Explain to me why we didn’t bring in another point guard??? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Explain to me why we didn’t bring in another point guard???

Reaction Score
In earlier cupcake games I think people were fooled into thinking Gaffney could be counted on versus good competition. To me, he looks like the same guy we’ve seen the previous two seasons. He doesn’t have the handle or quick first step to be relied on for many minutes at PG. Our best teams have always had two guards who can handle the ball, Martin at the two is far from ideal. I agree that Diggins needs to be a major factor for us to have any real aspirations this season.
And remember too- Gaffney got a tremendous amount of experience as a freshman(never would’ve received that much time normally ) when AG was going through his troubles as well as a ton of time last year as a sophomore. Even though people want to say it’s “only” early in his junior year , gaff has received plenty of minutes past 2 years. I’m afraid it is what it is at this point. I’ll say it again , can I just see Diggins for 3-4 games then I’ll stop talking about it. Lol.

Reaction Score
Cole had the highest efficiency rating on the team against CCSU and was higher than Gaffney and his 1:1 A/TO ratio in the LIU game. Cole had an off night against Binghamton, that is it. That is the only game you can definitely say Gaffney looked better.

K

Reaction Score
Gaffney is what he is, and not the reason UConn lost to MSU or struggled with a mediocre A10 team. Gaffney is good enough to be a piece of a team that beats MSU and Auburn by 5-10 points and VCU by 15+ points.
Say what now?? We didn’t beat MSU and we didn’t beat VCU by 15+ points.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Say what now?? We didn’t beat MSU and we didn’t beat VCU by 15+ points.

Exactly. And it isn’t Gaffney’s fault. UConn has second weekend talent. Let’s see what the staff can do with it.

Reaction Score
I did see that, pretty wild metrics.. What is Auburn?

Reaction Score
The problem is Diggins body isn’t physically capable yet for top D1 ball. He needs to get stronger. A one year transfer would have bridged that gap.
I know the casual fans are not going to like Chief saying this but I wish it was more acceptable today for many players to view their freshman year as a learning experience.
This rush to get to The League, a destination most players don’t make or others just make briefly is a fools destination for so many. Chief wishes more players would focus on having a good college career and winning games and let that translate.
Was Shabazz really any physically stronger than Diggins his Freshman year? I actually don’t think so. Diggins might not be Shabazz talent-wise, but I think he’s perfectly capable of running the point for 5-8 minutes a game to give Cole a breather.

Reaction Score
No excuses for it, but I wonder if playing pressure D all game, makes it hard to play offense at the same level. Maybe playing A quality defense makes it hard to play A quality offense. IDK.

On the other hand, If a team has the quality of players like the championship years with high quality depth top to bottom, maybe not so much or almost not at all.

Good, consistent shooters always boost an offense.

Reaction Score
Gaffney isn’t a point guard. I have t seen Diggins play the point. Who’s the fourth?
frosh- digg, soph-aj, junior- gaff, senior- cole

if AJ is going to be an "NBA PG" he needs to be able to start playing the position for ~5mpg, or was hurley just delirious when he said that?

Reaction Score

if AJ is going to be an "NBA PG" he needs to be able to start playing the position for ~5mpg, or was hurley just delirious when he said that?

I think AJ is ready to do more. He has the size, the handle, the vision.

Reaction Score

Jackson is not a point guard in an sense of anything, ever. He’s maybe a point forward but his handle is not good enough to beat the press. He’s another turnover waiting to happen.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Hurley lies to the media a lot.

Reaction Score
They thought gaffney was good
Agree. That’s what it boils down to and quite frankly Chief thought so too. I still believe he has the skills but Gaffney needs to present them in games. Hurley not going with Gaffney late in some games, when they have a small lead, is a real confidence indictment. That’s when you want guards to work down the shot clock and then go to the line. Our Bahamas team never got very far into the shot clock without a turnover at key times.
Again, this crazy NBA thing is going on in too many minds. Jalen’s biggest value to the current team is ballhandling / reduce turnovers/ball movement - yet he seems to be focusing on rather or not he should or shouldn’t score.

Reaction Score
Seriously. 3 pages on this. Looks like the Syracuse Board

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
i don’t love the roster construction we have way too many like combo forwards and not enough ball handlers. I think staff thought AJ could run point, facilitate in the half court but he’s been too turnover prone. They’ve been using Martin at the top a bunch not ideal but he’s the best option with Sool still learning and Gaffney struggling. Wish we had Castle on this roster we could use a big perimeter guard who can pass and handle the ball.

Reaction Score
i don’t love the roster construction we have way too many like combo forwards and not enough ball handlers. I think staff thought AJ could run point, facilitate in the half court but he’s been too turnover prone. They’ve been using Martin at the top a bunch not ideal but he’s the best option with Sool still learning and Gaffney struggling. Wish we had Castle on this roster we could use a big perimeter guard who can pass and handle the ball.
Castle just started his junior year in high school, I doubt he would be much help.

2014DualCs

#44 Kangaroo Jack
Reaction Score
People are quick to forget Gaffney was the only person trying to win against Maryland.

I don’t think it’s that ridiculous to say Gaffney will figure it out here soon and start contributing in a big way. A lot of the team struggled in the Bahamas. Gaffney will solidify being #2 in everyone’s minds going into BE play, book it…

Reaction Score
People are quick to forget Gaffney was the only person trying to win against Maryland.

I don’t think it’s that ridiculous to say Gaffney will figure it out here soon and start contributing in a big way. A lot of the team struggled in the Bahamas. Gaffney will solidify being #2 in everyone’s minds going into BE play, book it…
It's amazing how much hype Gaffney has gotten from his 12 point, 1 assist, 3 turnover performance against Maryland in a loss. You would think the kid scored 40 from all the posts about that magical performance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom