Extra scholarships - bank them. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Extra scholarships - bank them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Drummond goes, and he's going, UConn's going to have three rides to hand out in this class.

Given the post-season ban, we're really not in play for a major prospect.

In the past, Calhoun has shown that he is not inclined to leave a scholarship open. I'm not going to second guess a dude who has filled up the rafters with felt banners, but I think he's going to have to consider locking down and leaving some rides open this year.

The desire to fill up spots with reaches has caused the APR pain to some extent and more often than not, these reaches end up transferring. For every Gavin Edwards or Donnell Beverly, there are two or three players who wash out - Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith, Antonio Kellogg, Rob Garrison, Ryan Thompson, Chad Wise, etc.

I think the RJ Evans addition would be a good one - good chemistry guy, experience, size in the backcourt, etc. If there's a promising transfer out there, (the post-season ban shouldn't concern a traditional transfer prospect), pursue it.

But leave the three-star reaches alone for the year and bank the rides if we must.

The front court will be thin next year, but so what? Tyler, Wolf, Bradley, Roscoe and DeAndre will do - we get out of them whatever we get out of them.

The program is obviously about to enter a transition. Calhoun will retire in the next two years and UConn will be bringing a new practice facility on-line - I'd rather see Calhoun or whoever the coach is in two years have some roster flexibility than to see some marginal depth brought in for next year's lost season.

Plus, we don't need to see any more transferring than we have already.
It is the transferring part that kills us. I could see maybe signing 1 Juco big man because right now we are thin in the frontcourt but JC should pass on filling ships on projects simply because ships are are available.We may not have our current problems if we passed on the stretch players.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is the transferring part that kills us. I could see maybe signing 1 Juco big man because right now we are thin in the frontcourt but JC should pass on filling ships on projects simply because ships are are available.We may not have our current problems if we passed on the stretch players.

I think most everyone is in agreement on this. The transfers are killing us.

I would like 1 more frosh, but we shouldn't stretch. I had thought that Wolf and/or Giffey would leave once they determined they were not going to be NBA players, but if they have made it this far, they probably tough it out. Wolf in particular may just want the degree at this point, because he probably isn't playing professionally anywhere he would actually want to play. Wolf or Bradley have to step up next year, because we will need frontcourt help for Olander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom