Ezi Magbegor In The News | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor In The News

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
As you point pout, there are several ways to get into the WNBA. But over the last few years, the one sure way to get into the WNBA was to start for and graduate from UConn WBB. Heck, UConn even gets their reserves into the WNBA, i.e. Kiah Stokes.
Playing at UCONN is no guarantor of WNBA success either. Kelly Faris couldn't make the cut and Renee Montgomery has bounced around the league for years. Steph Dolson is more of a personality than an actual contributor for both of the teams she's played for, Tiffany Hayes has bounced around the league as well, even KML hasn't raised any hell in the league and I thought her game was better suited for the WNBA.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Playing at UCONN is no guarantor of WNBA success either. Kelly Faris couldn't make the cut and Renee Montgomery has bounced around the league for years. Steph Dolson is more of a personality than an actual contributor for both of the teams she's played for, Tiffany Hayes has bounced around the league as well, even KML hasn't raised any hell in the league and I thought her game was better suited for the WNBA.

There are currently 14 UCONN players on WNBA rosters. How many from Ohio State?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? Do you even follow the WNBA?

Tiffany Hayes has bounced around the league? Tiff has played for exactly one team during her WNBA career -- the Atlanta Dream. Tiffany has improved her game every year and was an WNBA All Star last season while average 16 ppg. She was recently invited to Team USA's camp.

Stef (not Steph) Dolson was also an WNBA All Star last season. She started every game she played in last season for the Chicago Sky. She averaged 29 mins/game and 14.5 points/game (2nd on the team). Does "personality" put up those sorts of numbers?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My point was not how successful UConn players are in the WNBA, but simply that a UConn WBB pedigree usually guarantees that you make a team.

Kelly Farris, whom you site, is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. She was a tough kid and daughter of a Coach. But absolutely no one would have projected her as a pro prospect when she showed up at UConn. Kelly has beaten the odds with a 5 year career in the WNBA, arguably something that never happens if she goes anywhere other than UConn.

Reaction Score
Nothing in life is guaranteed, but look at recent history of UConn players making it:
2017 - Chong
2016 - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck
2015 - KML, Stokes
2014 - Dolson, Hartley
2013 - Faris
2012 - Hayes
2011 - Moore
2010 - Charles, Montgomery?
My memory is a bit fuzzy pre-2014, but if there's a school with a better track record at putting players into the pros, I'd sure like to know who that is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Say what?
Hayes has played for the Atlanta Dream her whole career. Scored in double digits 5 of the 6 years she's played. Was their leading scorer last year. And was an WNBA All-Star last year.

Dolson is a 2 time WNBA All-Star. Career double digit scoring avg.

Montgomery has played for a few teams, but also has 2 WNBA Championships, was a WNBA All-Star and won the WNBA 6th Man award once.

Maybe it's best you don't talk about UCONN players seeing as you really don't know much about them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wait... I remember a certain poster predicting that Kelly Faris would never make a WNBA roster. Wait... that was a while ago in 2013. It's coming back to me now! IT WAS YOU!
Repeat after me!
Kelly Faris....... clap clap clap clap!
Kelly Faris........ clap clap clap clap!

Reaction Score
As a student, I rented a studio apartment in a very large house in the hills with a great view of the bay and a two block walk to the stadium. Saturdays, my then girlfriend (now wife of almost 38 years) and I would stroll down with our $1 student tickets. Good times and a welcome respite from the always important and exciting, but exhausting student activism of a few years before.
You saw the Joe Roth years?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think one of the strongest pitches that Geno can make to potential recruits (assuming that they have a goal to play basketball professionally, as most UConn recruits will have) is that nearly every recent player who was a starter in her senior year (unless obviously injured like Caroline Doty or Mel Thomas) has been drafted and has gotten a chance to play in the WNBA, and even players who never started regularly for UConn (Kiah Stokes, Ketia Swanier, and Ashley Battle) have been able to have multi-year careers. Is there ANY other program that can make that claim?

Because UConn is on television so much, players like Saniya Chong get looked at by WNBA scouts, and usually get drafted. Someone like Saniya might play 35 minutes per game for four years for a school like Pitt or Syracuse or Iowa State and never be drafted, simply because she would never be noticed or commented on, and her year-over-year development would not be minutely examined as Saniya's was. Kiah Stokes's game and her potential (great physical specimen with size and strength) and her shortcomings (slow motor, not motivated on offense) were noted constantly by the Doris Burkes of the world every time UConn was on ESPN, and all that attention probably got her drafted in the first round.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Ezi, however. She will probably be a lottery pick even if she plays her basketball inside a kangaroo pouch for the next four years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think one of the strongest pitches that Geno can make to potential recruits (assuming that they have a goal to play basketball professionally, as most UConn recruits will have) is that nearly every recent player who was a starter in her senior year (unless obviously injured like Caroline Doty or Mel Thomas) has been drafted and has gotten a chance to play in the WNBA, and even players who never started regularly for UConn (Kiah Stokes, Ketia Swanier, and Ashley Battle) have been able to have multi-year careers. Is there ANY other program that can make that claim?

Because UConn is on television so much, players like Saniya Chong get looked at by WNBA scouts, and usually get drafted. Someone like Saniya might play 35 minutes per game for four years for a school like Pitt or Syracuse or Iowa State and never be drafted, simply because she would never be noticed or commented on, and her year-over-year development would not be minutely examined as Saniya's was. Kiah Stokes's game and her potential (great physical specimen with size and strength) and her shortcomings (slow motor, not motivated on offense) were noted constantly by the Doris Burkes of the world every time UConn was on ESPN, and all that attention probably got her drafted in the first round.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Ezi, however. She will probably be a lottery pick even if she plays her basketball inside a kangaroo pouch for the next four years.

This passage from the New Englander posted the other day caught my eye, because we keep hearing stuff like this from WNBA GMs and coaches:

"Taking in practice this day is veteran WNBA coach Dan Hughes, who has just been hired to coach a Seattle Storm team that includes three former Auriemma players: Stewart, Sue Bird, and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

People who see Auriemma only as an acerbic coach who pushes his players’ buttons overlook the fact that he is “a master teacher,” says Hughes.

“When you build a team, you try to get players to give energy rather than take it,” says Hughes. “UConn players give you energy. I wish I had 10 of them.”

Wouldn't that be fun!

University of Connecticut Huskies Women's Basketball

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

It just amazes me how almost every thread that continues for pages will swerve into another thread entirely, usually by posters who want to compare their team's players/teams to UConn and end up just droning on and on...:rolleyes:

Now back to the OT - any new news on Ezi's choice??? Is she even back in her Homeland?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Tiffany Hayes has bounced around the league? Tiff has played for exactly one team during her WNBA career -- the Atlanta Dream. Tiffany has improved her game every year and was an WNBA All Star last season while average 16 ppg. She was recently invited to Team USA's camp.

Stef (not Steph) Dolson was also an WNBA All Star last season. She started every game she played in last season for the Chicago Sky. She averaged 29 mins/game and 14.5 points/game (2nd on the team). Does "personality" put up those sorts of numbers?

LMAO... you WON :) I couldn't have said it better myself... Thank you for making my month... I'll probably laugh all the way to the 12th championship :p

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I saw the post and got all frumpy indignant, and then reflected about the many here who are far more facile in knocking down such balderdash and ... there you are!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’m surprised that Aston didn’t see this coming even while recruiting her. The red lights were flashing all over.
Unfortunately in this case at least, Aston chose the "gather up talent, chemistry and attitude be d#@ned" approach. To Aston's credit few players see themselves as transcendental talents coming out of HS and are so embarrassed their first practice. I also predicted that once Holmes came off of suspension and onto the practice floor it would only get worse for her, since Holmes does just about everything better than Boothe. Plus Holmes has a better attitude.

If (when) Boothe leaves it's hard to see her playing for either Blair or Mulkey. TCU may be a good landing spot since they seem bereft of incoming.

Reaction Score
I think she would probably head back to FL if that were to happen.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

It would be churlish to call the remark quoted above, "Ignorant codswallop!"
so I'll just note that it is contrary to objective reality.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Unfortunately in this case at least, Aston chose the "gather up talent, chemistry and attitude be d#@ned" approach. To Aston's credit few players see themselves as transcendental talents coming out of HS and are so embarrassed their first practice. I also predicted that once Holmes came off of suspension and onto the practice floor it would only get worse for her, since Holmes does just about everything better than Boothe. Plus Holmes has a better attitude.

If (when) Boothe leaves it's hard to see her playing for either Blair or Mulkey. TCU may be a good landing spot since they seem bereft of incoming.
Or maybe ND where she can get the "sit out a year" waiver...

Are we ever going to get this thread back to being about Ezi???????? Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
yup and Chuck Muncie. A beautiful team to watch....So very, very sad about Joe Roth, who everyone apparently loved.
Watched on tv in San Diego. Spectacular college player, and really sad ending. Later Muncie played for the Chargers. Saw him there.

Reaction Score

What? Are you joking?

Montgomery is a little past her prime now but averaged over 12pts/game her first 5 seasons.
Dolson averaged 15 and 6 this past year.
Hayes has averaged double digits the past 5 years and this past year she averaged 16, 4, and 2.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Or maybe ND where she can get the "sit out a year" waiver...

Are we ever going to get this thread back to being about Ezi???????? Head bang
Until there's any real news about her commitment beyond us homer's speculating, why not go on tangents?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think she would probably head back to FL if that were to happen.
Yeah. Florida is a nice, soft landing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
As you point pout, there are several ways to get into the WNBA. But over the last few years, the one sure way to get into the WNBA was to start for and graduate from UConn WBB. Heck, UConn even gets their reserves into the WNBA, i.e. Kiah Stokes.
And players that only start for one year.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

With regards to Tiffany Hayes you know not of what you speak. Which makes me believe much of what you say is as incorrect.
upload_2018-3-1_19-18-16.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom