Extra Year of Eligibility? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Extra Year of Eligibility?

Reaction Score
I think the extra year will really help the middle and lower tier teams a lot. The upper tier teams' players are good enough to turn pro either here or overseas after their 4 years and will probably do so and this should be the case for the next 4 years.
Maybe. But a lot of those seniors are taking their extra year and grad transferring.

Reaction Score
If UConn were to win the title this year and the four succeeding years, some of the freshmen would likely be tempted to take a fifth year and a Master's degree and be the only playersl, probably ever, l to win five national titles.

It would be really joyous if that person was Autumn. She would have a unique spot in history.
Except Autumn does not have a scholarship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The extra year of eligibility for anyone who wants it will take 4 years to completely flush through the system. Some players will head to the pros. Some will get on with their lives. But undoubtedly some will stick around for another year.

Not all schools will want all players to stay another year, so the transfer portal will be loaded with immediately eligible players. While current players will benefit from the additional year, kids coming out of HS will get a pretty raw deal in many instances, losing PT to older players who normally would have used up their eligibility.

Reaction Score
This may not be all of it....but it is some of it.
All current frosh on the team have 4 more years of athletic eligibility after this year is over.
How many frosh around the country take advantage of this is another matter.
Basically the NCAA months ago said that this year does not count as a year of eligibility. So all current freshmen will still have four years of eligibility left, current sophomores will still have three more years left, etc.

Reaction Score
Except Autumn does not have a scholarship.
Does she need one? Haven't some of the other walk-on players gotten scholarships eventually? Anyway, it was just an amusing thought.

Reaction Score
Does she need one? Haven't some of the other walk-on players gotten scholarships eventually? Anyway, it was just an amusing thought.

She doesn't need a scholarship - ever - to be allowed to play five years. It's up to her and Geno.

Reaction Score
No she doesn't need one. But the incentives to stay a 5th year are a lot higher if it's free. If not, she might as be a grad assistant. At least then she'd get paid.

Reaction Score
No she doesn't need one. But the incentives to stay a 5th year are a lot higher if it's free. If not, she might as be a grad assistant. At least then she'd get paid.

The only "pay" as a grad assistant is the cost of tuition, room, and board. Not bad if a player really wants the grad degree and/or the coaching experience.

Reaction Score
The only "pay" as a grad assistant is the cost of tuition, room, and board. Not bad if a player really wants the grad degree and/or the coaching experience.
There was some speculation that Autumn may be receiving some academic scholarship assistance, but since this is a private matter, who knows? I haven't done any Autumn research, but it's my understanding that the kid is bright, maybe bright enough for some partial scholarship. Anyone have better Autumn background?

Reaction Score
I think the athletes who will take advantage of the extra year are more likely the ones who are possibly not going to have a professional career afterwards, and instead might be better served undertaking a masters programme and getting the best education they can. Not just with UConn basketball but I think we will see that across many sport’s and many universities. Makes it tough for recruiting as you now aren’t really sure who will stay and who would go and so you aren’t sure who or how many to bring in if you aren’t sure how many are leaving etc. I wouldn’t expect CW, ONO, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika etc to take advantage of it but perhaps Autumn and Piath would.
Generally agree with the above. After so much school, most that age are looking to move on, start their careers, prove themselves in the real world. If you were going for a masters in a specialized field it might make sense but would have to fit into the coaches plans as well. In a another sense, the team pipeline gets backed up some. If a team has a good chance at high finishes and is missing a key piece this option might be important. A serious fifth year player might be a good candidate for a transfer to a strong educational opportunity as well.

Reaction Score
I think the athletes who will take advantage of the extra year are more likely the ones who are possibly not going to have a professional career afterwards, and instead might be better served undertaking a masters programme and getting the best education they can. Not just with UConn basketball but I think we will see that across many sport’s and many universities. Makes it tough for recruiting as you now aren’t really sure who will stay and who would go and so you aren’t sure who or how many to bring in if you aren’t sure how many are leaving etc. I wouldn’t expect CW, ONO, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika etc to take advantage of it but perhaps Autumn and Piath would.
Agree completely, but wanted to add that in general, this rule will potentially help the mediocre teams more than the great ones. The great teams might get an end of rotation player coming back, the mediocre teams could get their best player returning, but regardless most will be players that wanted to pursue a masters degree anyway.

Reaction Score
errrr, Robert Burns was Scottish; and, widely regarded as the National Poet of Scotland.

It goes like this:

View attachment 66128

Sorry for the correction; I'm Irish :)
I’ve been reminded that the title of John Steinbeck’s great novel, “Of Mice and Men” has been taken from this Burns poem. And Bob Dylan, when asked what was his greatest source of inspiration, stated that it was Burns’ song “A Red, Red Rose.” See Robert Burns - Wikipedia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom