Extremely Proud of These Boys | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Extremely Proud of These Boys

Reaction Score
One thing for sure: there wasn't any glamor in this. When you spend your week preparing for a game in which you can only avoid embarrassment, still reeling from the effects of jet lag and disrupted sleep, and whatever air gleaned from the novelty of playing D-1 college football all the way out of the balloon, I become pretty certain that you're playing for the right reasons.

And that's probably all you can ask for when it comes to a rebuilding project of this magnitude. Everyone seems committed for the long haul, even if it means putting your ego aside and taking satisfaction in beating Rhode Island. No shame in that - certainly makes them easy to root for moving forward.

Reaction Score
Out muscled on D. Probably all year. Just nowhere near physically mature yet. Saw some of Hahn, Sterling and Swenson in together. Hahn for his listed weight looks slight. Also saw them shift KJones over to where they thought the point of attack was coming leaving Hahn in the middle. So Beavers? and Thomas for outside rush.

Reaction Score
We got a sack with a linebacker who had to lineup as a DE because of our inept defensive line.
Edsall mentioned that we put in pass rushing packages during the week, so it's nice to see that one of the adjustments they made worked. nothing wrong with having a nascar package

Reaction Score
Who was the player that ran down URI's QB and punched the ball out near the goal line? Was almost a touchback. What a heads-up play and the kind of never quit play that should be shown to everyone on defense for the rest of the season. We're overmatched on D right now but this is the kind of stuff you can build upon. Baby steps.
Glad he hustled since he’s the one he got burned in the play

Reaction Score
One thing for sure: there wasn't any glamor in this. When you spend your week preparing for a game in which you can only avoid embarrassment, still reeling from the effects of jet lag and disrupted sleep, and whatever air gleaned from the novelty of playing D-1 college football all the way out of the balloon, I become pretty certain that you're playing for the right reasons.

And that's probably all you can ask for when it comes to a rebuilding project of this magnitude. Everyone seems committed for the long haul, even if it means putting your ego aside and taking satisfaction in beating Rhode Island. No shame in that - certainly makes them easy to root for moving forward.
Sylvester Croom had a speech for his players when he took over Mississsippi State after they got killed by sanctions. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something to the effect that the players here today won't reap the glory of all the work they put in. It's going to be the kids after them, and the kids after them, that benefit from what they're building. they may not win much now, but future players will remember them as the team that started building the program back from nothing.

I think it's a very apt comparison for what we're dealing with from the PP and Diaco years

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm happy for the kids.

I don't think there will be many more wins the rest of the year, but I think a loss today would have been completely demoralizing.

I'm just hoping that after we get through the stretch of Cuse, Cincinnati, Memphis, and USF that were still together as a team and can try and fight for a few more wins against the rest of our schedule.

Reaction Score
Out muscled on D. Probably all year. Just nowhere near physically mature yet. Saw some of Hahn, Sterling and Swenson in together. Hahn for his listed weight looks slight. Also saw them shift KJones over to where they thought the point of attack was coming leaving Hahn in the middle. So Beavers? and Thomas for outside rush.

Probably? LOL DI. It's URI. I just finished watching the recording a little while ago. I don't know anybody's names, and don't care yet. The nose tackle in the middle in the best player on D, and I think I true freshmen. Typical Edsall. I bet he hand picked that kid.

I just don't understand how they teach tackling these days though. Oh well. As long as we beat URI and UMass, it isn't a total clustr - never mind, I keep getting banned for swearing.

Reaction Score
Probably? LOL DI. It's URI. I just finished watching the recording a little while ago. I don't know anybody's names, and don't care yet. The nose tackle in the middle in the best player on D, and I think I true freshmen. Typical Edsall. I bet he hand picked that kid.

I just don't understand how they teach tackling these days though. Oh well. As long as we beat URI and UMass, it isn't a total clustr - never mind, I keep getting banned for swearing.
Yeah, whats up that? They all need to be playing with at least a year under their belt. They actually played younger vs URI. We played with LBs 245 259 230 across the back of the DL now...We had a history of good DEs. As far as tackling, the DC came from a successful D, I imagine they taught tackling there. This year needs to be the bottom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, whats up that?

You play the way you practice. Rules changes? Safety concerns? Injury concerns w roster depth? No roster depth? All of the above?

I get that high scoring affairs are good entertainment but you got to be able to make a stop. Cant rely on a coin flip all the time for possession. They needed the stop in this game.

Against URI.

Going to be a challenge to keep the players focused and positive and find little wins, but if the DLine players can be developed and are capable of playing AAC conference level, there is some faint pulse of hope for the future to build a D.

Need to start poking through all the high school track and field results again for players tho.

Reaction Score
You play the way you practice. Rules changes? Safety concerns? Injury concerns w roster depth? No roster depth? All of the above?

I get that high scoring affairs are good entertainment but you got to be able to make a stop. Cant rely on a coin flip all the time for possession. They needed the stop in this game.

Against URI.

Going to be a challenge to keep the players focused and positive and find little wins, but if the DLine players can be developed and are capable of playing AAC conference level, there is some faint pulse of hope for the future to build a D.

Need to start poking through all the high school track and field results again for players tho.
I was asking about your propensity of getting banned. Lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom