Expected Result....but | The Boneyard

Expected Result....but

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Score was about right. At some point this week I said the final score is whatever Harbaugh wanted it to be. If he leaves starters in, 100 points was a given.

This was the biggest mismatch in talent since UConn played Miami in the BE, probably biggest of all-time.

So, we weren't expecting a competitive game, but..... UConn definitely shot itself in the foot about a dozen times. Maybe enough mistakes which removed the chance for a FG or a TD.

Starting QB gone for the season, top two WR's out, and top RB is now officially "banged up". Second and third string RB's are hurt too. Left Rosa and Burns to run the ball today. So, anyone expected offense to be anything but offensive isn't being realistic.

Defense got clubbed on the first possession and then actually played decent for several drives considered turnovers left Michigan with very short fields. Eventually they wore down.

The DB's are laughably bad at shedding blocks. I made a reference in the chat room to doing some drill similar to the basketball team's rebounding drill when you stay on the court until you get a rebound. Shedding a block is part technique, part strength and a whole lotta I just want separation.

WR's, or those who are left, cannot get any separation. Really bummed out Fitzgerald from ODU hasn't been able to produce. TE's are nothing to worry about and even Carter alligator armed a sure first down pass over the middle. Turner has nothing to throw to; there is no one open.

What Charlton has done with the Millen package isn't confusing or befuddling, it's been dumb so far. There is no nuance or surprise. He's keeping the ball and running.

So, one more clubbing next week at NC State and then us fans can step back, see who is healthy and try to figure out what can happen going forward.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Score was about right. At some point this week I said the final score is whatever Harbaugh wanted it to be. If he leaves starters in, 100 points was a given.

This was the biggest mismatch in talent since UConn played Miami in the BE, probably biggest of all-time.

So, we weren't expecting a competitive game, but..... UConn definitely shot itself in the foot about a dozen times. Maybe enough mistakes which removed the chance for a FG or a TD.

Starting QB gone for the season, top two WR's out, and top RB is now officially "banged up". Second and third string RB's are hurt too. Left Rosa and Burns to run the ball today. So, anyone expected offense to be anything but offensive isn't being realistic.

Defense got clubbed on the first possession and then actually played decent for several drives considered turnovers left Michigan with very short fields. Eventually they wore down.

The DB's are laughably bad at shedding blocks. I made a reference in the chat room to doing some drill similar to the basketball team's rebounding drill when you stay on the court until you get a rebound. Shedding a block is part technique, part strength and a whole lotta I just want separation.

WR's, or those who are left, cannot get any separation. Really bummed out Fitzgerald from ODU hasn't been able to produce. TE's are nothing to worry about and even Carter alligator armed a sure first down pass over the middle. Turner has nothing to throw to; there is no one open.

What Charlton has done with the Millen package isn't confusing or befuddling, it's been dumb so far. There is no nuance or surprise. He's keeping the ball and running.

So, one more clubbing next week at NC State and then us fans can step back, see who is healthy and try to figure out what can happen going forward.

This was the best team UConn will face over the next couple of years. NCST is not on the same plane at Michigan. Should be a little more competitive than this game. I am hoping for a similar game to Cuse

This is going to take time and there are games left that UConn can win

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This was the best team UConn will face over the next couple of years. NCST is not on the same plane at Michigan. Should be a little more competitive than this game. I am hoping for a similar game to Cuse

This is going to take time and there are games left that UConn can win

Right. But if NC State keeps it foot on the pedal all 60 minutes the results might look the same. Michigan played about 25 minutes of football today.

Reaction Score

100,000 people knew what Millen was going to do. 4th and less than a yard… shotgun formation?

Reaction Score
100,000 people knew what Millen was going to do. 4th and less than a yard… shotgun formation?
Clearly, Charlton assumed Michigan was going to stack the box. They didn't. They only put four on the LOS. So running the option wide was doomed. Also, it's apparent that Millen didn't have the perogative to call an audible.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The good news is that UConn is just as good as South Carolina as proven by this image.
Screenshot_20220917-145029.png

Reaction Score
The difference in programs can be summed up here, Michigan had 7 QBs complete a pass. We apparently have 1 and 1/2 healthy QBs on our roster. They had 11 guys carry the ball we have 2 healthy backs and 1 HUGE question mark in Carter. Hopefully the staff played it safe by limiting his touches second half. They had 10 guys catch a pass we had 4, two that were not RBs.

Too bad Steve Krajewski didn't give it a little more time before transferring - he would have helped us tremendously as he is far superior and more experienced to what we are trotting out there.

We need to continue to hit the portal hard this offseason.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Charlton is proving to be a D+ upgrade from an F with Guifre. Totally unimpressed with play calling. Mostly, hot garbage. Sticking with Zion is a sure way of going no where the rest of the season.
So....who do you want to replace Zion with? Millen and Tyler Phommachanh aren't 100%. Would you rather run out a banged up QB?

They have no options...they are depleted at QB, WR and RB. Only hope we have is that by the time we finish with Fresno, they have found some offensive weapons to use against teams we can actually compete with.

I didn't watch most of the second half...but from what I saw the OL seemed to play a decent game.

Reaction Score
Seems like Zion is definitely not a dual threat QB. Not sure why was expecting a Tyler P. type elusiveness.

Reaction Score
At least Mora showed some pluck after the punt return almost slugging the st coach. In similar games, Edsel used to look straight ahead like he was in some strange football fugue state.
He needs to check the mirror on his defensive coach. His DE is giving up the edge.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a range of teams that every team is capable of being and Michigan is outside of UConn's range. UConn would need to get very lucky and have everything break right to beat BCU or Fresno State, but there is no collection of circumstances that would ever enable UConn to beat Michigan. I would also argue that Michigan is outside of the range of any team that would be within UConn's range. Michigan is that much better.

I think NC State is out of UConn's range, and Fresno and BCU are on the very fringe of the range of teams that UConn could beat. Liberty and Ball State are better than UConn, but they are within the range and better benchmarks of how UConn is doing.

Let's just move on from Michigan. We don't need any further analysis of this game.

Reaction Score
At least Mora showed some pluck after the punt return almost slugging the st coach. In similar games, Edsel used to look straight ahead like he was in some strange football fugue state.
It was Saban like. Has a rep that he is hard on coaches. Maybe why captain Lou left.

Reaction Score
Fresno State game begins at 3:30 Oct 1. Should end around 7:00, just in time for UConn men’s hockey to commence its season at Vermont.

Something to look forward to, with realistic expectations

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Seems like Zion is definitely not a dual threat QB. Not sure why was expecting a Tyler P. type elusiveness.
His 19 yard run was nice. He is more of a pocket quarterback but can move and looks better than Millen running.

Reaction Score
His 19 yard run was nice. He is more of a pocket quarterback but can move and looks better than Millen running.
He looks like the ol' Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen as a runner. If you think he looks better than Millen running, nothing I can say to that except I don't see it.

Reaction Score
There are a range of teams that every team is capable of being and Michigan is outside of UConn's range. UConn would need to get very lucky and have everything break right to beat BCU or Fresno State, but there is no collection of circumstances that would ever enable UConn to beat Michigan. I would also argue that Michigan is outside of the range of any team that would be within UConn's range. Michigan is that much better.

I think NC State is out of UConn's range, and Fresno and BCU are on the very fringe of the range of teams that UConn could beat. Liberty and Ball State are better than UConn, but they are within the range and better benchmarks of how UConn is doing.

Let's just move on from Michigan. We don't need any further analysis of this game.
It's not about being within range, it's UConn's total inability to score a single point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom