Ezi Magbegor signs w/ WNBL club for three years | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor signs w/ WNBL club for three years

Reaction Score
Links: Category: | Herald Sun
Rising star Ezi is staying put

"ONE of the world basketball’s best and most talked-about rising stars is staying in Australia.

Teenager Ezi Magbegor – who has been described by Australian Opals coach Sandy Brondello as “future of the Opals” – has signed with WNBL club Melbourne Boomers for three years.

Magbegor – last season’s WNBL rookie of the year with Canberra - was strongly tipped to move to the US to play college basketball, having visited a number of top line schools over the past few months.

But Magbegor said the chance to be mentored by Australian basketball legend and Boomers assistant general manager Lauren Jackson swayed her decision."

Reaction Score
Huh. So much for that ringer!

Perhaps she'll come to New York to play for the Liberty in her time off.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Finally an end to this after 118 pages of rumours, expectations, discussions about UCLA or UConn.
not-with-a-bang.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well, this guy still hasn't gotten the memo as he continues to report otherwise in this new article:

Magbegor glistened for the Canberra Capitals in her rookie WNBL season and is set to move to the United States to play college basketball later this year, but first she has a home Commonwealth Games gold medal to win.

Basketball Australia working to extend WNBL season

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh well. Had heard it was a toss-up even after the Canberra news. I couldn't figure out why but now we know. UConn was recruiting against Lauren Jackson!!

Reaction Score
Well, this guy still hasn't gotten the memo as he continues to report otherwise in this new article:

Magbegor glistened for the Canberra Capitals in her rookie WNBL season and is set to move to the United States to play college basketball later this year, but first she has a home Commonwealth Games gold medal to win.

Basketball Australia working to extend WNBL season

I posted that he just probably made a mistake or was inaccurate with his reporting and everybody told me I was crazy. When the reporter was contacted by UConn beat writers to confirm that Magbehor was coming to UConn and he did not reply back I knew that he was incorrect in his reporting.

Reaction Score
Everybody...................or should I say some of us thought this was a long shot from the beginning.................certainly worth the effort.....................the good news is she's staying in Australia as opposed to her going to UCLA..................now based on some of the other posts I've read, Sam Brunelle and Aliyah Boston can now come to UConn

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
When the reporter was contacted by UConn beat writers to confirm that Magbehor was coming to UConn and he did not reply back I knew that he was incorrect in his reporting.

I don't know how a lack of response confirms anything. He's still reporting it this way, and in the new piece he has umpteen quotes from Lauren Jackson.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Everybody....or should I say some of us thought this was a long shot from the beginning.......certainly worth the effort......the good news is she's staying in Australia as opposed to her going to UCLA...now based on some of the other posts I've read, Sam Brunelle and Aliyah Boston can now come to UConn

As I recall, some said it was "spinning wheels" to even discuss her visiting UConn. Others here knew a visit would happen and that there was quite a bit of talk among people in WBB (non-UConn) who believed she was coming to UConn, none of which was posted here. Still, there were obstacles including a big push to keep her in Australia which apparently has prevailed. It ended up not being a long shot. It was very close.

Recruiting Magbegor had no bearing on Brunelle.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Certainly a bit deflating. An Aliyah Boston would more than make up for it though, imo. She may not have Ezi' quickness but her IQ and timing are fantastic. Built like a powerhouse too. Be nice if she'd make her list public.

Reaction Score
I don't know how a lack of response confirms anything. He's still reporting it this way, and in the new piece he has umpteen quotes from Lauren Jackson.

Because it became obvious that he had no real knowledge on the situation and was making false assumptions.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Because it became obvious that he had no real knowledge on the situation and was making false assumptions.

He reports for her team in Canberra. He talks to her coach. He talks to people like Lauren Jackson. I'm not sure it's accurate to say he has no real knowledge of the situation. Something else--something weird--went on here, imo.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Links: Category: | Herald Sun
Rising star Ezi is staying put

"ONE of the world basketball’s best and most talked-about rising stars is staying in Australia.

Teenager Ezi Magbegor – who has been described by Australian Opals coach Sandy Brondello as “future of the Opals” – has signed with WNBL club Melbourne Boomers for three years.

Magbegor – last season’s WNBL rookie of the year with Canberra - was strongly tipped to move to the US to play college basketball, having visited a number of top line schools over the past few months.

But Magbegor said the chance to be mentored by Australian basketball legend and Boomers assistant general manager Lauren Jackson swayed her decision."

Geez, talk about a giant mood swing and a buzz kill from sheer joy to that of a state of slight depression and despair. I really thought they had her hooked. :( She would have made a huge positive impact on the program had they been able to recruit her.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, that's kind of weird. Either he really knows something, or he is way out of the loop.

Reaction Score
Well, on the bright side, I see that as increasing our chances with Boston next year.
Lets hope the flirtation does not affect Boston. I have always felt she was a must have recruit-fits UConn perfectly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom