Expectations | The Boneyard

Expectations

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Beat Syracuse and we've played to our seed. Everything is house money after that but I wouldn't be surprised at Geno pulling a rabbit or three out of his hat. We are a bit spoiled around here but it should be noted that this team has done a great job battling through adversity this season.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
11 time national champions are not content ,win it all or it’s a disappointing season!
How many of those did you have anything to do with? I'm not going to be disappointed in a team that has overachieved through so much adversity. But you do you. Maybe you can send them a nasty letter or something if they lose in the semi.

Reaction Score
11 time national champions are not content ,win it all or it’s a disappointing season!
I realize your post is rubbing a few the wrong way, but it is the reality of the expectations for many of us, and the team,also. Everyone is super proud of this team, and Geno has done a remarkable job this year. The bar is set high for a reason! Like they say, “ It is, what it is!”

Reaction Score
I realize your post is rubbing a few the wrong way, but it is the reality of the expectations for many of us, and the team,also. Everyone is super proud of this team, and Geno has done a remarkable job this year. The bar is set high for a reason! Like they say, “ It is, what it is!”
This isn't true at all. Did you see Geno's postgame? See below. Does that sound like someone suggesting that it is championship or failure? Where do you get that from?

Secondly, how often has Geno stated his Goals are to win the Reg Season Big East (or in the past the AAC). Then win the Big East Tourney. Then Win your Region in NCAA Tourney. Then win the Championship game. They are set goals for a reason. It's not "championship or you fail." Otherwise there would be no goals other than championship, right? So, how can anyone say or imply that if you reach some goals that you set out for and you achieve some of them that you are a failure? Then why would you bother to set any Goal other than NCAA championship if the others don't mean anything? We can see from below these games mean a lot to Geno and the player's. It's wrong to dismiss this.

What happens is that some fans have become spoiled and don’t give a damn about Big East and etc-- but that's not coming from the coaches or the players. Certain fans that think like this must feel that they're above it all. But you see how UCONN celebrates when they win - they don't treat it like that.

To take this further- anyone suggesting it's only about championships, they are knocking teams that get to Final Four for only merely winning their region. When you get to the Final Four you are arguably one of the 4 best teams in the world for your age group because USA women’s basketball remains #1. So, taking a step back some are slamming a team that is may be of the top 4 in the world for their age group is crazy. Or are we going to slam them because these FF teams might be merely "6" and not "4"? . . .

Reaction Score
This isn't true at all. Did you see Geno's postgame? See below. Does that sound like someone suggesting that it is championship or failure? Where do you get that from?

Secondly, how often has Geno stated his Goals are to win the Reg Season Big East (or in the past the AAC). Then win the Big East Tourney. Then Win your Region in NCAA Tourney. Then win the Championship game. They are set goals for a reason. It's not "championship or you fail." Otherwise there would be no goals other than championship, right? So, how can anyone say or imply that if you reach some goals that you set out for and you achieve some of them that you are a failure? Then why would you bother to set any Goal other than NCAA championship if the others don't mean anything? We can see from below these games mean a lot to Geno and the player's. It's wrong to dismiss this.

What happens is that some fans have become spoiled and don’t give a damn about Big East and etc-- but that's not coming from the coaches or the players. Certain fans that think like this must feel that they're above it all. But you see how UCONN celebrates when they win - they don't treat it like that.

To take this further- anyone suggesting it's only about championships, they are knocking teams that get to Final Four for only merely winning their region. When you get to the Final Four you are arguably one of the 4 best teams in the world for your age group because USA women’s basketball remains #1. So, taking a step back some are slamming a team that is may be of the top 4 in the world for their age group is crazy. Or are we going to slam them because these FF teams might be merely "6" and not "4"? . . .

Take it easy, feller. You’re correct, we are spoiled, and expect to compete for a championship every year. Nowhere said not getting one is a failure, or slamming the team. Geno has said it many times, he created a monster, and expectations are unreal, but they still are expectations. Make book every UConn player this year would not be happy with anything less than a Natty. That’s why they come here!

Reaction Score
Getting to the Sweet 16 with this team and the injuries was the realistic goal. Anything past this is exceeding expectations. It's going to get much tougher the rest of the way. Just need to stay in the spotlight to stay on the radar of top recruits.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I guess the last 8 years weren’t worth watching. A clearly miserable and unentertaining stretch. It really is a spoiled idea that anything less than an NC is mot very goof. This year hss been as good as any. All gravy. We have an injured squad that would probably at leadt a strong tournament team. Whatever this years team does is great. The silver lining is that out freshmen got.a lot of playing time and dif well to fabulous.

Reaction Score
“Expectation” is different than “want”.

Every year I EXPECT the UConn men and women’s basketball teams to perform at the very best of their ability come March and have a respectable tournament run. Sometimes that run comes to an end sooner rather than later.

(Now, every year I WANT them to both win National Championships. Unfortunately, that’s just not realistic. I guess other teams have to win too, sometimes. :(:p)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I have two expectations. As a basketball fan I enjoy watching beautiful basketball. Our guard dominated team has played more beautifully than our recent, injury plagued offenses, so that expectation is met.

As an alumnus I expect my alma mater to “do things right” and develop fine women in the process. I would not be proud of a team that won a championship in a ruthless way that broke rules or disrespected opponent. UConn has been exemplary at this even when the basketball has not been as beautiful.

I know that many bandwagon fans share neither of these expectations and winning championships is everything, but I believe that alumni in general are not bandwagon fans.

Reaction Score
After all of the injuries this season, I figured that if the team even made the top 16 that would be a great accomplishment and it is.......now that they're there and playing a good but not great Duke team my expectations have changed.........I'm hoping for a victory against Duke and then why not a victory against USC or Baylor? That said it's one game at a time and this UConn team could also easily lose to Duke and that would be that...........regardless I'm incredibly proud of this team and Geno for performing so well under awful circumstances.....

Reaction Score
After all of the injuries this season, I figured that if the team even made the top 16 that would be a great accomplishment and it is.......now that they're there and playing a good but not great Duke team my expectations have changed.........I'm hoping for a victory against Duke and then why not a victory against USC or Baylor? That said it's one game at a time and this UConn team could also easily lose to Duke and that would be that...........regardless I'm incredibly proud of this team and Geno for performing so well under awful circumstances.....
Very inciteful opinions in the posts above, but this highlighted section of your post, is exactly how many Boneyarders feel.

Reaction Score
You can have whatever expectations you want but don’t be trying to speak for “many of us” or the team. You have no idea what their expectations are. All I expect of real competitors like these kids is for them to play as hard as they can and never quit. Then they’ll finish where their talent and skill dictates. You’ll notice that the players never throw out excuses, only fans do that.

Reaction Score
Take it easy, feller. You’re correct, we are spoiled, and expect to compete for a championship every year. Nowhere said not getting one is a failure, or slamming the team. Geno has said it many times, he created a monster, and expectations are unreal, but they still are expectations. Make book every UConn player this year would not be happy with anything less than a Natty. That’s why they come here!
The post you replied to called the seaosn disppointing if not winning it all. You seemd to agree with that. So the postgame I was just making a point that Geno didn't seem disappointed one bit. Not for this year.

So when you repleid "many of us . . . " imo you are in an extreme minority for this year if that is your point.

This thread spoke of this year.

Reaction Score
Geno has expectations and goals every year. He does not berate players or the team for not winning it all each year. He doesn’t make excuses and holds people accountable. That is different than a fan expecting to win it all then being nasty and negative about players and coaches if they don’t. We’re talking about humans, not machines. Some fan expectations are resentments waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
Given what these guys have gone through this year, this group will always be one of my favorite teams and that goes back to 1995.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Given the comedy of errors in injuries this season, for a while I thought our absolute ceiling was the elite 8. I figured we'd be a 2 or 3 seed, and would play a 3 or 2 seed to advance to the elite 8. Because we'd be playing a team who was (in theory) a top 12 team, I figured we'd lose in the elite 8 (we haven't beaten anyone who is a top 15 team this year. Lost to all 5 of them we played so no reason to think that magically changes).

Having said that, it's why you play the games. ND lost a bunch of games this year, but have looked great lately. Just one example. For the record, I do not think we have looked great. Jackson State was solid, and Syracuse very good, but we played like a 3 seed. Solid but not great. We need to be great to make a final 4.

I do think we beat Duke. No cakewalk for sure, but I think they are offensively challenged enough that our defense will enable us to prevail. If we do win, we face Baylor or USC. USC is more than Juju Watkins, and I'm not sure we have the team to beat them. In this tournament, Q has barely gotten off the bench (7 minutes game 1, 0 in game 2), and Ice has been barely adequate. So basically we have a team of 5, and you hold your breath whenever Ice comes off the bench.

My "expectations" as we moved thru Feb and into March morphed to "win the big east" and "advance to the elite 8". Anything is possible, and I hope I'm wrong and we have a magical run...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I guess the last 8 years weren’t worth watching. A clearly miserable and unentertaining stretch. It really is a spoiled idea that anything less than an NC is mot very goof. This year hss been as good as any. All gravy. We have an injured squad that would probably at leadt a strong tournament team. Whatever this years team does is great. The silver lining is that out freshmen got.a lot of playing time and dif well to fabulous.
Geez i can’t type with my glasses off. Why does auto correct not correct what it should?

Reaction Score
Uconn almost always heads into a season with a national championship as a goal, and ranked among a small group with a decent chance of achieving that goal. Then expectations change, players might turn out to be better or worse than thought and of course injuries.

We in essence have not received any help from two complete recruiting classes, the junior and sophomore class which included recruits ranked 1,5,15, 4 and 5. Only Ice is even available, and has under-performed her HS ranking by a significant margin. The odds of that happening are incredible, three straight years of injuries that were the kind of thing you might expect once in a 10 year stretch, not three times in a row.

Every one of those injuries and setbacks reduced the expectations for this team, and the combined impact probably cut our chances of the ultimate goal to a fraction of what they were previously.

That doesn't mean the goal changes, but the odds of reaching it certainly does, as does the framing over what is now considered a pretty good season given the hand we were dealt. I for one hate that a few cherished streaks came to an end, that I believe would not have if we had even average luck on injuries. Such as not losing two games in a row from 1993 until last year, or our in conference win streak being snapped.

So it was gratifying in this year of hardship to at least keep our streak of getting to the Sweet Sixteen intact, because unlike some prior years it was far from a given. If we win our next one, I think the season at that point will have been a success for me. If we make it to the Final Four a major over achievement, and if we could somehow win it all, one of the greatest sports stories of overcoming adversity in recent years.

We are probably not among the very top programs this year, but I think Geno is pretty proud of what this group has done so far, and believes they have performed pretty well given his revised expectations because of the circumstances.

Reaction Score
A lot of you are getting on Smp7598 for Smp's comment. But Smp is absolutely right.
So if and when we get to the final 4 youre gonna all say, "ok thats good enough"?
NONE of you will cuz you believe in the greatness and resolve of our team.
And Smp didnt say the Huskies would be a failure. He said a disappointing season. If we lose before we win the national championship we will still be proud of our girls but it will be a disappointment to us and them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom