Fagbenle ruled ineligible to play freshman year at Harvard... | The Boneyard

Fagbenle ruled ineligible to play freshman year at Harvard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i was looking for some stats on her as harvard has started off 0-2 and she was a top 10 kid from 2011. turns out she's ineligible to play this year, at least according to the NCAA so far.

Fagbenle ineligible

To make matters worse, if the decision is not overturned she'll be a true sophomore next year, even without playing, with only 3 years eligibility left. i don't quite get it, but its too bad for Temi.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
seems like they wanted to get her academics in order and stayed a extra year in prep (not sure if she played hoop in that extra yr) guess thats like going to a junior college:

stayed at Blair Academy in New Jersey for an extra year for athletic rather than academic purposes, making her eligible for only three years of college basketball.

Reaction Score
This doesn't sound right, but when did the NCAA make any sense? If she was top 10, she didn't need athletic development. If she went to Harvard, it is arguable that she benefitted more from an academic development such as improving her writitng skills. Time to throw a challenge flag.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
maybe she played... and shouldnt have!

Reaction Score

Screwed, blued, and tattooed. Who ever figured female players would get penalized for aspiring to go to Harvard?

Reaction Score
so she did a post graduate year? isn't that what most boys are doing to get more looks for college anyways :confused:

Reaction Score
seems like they wanted to get her academics in order and stayed a extra year in prep (not sure if she played hoop in that extra yr) guess thats like going to a junior college:

stayed at Blair Academy in New Jersey for an extra year for athletic rather than academic purposes, making her eligible for only three years of college basketball.

But even if that's the case, why is she being forced to sit out this year? It would seem the only argument is whether she should have 3 or 4 years of eligibility.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But even if that's the case, why is she being forced to sit out this year? It would seem the only argument is whether she should have 3 or 4 years of eligibility.
i honestly have no idea on the answer to that question. per the article,

According to the NCAA, Fagbenle, who came to the United States after her sophomore year of high school, stayed at Blair Academy in New Jersey for an extra year for athletic rather than academic purposes, making her eligible for only three years of college basketball.

It goes on to say that the coach and Temi's family stated that's untrue and that she went to Blair Academy for academic purposes - after all she wanted to go to Harvard.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good point... normally its on the back end of the career, never crossed my mind

thanks

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
What is the NCAA thinking?
Penalize someone for being an egg-head?
Sounds like...discrimination against smart people...to me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
so she did a post graduate year? isn't that what most boys are doing to get more looks for college anyways :confused:
Not most, but, yes, many.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes, let's rule ineligible a girl who isn't even on an athletic scholarship. Way to go, NCAA. It's clear you're on the ball and won't take any guff now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, let's rule ineligible a girl who isn't even on an athletic scholarship. Way to go, NCAA. It's clear you're on the ball and won't take any guff now.

Must distract the masses with rigor, while Cam Newton leads another bunch of athletes out the back door.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yep, the Barbarians Are At The Gate at good 'ol HaaaVaaad.

Reaction Score
Must distract the masses with rigor, while Cam Newton leads another bunch of athletes out the back door.
Liked it so much I had to say it too. The hypocrisy is just overwhelming.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
What a joke the NCAA is... A Harvard bound girl for Pete sakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom