Ezi Macbegor, Rookie of the Year | The Boneyard

Ezi Macbegor, Rookie of the Year

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

You may recall that Ezi is being recruited by UConn as part of the class of 2018. She was just selected as the ROY in her Aussie league. She played with pros as an amateur to maintain her amateur status.

I hope we see her at a game in the next 8 weeks.

Reaction Score

You may recall that Ezi is being recruited by UConn as part of the class of 2018. She was just selected as the ROY in her Aussie league. She played with pros as an amateur to maintain her amateur status.

Sounds like a possibility of an Aussie in the Canadian mold?? If so she's our kinda kid.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think she's going to be special. She's the future of Australian women's basketball. I think she could be as good for them as Lauren Jackson was. I'd love to see her in national flag blue and white...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think she could be as good for them as Lauren Jackson was.

That's setting the bar really, really high. Jackson was on a really short list for best player in the world for much of her career.

Although she was from New Zealand, I remember some tried to compare Jess McCormack to LJ. That was completely unfair and unwarranted. Maybe Ezi really is that good, but that's a huge expectation to live up to.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's setting the bar really, really high. Jackson was on a really short list for best player in the world for much of her career.

Although she was from New Zealand, I remember some tried to compare Jess McCormack to LJ. That was completely unfair and unwarranted. Maybe Ezi really is that good, but that's a huge expectation to live up to.

I'm not sure who compared McCormack to LJ but that's just crazy.

The comparisons to LJ are coming from Australia and I agree those expectations are probably unfair to Ezi. There was a period of time when I thought LJ was the best player in the world. Although they are both post players LJ's offensive game was much more polished at a comparable age. Still, the ceiling is very high for Ezi if she keeps working hard and I have no doubt she will.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who compared McCormack to LJ but that's just crazy.

I can't even remember where I heard it, but I definitely heard it. Might have been Seattle media. McCormarck was originally at UW and of course LJ was playing for the Storm. The only similarity was their height, long blond hair and being from island nations in the southern hemisphere. As basketball players there was zero similarity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi was the MVP in the FIBA U-17 World Championship tournament in Spain, as Australia won the gold medal. That was a worldwide tournament that included the U.S.A. She outplayed the Americans in head-to-head competition. Ezi appears to be the future of Australian basketball and has a substantial ceiling. She may be as good as anyone in the class of 2018.

Reaction Score
the silence on her future plans is deafening...............I assume she has till this summer to make up her mind on playing college ball ...........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
the silence on her future plans is deafening.....I assume she has till this summer to make up her mind on playing college ball ......
Probably until late August--or the beginning of the UConn summer session in May. :)

Reaction Score
Probably until late August--or the beginning of the UConn summer session in May. :)

well UConn has an extra scholarship to hand out and I'm not aware of any other '18 recruits.................come on over kiddo!!!!!

Reaction Score
well UConn has an extra scholarship to hand out and I'm not aware of any other '18 recruits.......come on over kiddo!!!!!
Just a thought. Would she come in as a frosh? I could see her wanting to come in to a "finishing school" for 2 years but not 3-4. Big money would be available and not sure winning multiple US national championships would have as much intrigue as for most UConn recruits. Would love to be able to have this conversation after watching her play 2 years in Conn.

Reaction Score
With her experience she might find it hard to think of getting limited minutes her first year in college. How would she slot in at UConn?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
With her experience she might find it hard to think of getting limited minutes her first year in college. How would she slot in at UConn?

In the video she speaks of having to make the adjustment coming off the bench after being a starter in HS & the national junior team(s?)...

And, she's always welcome to earn a starter's spot -- even as a frosh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi is already 18 and could leave college for the WNBA in 2021. I hope she stays 4 years, but first I hope she comes to UConn.

Reaction Score

What kind of league is this? Is the WNBL a pro league? Is she simply retaining amateur status by not taking a salary? And at the end of the interview, she talks about playing for another team other than Canberra. Anyone know what the system is down there, and what her progression might be?

Reaction Score
WNBL (Womens National Basketball League) is the top league in Australia. It is a professional league and you do get paid to play unless you choose not too.
Ezi was not paid and is eligible for the NCAA.

The new team she has signed for (Diamond Valley) is apart of the SEABL (South Eastern Australian Basketball League) which is a step below the WNBL.

Several semi -pro leagues around Australia that sit under the WNBL.

SEABL - South East Australian Basketball League(VIC, TAS, ACT, NSW)
BIG V- Victorian Baskeball League (VIC)
QBL - Queensland Baskeball League(QLD)
Waratah league - New South Wales Basketball League(NSW)
Premier League - South Australian Baskeball League(SA)
WABL -Western Australian Basketball League(WA)

Junior Rep leagues in each state and territory sit under these. Players u21 y.o.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What kind of league is this? Is the WNBL a pro league? Is she simply retaining amateur status by not taking a salary? And at the end of the interview, she talks about playing for another team other than Canberra. Anyone know what the system is down there, and what her progression might be?
Some answers: Yes, it's a pro league. Yes, she is not taking a salary, so she retains her amateur status.

Here's some info on the league and Aussie basketball:

Women's National Basketball League - Wikipedia

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
WNBL is an Australian professional league that includes several current and former WNBA players like Mistie Bass and Liz Cambage. Ezi has retained her amateur status. I'm not sure what you mean by progression, this is her first year in the WNBL and she is RoY. Were Ezi American she would be #1 in the 2018 HS class.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Given her current and past success in Australia, I just don’t see her coming to UConn to play, even for Geno unless an LJ, who is very close to Sue Bird, whispers into Ezi’s ear about the opportunity to test herself and ascribe to being the best possible player she could. Sometimes that doesn’t resonate. I have my fingers crossed but call me “Doubting Thomas” (it’s at this juncture I expect Bags to fill us in on who and what Doubting Thomas means and stood for!) :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Given her current and past success in Australia, I just don’t see her coming to UConn to play, even for Geno unless an LJ, who is very close to Sue Bird, whispers into Ezi’s ear about the opportunity to test herself and ascribe to being the best possible player she could. Sometimes that doesn’t resonate. I have my fingers crossed but call me “Doubting Thomas” (it’s at this juncture I expect Bags to fill us in on who and what Doubting Thomas means and stood for!) :)
But if Lauren Jackson AND Penny Taylor whisper in her ear .... ;)

Reaction Score
:)
well, without getting into religious belief systems, he's the disciple who initially doubted Jesus's resurrection, but was later convinced when he (apparently--interpretation is debated) felt Jesus's crucifixion wounds. I'm hoping, DefenseBB, that you won't actual have to do the "feel" test! :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
:)
well, without getting into religious belief systems, he's the disciple who initially doubted Jesus's resurrection, but was later convinced when he (apparently--interpretation is debated) felt Jesus's crucifixion wounds. I'm hoping, DefenseBB, that you won't actual have to do the "feel" test! :)

The Score and the assist weren't as pretty as Gabby to KLS last night but Bags slammed it home for 2 points and maybe a highlight on SportsCenter-dat dat dat, dat dat dat!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom