Experts: College Football Player COVID-19 Deaths a sure thing if 2020 season is played | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Experts: College Football Player COVID-19 Deaths a sure thing if 2020 season is played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone have a doomsday clock for NCAA football fall 2020? If so, move the minute hand closer to midnight.:(

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to live withCOVID for the foreseeable future as vaccines don’t appear close. I would guess that treatments will get better so the death rates will decline over time. Thus, we are going to have to wear masks, social distance, protect the most vulnerable,...

The will be one or more vaccine(s) availablle before the end of the year. C_nfirmed

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't think any of us would be shocked to find out this is what is being done already at schools like Clemson & LSU
I had that exact thought while reading this article.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There won't be a vaccine anytime soon and we either live with this or stayed locked up. In talking to a couple of different physicians I grew up with, both stated we need herd immunity and those older folks with health issues need to stay safe. Limiting exposure to high risk areas.

Reaction Score
It’s not going away, and we need to deal with real info instead of hysteria. The chances are very small of a COVID related death especially if basic testing is done each week to clear players. Players also die from heat exhaustion and heart defects every year too. It’s time to get off the merry ground and get back to life. If it was the 6o+ international shuffle board league, a delay is warranted. For young healthy adults in peak condition, it’s time to takeoff the bubble wrap.

Reaction Score
Soccer in Europe has the odd positive test every now and then.

But these are pro athletes who can stay isolated from the general population, not college students on a campus.

Europe doesn't have the spread and infection rate that we are experiencing right now. Not saying that won't change but they are in a different situation than the US right now.

Reaction Score
Soccer in Europe has the odd positive test every now and then.

But these are pro athletes who can stay isolated from the general population, not college students on a campus.

Europe doesn't have the spread and infection rate that we are experiencing right now. Not saying that won't change but they are in a different situation than the US right now.
Zoo is right. Pro sports, that is their business. They ask their employees to go in a “bubble” get tested and play. Players agree and get paid. There are 32 teams to coordinate.

college? There are nearly 400 DI schools, 130 FBS schools, no union to represent players interests only and none of the athletes are paid .

that, and the fact that these players have to do college work on campus...this is not manageable. You can’t put college kids in a bubble.

We always wants plans and a solution. There is no logical solution to this for September. The virus will do what does.

Reaction Score
Zoo is right. Pro sports, that is their business. They ask their employees to go in a “bubble” get tested and play. Players agree and get paid. There are 32 teams to coordinate.

college? There are nearly 400 DI schools, 130 FBS schools, no union to represent players interests only and none of the athletes are paid .

that, and the fact that these players have to do college work on campus...this is not manageable. You can’t put college kids in a bubble.

We always wants plans and a solution. There is no logical solution to this for September. The virus will do what does.

Players across the country are starting to clap back:

DB @ Uof A:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There are going to be kids that dont want to play in the environment. Everyone should be given an extra year of eligibility and the right to sit in all fall sports. I dont see how you move forward without such an offer to the students.

However the bigger issue is whether there will even be a season to begin with. I think we are headed towards the NCAA announcing week 0 and 1 games are cancelled come early August and then by Sept 1 an announcement that the season is cancelled. Just my guess at this hour.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

FC Dallas from MLS had 6 players test positive after traveling to Orlando for the MLS is back tournament.

In European soccer you don’t even have to fly to away games. Unless you are talking Champions League or Europa League everything is within driving distance.

Can’t say that with US pro or college sports in most cases.

Reaction Score
Based on what we know now, the death rate for COVID-19 for those less than 30 is almost identical with the flu. Where the death rates differ is for those over 50. I’m not saying that COVID-19 won’t become more deadly for younger people, but at this time the data says the death rate is similar.
View attachment 56011

But the after recovery issues for covid and much worse than the flu. It isn't just about the mortality rate.

Reaction Score
Maybe there will be a spring football season....more and more talk.

Reaction Score
Since one of the trouble areas for Covid is morbid obesity. An since many football players need to carry large amounts of weight. This is something that needs to watched carefully. I would think lineman would be at the most risk.

people keep throwing around death rates for people under 30. But what about people under 30 who contract it with high risk conditions like obesity? How many players on college teams are 275 + pounds?

I just can’t see with the increases in cases how their can be a college football season in the fall. I also can’t see how there can be a fall semester with all of those kids on campus.

Next month will be telling but I think we will see a lot of colleges announcing a fall closure. The only holdouts will be SEC schools.

Reaction Score
And to add, if I am an AD or President I am immediately talking about a spring season and trying to get others on board collaboratively.

just too much risk for a fall season. Make the announcement and focus on the spring.

Reaction Score
There won't be a vaccine anytime soon and we either live with this or stayed locked up. In talking to a couple of different physicians I grew up with, both stated we need herd immunity and those older folks with health issues need to stay safe. Limiting exposure to high risk areas.

Define anytime soon, and provide a viable rationale for your reasoning, please.

Reaction Score
Since one of the trouble areas for Covid is morbid obesity. An since many football players need to carry large amounts of weight. This is something that needs to watched carefully. I would think lineman would be at the most risk.
In thinking about "obesity" you have to account for where that weight comes from. Many professional athletes' BMIs classify them as overweight or obese. Lebron is "overweight" according to BMI.

The conventional thinking is a person with the corresponding health problems that come along with obesity due to excess body fat (high cholesterol, breathing problems, high blood pressure, etc.) make them more susceptible to Covid.

It's not clear whether an "obese" offensive lineman is more susceptible to Covid, whose weight is partially due to muscle and who trains regularly and is in better cardiovascular health than the stereotypical "obese" person.

Point: These kinds of articles require a lot of nuanced consideration that they don't contain. The overall health of a 350-lb offensive lineman /= a non-athlete 350-lb person.

Reaction Score
In thinking about "obesity" you have to account for where that weight comes from. Many professional athletes' BMIs classify them as overweight or obese. Lebron is "overweight" according to BMI.

The conventional thinking is a person with the corresponding health problems that come along with obesity due to excess body fat (high cholesterol, breathing problems, high blood pressure, etc.) make them more susceptible to Covid.

It's not clear whether an "obese" offensive lineman is more susceptible to Covid, whose weight is partially due to muscle and who trains regularly and is in better cardiovascular health than the stereotypical "obese" person.

Point: These kinds of articles require a lot of nuanced consideration that they don't contain. The overall health of a 350-lb offensive lineman /= a non-athlete 350-lb person.

I think they did a fair job here covering all the angles in the offensive/defensive lineman size discussion:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom