Eye Opening Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Eye Opening Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that. I was just reacting to someone who seemed to be implying that UConn would never do what North Carolina did. I agree that it is universal, or nearly universal and it is disgusting.

If UConn was doing it, how do you explain the low APR?

Reaction Score
Well, truth be told if your degree is in sociology, african american studies, political science or many other liberal arts disciplines it often leads to a career as a barber. Or a barista.
I have a buddy who is 24 ('11 grad) who has a bachelors in Poli Sci and the Hartford pays him 80k to trade municipal bonds. To be fair he also has a master's in public administration

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
AJ McCarron's mom agrees with you.
I don't know whether or not your comment was sarcastic, but the entire time I was reading this article as well as these posts I was thinking about what she said about Jameis Winston. I know she was bitter that he won the Heisman over her son, but was she wrong?? A lot of athletes in "money making sports" don't sound like they're speaking English... at least not a dialect that the average college student speaks.

Reaction Score
I don't know whether or not your comment was sarcastic, but the entire time I was reading this article as well as these posts I was thinking about what she said about Jameis Winston. I know she was bitter that he won the Heisman over her son, but was she wrong?? A lot of athletes in "money making sports" don't sound like they're speaking English... at least not a dialect that the average college student speaks.

What's the big deal? This kid doesn't sound like he's speaking English to you? First of all, he's from Hicksville, Alabama. Second, he's a 20 year old kid who just won a national championship being interviewed on national television. I had no problem understanding what he said. I feel gross even responding to your post.

Reaction Score
As for Winston all he needs to know is how to count, invest and save money. Oh and say "I'm Rich Bitch!"

His future earnings will be a lot more than PHDer's with 'perfect english'. Nothing better than making huge amounts of money doing what you love doing. Its the perfect career.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the blame falls on the athlete more than anyone else. They chose not to learn anything in high school because they'll get a college scholarship.
who learns to read in high s cchool?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree the NCAA sucks. They ignore big problems and make a stink about who paid for someone's sneakers when they were 13.
I think PSU was a big thing they ignored. It had nothing to do with competive edge? Neither do a lot of things. They are supposed to maintain integrity of the game.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, truth be told if your degree is in sociology, african american studies, political science or many other liberal arts disciplines it often leads to a career as a barber. Or a barista.

But not a good barista. There's science involved in that.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score

What's the big deal? This kid doesn't sound like he's speaking English to you? First of all, he's from Hicksville, Alabama. Second, he's a 20 year old kid who just won a national championship being interviewed on national television. I had no problem understanding what he said. I feel gross even responding to your post.

I didn't say you couldn't understand him, I said that he wasn't speaking as you would expect the average college student would. And given the fact that the reading, writing, etc of the "money making" collegiate student athletes is the meat and potatoes of the article; I don't see why you're so offended. And please don't pretend like this was the only time he spoke in public and sounded like this. I'm not saying he's the only one. I'm not even making fun of him, I'm just pointing out something all of us saw and heard. And if we're adding self-righteous one-liners to the end of our posts now, I feel perplexed that I have to defend my comment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But that gets to what has become the bastardization of the college experience. It never was designed to be career training. The original intent was to provide well educated people who could ultimately perform in many different careers. Universities should provide a more broad-based "classical" education.

Yes, that was the intent in most cases, when the people attending college were few, and were already the well to do, the landed gentry if you will. However, it did always include aspects of career training for some disciplines (my grandfather graduated from what became K-State with an agricultural degree). It is a mission that is woefully out of date given the high level of attendance today and the much more specific requirements of modern employers. The current liberal arts degree is as close to a waste of $100-200k as is imaginable for any young person seeking employment. Such a grad may find a job, but it won't be because of the degree (unless he or she has excellent grades at a top level school).

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hey! My psychology degree has done me pretty well (after adding a masters. I think a few math majors, biology majors, etc have found work too. Liberal arts isn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom