Samson Johnson, Akok, Diggins, and Hawkins when you’re down 15? If the answer to all of this is that the kids aren’t ready for anything more than spot minutes, then we have an entirely different conversation on our hands.

Aman: This team might be missing another reliable ballhandler alongside Cole. Diggins hasn’t played much at all while Gaffney has been decently productive but inconsistent. His turnovers put Hurley in a tough spot; they had to keep Cole out there for 35 minutes against Providence, which is not ideal. Gaffney and Diggins need to get better to spell Cole and I’d also like to see more of Hawkins out there given his scoring ability.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Everyone is questioning playing time so why don't we have any answers.

Where’s the depth?​

Patrick Martin: Throughout the offseason, Hurley trumpeted the team’s depth in both the frontcourt and backcourt. Well, UConn’s bench scored a whopping four points last night; one Polley trey and one Hawkins free throw. Polley’s struggles are coming at a bad time, and Jalen Gaffney has six turnovers in the last two games, which is inexcusable for a backup guard.

Is Rahsool Diggins supposedly so lost on defense that he can’t get more time? RJ Cole looked gassed at the end of the game because he’s charged with facilitating and creating. Tyrese Martin was grinding out a wrist injury. Isaiah Whaley made some uncharacteristic mental mistakes at the end.

When your best players are that gassed at the end of the game, you get a type of comeback performance that falls short. When UConn was at its woeful worst, why not empty the bench and see what they can do? What’s five to eight minutes of some Samson Johnson, Akok, Diggins, and Hawkins when you’re down 15? If the answer to all of this is that the kids aren’t ready for anything more than spot minutes, then we have an entirely different conversation on our hands.

Aman: This team might be missing another reliable ballhandler alongside Cole. Diggins hasn’t played much at all while Gaffney has been decently productive but inconsistent. His turnovers put Hurley in a tough spot; they had to keep Cole out there for 35 minutes against Providence, which is not ideal. Gaffney and Diggins need to get better to spell Cole and I’d also like to see more of Hawkins out there given his scoring ability.
Amazing so many people see this but not the coaching staff - amazing

Reaction Score
Amazing so many people see this but not the coaching staff - amazing
They have to see it. JC was at the game and I am sure he and Dan speak. I just don't understand why it's a big secret.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Tuesday night can’t come fast enough. There’s a lot of chatter and a majority opinion. Can’t wait to see the response. The staff has to right this ship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom