Fair is Fair, correct? | The Boneyard

Fair is Fair, correct?

Reaction Score
We all know what happened at the end of the Baylor game, and the uproar that followed. So last night Williams get called for her 5th foul and at least Lobo called it out, said clearly no contact at all, and the "rule" for refs is if you can't see it you can't call it, don't call something that you thought looked suspicious. So has Michael Jordan posted "clearly not a foul." Have the announcers on ESPN other than Rebecca commented on the travesty of it all. Seems to me if you complain about a bad call you think helps UConn you have to also complain about the calls the other way. Another play I don't understand, I think it was Reese smashed into Paige and sent her sprawling to the floor. That left her open, the ball was passed to her and she drove around Edwards for the score, with Paige on the floor not able to help out on defense. Is there some rule saying that was not a foul. I can see missing a call that is hard or really close, but some are so bad I just cannot understand them. Have any of the people who complained about the Balor non foul mentioned this one? Has sports media become non objective

Reaction Score
In contrast do some Uconn fans have the same attitude about missed or bad calls when it goes them as they do when it benifits them. I think everyone saw that Williams was called for a phantom foul. I have also seen fouls like this called on other players in the tournament that impacted their games as well. One missed or phantom call does not justify another. Some are more egregious than others though. The issue is that the officiating is not what it should be. No official will be 100% correct, but this tournament has shown that the number of bad calls goes beyond what should be expected from simply competent officials.

It is unfortunate that people only care when it affects them personally. We should all be concerned with fairness no matter who gets the advantage or the shaft. The focus should be on improving the officiating in the future and that will only happen if the emphasis is not on who was the victim, but everyone uniting so that something is done to improve officiating.

Reaction Score
In contrast do some Uconn fans have the same attitude about missed or bad calls when it goes them as they do when it benifits them. I think everyone saw that Williams was called for a phantom foul. I have also seen fouls like this called on other players in the tournament that impacted their games as well. One missed or phantom call does not justify another. Some are more egregious than others though. The issue is that the officiating is not what it should be. No official will be 100% correct, but this tournament has shown that the number of bad calls goes beyond what should be expected from simply competent officials.

It is unfortunate that people only care when it affects them personally. We should all be concerned with fairness no matter who gets the advantage or the shaft. The focus should be on improving the officiating in the future and that will only happen if the emphasis is not on who was the victim, but everyone uniting so that something is done to improve officiating.
All true. But we lost because they played faster and better. We had no answer. Our offensive game in the lane was weak, and we missed too many foul shots ( when we got to the line ). The team gave us all but the very last game of the season. We defeated Iowa and Baylor in classic NCAA Tournament games. A lot to be proud of. But Arizona was better from the tip off, for whatever variety of reasons. I also subscribe to the theory that the Baylor game took a lot out of this team....physically and emotionally. Maybe easier to come back from that if a team is more experienced at this level. But that is an excuse, not a reason.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that bad calls that favor UConn are just as bad. My problem is some just seem so bad I cannot understand them. Like Paige getting knocked to the floor. Did none of the refs see it? hard to believe that? Or the one where Aubrey was called for a charge and the defensive player was 100% in the circle. When that one happened I was not sure about it, I thought maybe you just can't be in the circle if you are going there to help another defender, or maybe she was there before Aubrey started her move. But a number of boneyarders have said if you are in the circle it cannot be a charge. Maybe it should be a non call, but it cannot be a charge. I don't know if that is correct, but no one corrected those posters so I assume they are correct. If so, then I don't see how the refs could make the call. It is beyond bad, it is .... I won't say it.

Reaction Score
Things happen so fast, it’s hard to tell if one team got the worst of the bad calls if you look at the entire game. But, I agree. There are too many really bad calls.

On CW’s 5th foul, the refs went to the video tape to make sure they called it on the right person. It would be interesting to know what they said to each other after watching CW not even touching the player......

“What do we do now?” “Let’s keep the foul on her. She didn’t touch the player but maybe she wanted to.” “Anybody have a coin?” The game demands that they weed out officiating incompetence.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
All true. But we lost because they played faster and better. We had no answer. Our offensive game in the lane was weak, and we missed too many foul shots ( when we got to the line ). The team gave us all but the very last game of the season. We defeated Iowa and Baylor in classic NCAA Tournament games. A lot to be proud of. But Arizona was better from the tip off, for whatever variety of reasons. I also subscribe to the theory that the Baylor game took a lot out of this team....physically and emotionally. Maybe easier to come back from that if a team is more experienced at this level. But that is an excuse, not a reason.
There have been several posters bemoaning our free throw shooting as a significant contributor to our loss. But last night we shot right at our team average just over 70%. Now any free throw miss is painful to watch, and in big games more so. But we shot as well as Zona at the stripe, but far less often. They just were too disruptive defensively early on and we never overcame that .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We all know what happened at the end of the Baylor game, and the uproar that followed. So last night Williams get called for her 5th foul and at least Lobo called it out, said clearly no contact at all, and the "rule" for refs is if you can't see it you can't call it, don't call something that you thought looked suspicious. So has Michael Jordan posted "clearly not a foul." Have the announcers on ESPN other than Rebecca commented on the travesty of it all. Seems to me if you complain about a bad call you think helps UConn you have to also complain about the calls the other way. Another play I don't understand, I think it was Reese smashed into Paige and sent her sprawling to the floor. That left her open, the ball was passed to her and she drove around Edwards for the score, with Paige on the floor not able to help out on defense. Is there some rule saying that was not a foul. I can see missing a call that is hard or really close, but some are so bad I just cannot understand them. Have any of the people who complained about the Balor non foul mentioned this one? Has sports media become non objective
It's apples and oranges. The Baylor no call would have put Baylor at the line with a couple seconds to go with a chance to take the lead. It was a very clear example of a missed call that likely would have changed the outcome of the game.

The phantom foul was a terrible call and definitely hurt UCONN's chances, but Arizona led from start to finish and was in control the entire game. That one call didn't decide who won and who lost like the Baylor no call.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps there is no outrage because most fans and celebrities are too busy congratulating Arizona. Arizona dominated this game wire to wire.
David beat Goliath-badly!

Reaction Score
Perhaps there is no outrage because most fans and celebrities are too busy congratulating Arizona. Arizona dominated this game wire to wire.
David beat Goliath-badly!
David's plan was to put enormous pressure on the perimeter, especially on Paige. This gave Goliath ample opportunity in the paint but was not taken advantage of. Therefore, Goliath beat himself.
Given a week to prepare against David, Goliath, IMO, would win by 15 or 20 points, eh?

Reaction Score
But we did have almost a week to prepare for the game.
How so? We escaped Baylor on Monday night, decompressed Tuesday, prepared for either Stanford or SC on Wednesday & Thursday and played lightly regarded AZ on Friday, eh?

Reaction Score
Let's keep it simple. Uconn lost due to the fact that Arizona outhustled and out toughed them. Uconn horribly missed a good 10 layups or more(I always say that you don't deserve to win if you miss bunnies). The officiating was horrible on at least 6 major calls against UCONN. The worst 2 calls cost them CW who really showed up and was playing one of her best games. Real simple

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
In the Baylor game, the refs couldn’t go to the video to overturn the no call.

In the Arizona game, the refs could (and did) go to the video to confirm who the foul was on. Despite being able to see the play from different angles, replay it, and slow it down, they still made a bad call.

I don’t think it would make any difference in the outcome of the game, but I do hate it for Christyn.

Reaction Score
The phantom call and the Paige non calls didn’t happen at the 4 second mark or they would have been more publicized.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that bad calls that favor UConn are just as bad. My problem is some just seem so bad I cannot understand them. Like Paige getting knocked to the floor. Did none of the refs see it? hard to believe that? Or the one where Aubrey was called for a charge and the defensive player was 100% in the circle. When that one happened I was not sure about it, I thought maybe you just can't be in the circle if you are going there to help another defender, or maybe she was there before Aubrey started her move. But a number of boneyarders have said if you are in the circle it cannot be a charge. Maybe it should be a non call, but it cannot be a charge. I don't know if that is correct, but no one corrected those posters so I assume they are correct. If so, then I don't see how the refs could make the call. It is beyond bad, it is .... I won't say it.
The primary defender is allowed in the circle. If it was the help defender then it would be charge.

Reaction Score
Has anyone posted about Reese barreling over Paige and nothing was called? I believe it was in the 1st quarter. That was another outrageous mistake by the refs.
That actually was the correct call by the officials on that play. Paige didn’t beat the player to the spot. That was a block and not an offensive foul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom