Explain to me why we didn’t bring in another point guard??? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Explain to me why we didn’t bring in another point guard???

Reaction Score
We clearly need a player who can dribble the ball well against the press. Why didn’t Hurley get a transfer who could help to beat the press. Was Hurley under the impression that Gaffney can dribble well? We don’t look like a top 25 team based on these last two games. We can’t shoot well and can’t dribble well. I’m not an expert but I think you need to do both of those well in order to be a good team. I’m other news, Hawkins needs 28 minutes a game and Gaffney needs to play less.
I'd suspect the reason DH didn't bring in transfers is the same reason no one left. He seems very loyal to his players and they apparently return the sentiment. The seniors stuck with him and he's standing by them through thick and thin.

Reaction Score
Castle just started his junior year in high school, I doubt he would be much help.
Agreed and I have caught up on a lot of Castle film lately and at this point I think he's more of a combo guard than a true point. I think to run the point/bring the ball up / break presses he is going to have to be a great passer and to learn to crouch more when dribbling because I haven't seen those skills out of him at this point; though that is possibly more a function that he doesn't have to against the competition he is facing.

Reaction Score
People are quick to forget Gaffney was the only person trying to win against Maryland.

I don’t think it’s that ridiculous to say Gaffney will figure it out here soon and start contributing in a big way. A lot of the team struggled in the Bahamas. Gaffney will solidify being #2 in everyone’s minds going into BE play, book it…
Actually, he's already #2 in the minds of many here.

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed and I have caught up on a lot of Castle film lately and at this point I think he's more of a combo guard than a true point. I think to run the point/bring the ball up / break presses he is going to have to be a great passer and to learn to crouch more when dribbling because I haven't seen those skills out of him at this point; though that is possibly more a function that he doesn't have to against the competition he is facing.

Hurley seems to feel confident that he can teach a combo guard to be a point guard. That conversion rarely works for other coaches. We'll see if Hurley can make it happen.

Reaction Score
4 pages of this thread and no praise for VCU. In fact, elements of dismissiveness. You saw that team's identity. 6-3 to 6-8 guys with long arms frantically disrupting your ball movement with press the entire game - NO you don't get to say they are mediocre. (and they got beat by Wagner & Chattanooga). You merely have to respond to that 2 hour game one afternoon in Bahamas that they gave us fits.

VCU has this identity; Mike Rhoades is a good coach. They pushed us to corners and overwhelmed 2 ball handlers with 3 defenders in the backcourt often. Yes. You have to pieces of how we need to fix this. Gaffney has to get far better; Jackson did go over the top and through with dribble ... and needs to be more effective; and Diggins needs run. Martin doesn't give you a plus ballhandler. And that game made certain guys - Akok - largely ineffective because of some skills.

It was mentioned that VCU (and MSU) are top few defensively in metrics. We see why. On one day, they were on their game. NOT only are they not a mediocre A 10 program, they are once again going to challenge for a MM invite. And they can beat the best in their league playing that way.

Reaction Score
4 pages of this thread and no praise for VCU. In fact, elements of dismissiveness. You saw that team's identity. 6-3 to 6-8 guys with long arms frantically disrupting your ball movement with press the entire game - NO you don't get to say they are mediocre. (and they got beat by Wagner & Chattanooga). You merely have to respond to that 2 hour game one afternoon in Bahamas that they gave us fits.

VCU has this identity; Mike Rhoades is a good coach. They pushed us to corners and overwhelmed 2 ball handlers with 3 defenders in the backcourt often. Yes. You have to pieces of how we need to fix this. Gaffney has to get far better; Jackson did go over the top and through with dribble ... and needs to be more effective; and Diggins needs run. Martin doesn't give you a plus ballhandler. And that game made certain guys - Akok - largely ineffective because of some skills.

It was mentioned that VCU (and MSU) are top few defensively in metrics. We see why. On one day, they were on their game. NOT only are they not a mediocre A 10 program, they are once again going to challenge for a MM invite. And they can beat the best in their league playing that way.
All games can’t be cupcakes. There’s a reason Danny wanted out of the Bahama’s ASAP. There’s a lot to clean-up, despite going 2-1.
We are short a ball handler and isn’t that’s why we lost to George Mason in 2006? Yes, these are very good defensive teams. But, 24 turnovers in a game?
Quite frankly, replacing fancy play with simple play will help some, especially with Jackson. We also need to execute a few simple quick hitting plays that Chief has discussed in other posts, to break and score off the press.
The book for playing against UConn is published and out there now. Danny now must counter that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn has second weekend talent.
If UConn has second weekend talent (and I'm not saying no), then Hurley isn't getting nearly enough credit for an incredibly rapid rebuild. Amazing, really.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom