Extra Year of Eligibility? | The Boneyard

Extra Year of Eligibility?

Reaction Score
Geno had spoken about an extra year of eligibility for many players because of Covid. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This may not be all of it....but it is some of it.
All current frosh on the team have 4 more years of athletic eligibility after this year is over.
How many frosh around the country take advantage of this is another matter.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is allowing it but haven't heard if anyone in particular is taking advantage of it. I think players who can turn pro ..will.

Reaction Score
I think I heard during the BE Finals that an announcer said that she had talked with Marquette's Megan Duffy who said she didn't know if Lott and Van Kleunen would take advantage of the extra year of athletic eligibility.

Reaction Score
Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu could have left after 3 years as the #1 pick in the WNBA. She chose not to because she thought the Ducks could win the NC last year. That went out the window when the tournament was shut down.
At the time the Divine One chose to stay, I thought she made a mistake for two reasons. First, she was giving up a paycheck, second, she might have been injured and lost or delayed the chance to play in the W. (She was injured, but not until she was drafted.)
So, as Robert Burns wrote: "The best laid plans o' mice and men aft gang astray."
I should note also that Morgan Tuck could have stayed another year at UConn but chose to go pro because her knee was iffy, and she didn't know how long she'd be able to play. That workedout pretty well. She got a bit of a run, hopefully made some moolah, and just retired.
I do fanaticize about a full 4 years of Paige and Azzi . . .

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The NCAA is allowing it but haven't heard if anyone in particular is taking advantage of it. I think players who can turn pro ..will.
Plus some folks are just "done" with college - time to move on - for one reason or another. And facing a 5th year in a couple of years (as current underclassmen will) many will likewise pass on staying in college. Others of course will transfer and continue their education.

I am sure some will take advantage of it. In softball here at Arizona, all last year's (some very talented) seniors took advantage, supposedly making us a "favorite" which we may be but it hasn't been smooth sailing, losing 3 of 4 games with ranked teams on a recent Florida trip. So arguably, players who stay an extra year (particularly the current upper classmen) may create a short term bounce, but nothing is guaranteed.

The easiest way to consider it, is that for eligibility, it is as though this year never happened.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno had spoken about an extra year of eligibility for many players because of Covid. Has anyone heard anything about this?
This may not be all of it....but it is some of it.
All current frosh on the team have 4 more years of athletic eligibility after this year is over.
How many frosh around the country take advantage of this is another matter.
This year is a "freebie", effectively -- it doesn't count against anyone's four years of play or five-year clock, and that's regardless of player classification.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is not just the freshman, any player who played this year, it does not count as an official year of eligibility. For example: Desiree Elmore a senior at Seton Hall has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer - she'll get a year of a masters program paid for. AEH who just transfer into Seton Hall could also seek another year there or elsewhere if she chose. (Actually just checked their site and Elmore is no longer listed, and AEH is listed as a grad student already.

Reaction Score
It is not just the freshman, any player who played this year, it does not count as an official year of eligibility. For example: Desiree Elmore a senior at Seton Hall has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer - she'll get a year of a masters program paid for. AEH who just transfer into Seton Hall could also seek another year there or elsewhere if she chose. (Actually just checked their site and Elmore is no longer listed, and AEH is listed as a grad student already.
So she can start a Doctorate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu could have left after 3 years as the #1 pick in the WNBA. She chose not to because she thought the Ducks could win the NC last year. That went out the window when the tournament was shut down.
At the time the Divine One chose to stay, I thought she made a mistake for two reasons. First, she was giving up a paycheck, second, she might have been injured and lost or delayed the chance to play in the W. (She was injured, but not until she was drafted.)
So, as Robert Burns wrote: "The best laid plans o' mice and men aft gang astray."
I should note also that Morgan Tuck could have stayed another year at UConn but chose to go pro because her knee was iffy, and she didn't know how long she'd be able to play. That workedout pretty well. She got a bit of a run, hopefully made some moolah, and just retired.
I do fanaticize about a full 4 years of Paige and Azzi . . .
"Gang aft agley".

Reaction Score
Does that mean that Ono and Williams will be Juniors again, and the Sophs will still be Sophs, next year?

Reaction Score
"Gang aft agley".
You're right. I changed it to the more conventional "astray" and changed the word order so it would make sense to those not familiar with Scottish idioms. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the athletes who will take advantage of the extra year are more likely the ones who are possibly not going to have a professional career afterwards, and instead might be better served undertaking a masters programme and getting the best education they can. Not just with UConn basketball but I think we will see that across many sport’s and many universities. Makes it tough for recruiting as you now aren’t really sure who will stay and who would go and so you aren’t sure who or how many to bring in if you aren’t sure how many are leaving etc. I wouldn’t expect CW, ONO, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika etc to take advantage of it but perhaps Autumn and Piath would.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Does that mean that Ono and Williams will be Juniors again, and the Sophs will still be Sophs, next year?
Not classified as juniors but both will have two years of eligibility left. Again it’s like this year never happened when it comes to any eligibility considerations.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
You're right. I changed it to the more conventional "astray" and changed the word order so it would make sense to those not familiar with Irish brough. Thanks.

errrr, Robert Burns was Scottish; and, widely regarded as the National Poet of Scotland.

It goes like this:

1616343010611.png

Sorry for the correction; I'm Irish :)

Reaction Score
I think the extra year will really help the middle and lower tier teams a lot. The upper tier teams' players are good enough to turn pro either here or overseas after their 4 years and will probably do so and this should be the case for the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
errrr, Robert Burns was Scottish; and, widely regarded as the National Poet of Scotland.

It goes like this:

View attachment 66128

Sorry for the correction; I'm Irish :)
Gads, this is my day to screw up. Imagine calling Burns an Irishman! I am mortified. I could say this is more evidence of encroaching senility, but I will not cop out with that tired excuse.

Reaction Score
If UConn were to win the title this year and the four succeeding years, some of the freshmen would likely be tempted to take a fifth year and a Master's degree and be the only playersl, probably ever, l to win five national titles.

It would be really joyous if that person was Autumn. She would have a unique spot in history.

Reaction Score
Gads, this is my day to screw up. Imagine calling Burns an Irishman! I am mortified. I could say this is more evidence of encroaching senility, but I will not cop out with that tired excuse.
What was your excuse again?

Reaction Score
I think the athletes who will take advantage of the extra year are more likely the ones who are possibly not going to have a professional career afterwards, and instead might be better served undertaking a masters programme and getting the best education they can. Not just with UConn basketball but I think we will see that across many sport’s and many universities. Makes it tough for recruiting as you now aren’t really sure who will stay and who would go and so you aren’t sure who or how many to bring in if you aren’t sure how many are leaving etc. I wouldn’t expect CW, ONO, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika etc to take advantage of it but perhaps Autumn and Piath would.
No question that solid players without pro aspirations will jump at the chance of getting a free year of postgrad study. It’s the GI Bill for athletes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think coaches would not get too much flak for telling players that want to play a fifth year that they need to enter the portal as a grad xfer if they have too many. A scholarship offer is technically renewed every year, and was certainly given and planned as a 4 year commitment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom