Extremely Proud of These Boys | The Boneyard

Extremely Proud of These Boys

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We aren’t a talented team, and I think that today’s game clearly shows us what our expectations should be. URI sliced our defense all day, and while our offense was roaring, we were slowed down by a couple of bad turnovers in the red zone late.

But that’s really besides the point. Today a team of mostly young and overmatched players got their first college win, and put all they had out on the field. Eli Thomas should have never been able to play again after his injuries, yet he defied the odds and wins the game with us for two key rushes late. Mensah sat out the spring game because of academics, gets his affairs in order and then provided a huge game. We may not win again this year, but I’m proud of our guys.

Reaction Score
Yeah. They averted an absolute disaster today. Crocker's reaction speaks to the pressure they feel. They know what's being said.

I'm hoping for incremental improvement. I do think they need to dial up pressure big time even though I know we will get burned, because were not good enough to keep things in front of us and make sure tackles. Randy's preferred method of play, is just a non starter with this crew.

Reaction Score
We aren’t a talented team, and I think that today’s game clearly shows us what our expectations should be. URI sliced our defense all day, and while our offense was roaring, we were slowed down by a couple of bad turnovers in the red zone late.

But that’s really besides the point. Today a team of mostly young and overmatched players got their first college win, and put all they had out on the field. Eli Thomas should have never been able to play again after his injuries, yet he defied the odds and wins the game with us for two key rushes late. Mensah sat out the spring game because of academics, gets his affairs in order and then provided a huge game. We may not win again this year, but I’m proud of our guys.
Hear hear!!

Reaction Score
Yeah. They averted an absolute disaster today. Crocker's reaction speaks to the pressure they feel. They know what's being said.

I'm hoping for incremental improvement. I do think they need to dial up pressure big time even though I know we will get burned, because were not good enough to keep things in front of us and make sure tackles. Randy's preferred method of play, is just a non starter with this crew.
They blitzed a ton today. We don’t have anybody who can get to the quarterback.

Reaction Score
They blitzed a ton today. We don’t have anybody who can get to the quarterback.
The few times we forced punts the QB threw the ball early for incompletes. They got a few sacks. When we try to rush the 4 linemen only its like a scrimmage. Beavers did get some pressure late on the obvious passing downs.

Reaction Score
The few times we forced punts the QB threw the ball early for incompletes. They got a few sacks. When we try to rush the 4 linemen only its like a scrimmage. Beavers did get some pressure late on the obvious passing downs.
Yep. The 3rd quarter was especially atrocious with a 4 man rush. I know they’re young, but how do you not get any pressure at all?

Reaction Score
Not impressive....Capt Obvious....having said that, I happy for the kids who have worked their tails off and finally get to taste a victory. So far, the team has not progressed nearly as much as I hoped. It's real easy to forget how hard it is to turn around a D1 program. I know it happens(UCF), but those are few and far between. You are either in it for the long haul, or your out. Probably 2 years before we see significant improvement.

Reaction Score
Yep. The 3rd quarter was especially atrocious with a 4 man rush. I know they’re young, but how do you not get any pressure at all?
They just can't get off their blocks. That's why they have to send a minimum of 5 most plays. I guess it doesn't really matter this year as far as results but we get shredded when we send 4. No prayer.

More concerning is how easy our LBs are washed out on running plays. They cannot fight off blocks to disrupt plays. Its ugly all around but today at least, hats off to them for what they did accomplish.

Reaction Score

This game was basically a scrimmage against UCONN'S freshman team. I'm proud of our freshman, they learned a lot today and sacked the QB on the last play of the game.

Reaction Score
They just can't get off their blocks. That's why they have to send a minimum of 5 most plays. I guess it doesn't really matter this year as far as results but we get shredded when we send 4. No prayer.

More concerning is how easy our LBs are washed out on running plays. They cannot fight off blocks to disrupt plays. Its ugly all around but today at least, hats off to them for what they did accomplish.
It speaks volumes about how slow the D line is when Eli Thomas goes in and immediately sacks the quarterback.

Whatever, we got a win. That’s all I hoped for. Happy they got it done.

Reaction Score
First learning experience of the season. Would been great a couple weeks ago.

Reaction Score

Hahn is just horrendous... zero instinct, out of position, can’t handle blockers, can’t cover. He shouldn’t be on the field. Eli Thomas made some nice plays and Kevon is going to be a beast.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At no point did the players appear to quit on the team.

There were a few times where players seemed to quit on plays on the field. On one of the TD runs by URI a UConn player checked up at the 5 yard line and just let the guy run past him.

It's cliche', but teams need to learn how to win. The last 6 minutes of the game were a lesson on how to finish a close game. At that point it doesn't matter if you were supposed to win by a bunch or lose by a bunch. You are in an alley fight and someone is going to win. Today it was the Pups.

Makes watching the rest of these games today much more relaxing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There were a few times where players seemed to quit on plays on the field. On one of the TD runs by URI a UConn player checked up at the 5 yard line and just let the guy run past him.
Because he had already stepped out of bounds.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
At no point did the players appear to quit on the team.

It's cliche', but teams need to learn how to win. The last 6 minutes of the game were a lesson on how to finish a close game. At that point it doesn't matter if you were supposed to win by a bunch or lose by a bunch. You are in an alley fight and someone is going to win. Today it was the Pups.

Makes watching the rest of these games today much more relaxing.
Few things better than sitting back and watching on a Saturday evening with a W already secured.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Considering there was no whistle and the play was called a TD on the field, I'm hoping the player didn't unilaterally decide the play was over and check up. Should have been a hit there.
Don't disagree but I do think he pulled up because he was out, not because he quit, but yeah, play the whistle.

Reaction Score
The offense was very good today save for a few sloppy turnovers. They scored 8 touchdowns. Pindell is so important to this offense it's scary.

The defense - well we found out that it wasn't just UCF and Boise's level of talent. This D has serious problems stopping anything at all. But at least they stepped up at the end and held the fort. Was very relieved for them that they held on. Best we can hope for is they continue to work and improve - get to a point where they're competent enough to make some stands and maybe we get a couple more Ws this season.

I think the crowd helped them at the end - they were into it. Props to all.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

One thing I noticed is that compared to the past two weeks, when plays like this happened, the same guys making these mistakes were starting to do more things on the other side of the ledger as well. O'Neil Robinson is the player you're thinking of here, and in addition to that nice pick he had early on, it seemed like he was the best of all the DBs at actually bringing down the guys he laid his hands on. Lucien got burned pretty badly, but also had a couple of key pass breakups.

It's not anywhere close to where we need to be, but baby steps.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Who was the player that ran down URI's QB and punched the ball out near the goal line? Was almost a touchback. What a heads-up play and the kind of never quit play that should be shown to everyone on defense for the rest of the season. We're overmatched on D right now but this is the kind of stuff you can build upon. Baby steps.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who was the player that ran down URI's QB and punched the ball out near the goal line? Was almost a touchback. What a heads-up play and the kind of never quit play that should be shown to everyone on defense for the rest of the season. We're overmatched on D right now but this is the kind of stuff you can build upon. Baby steps.

Tyler Coyle.

Reaction Score
Maybe Beavers would get some pressure on the QB if he didn't take himself out of every play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom