Expectations for 2017-18 season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Expectations for 2017-18 season

Reaction Score
The big question is, can RE and company take what sound like middling players and turn them into good players? Can they take a few good players and turn them into great players? And are the coaches good and smart enough to be able to get the right combo of players and style of play onto the field?

You left out one big key...

rogers-mod-sled-5-man-869.jpg

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I was going to say 4-8, but I believe in Randy so I'll say 5-7.

6-6 if the football gods like us.

Reaction Score
I'm cautiously optimistic.There's been a lot of coaching changes and some of these schools were just as bad as us last year. We're due for a break.

Here are my early expectations for this year. I can’t wait to see if my perceptions change after Blue-White Game.

There are 128 FBS teams. Here’s a list of our upcoming 2017 opponents and where they finished statistically in 2016.

OFFENSE
USF—8
TULS—35
MEM—37
MIZZ—42
E. CAR—71
SMU—72
TMPL—79
UVA—89
CIN—105
UCF—117
BC—124
UConn—127

DEFENSE
TMPL—16
BC—21
UCF—30
CIN—53
MEM—72
UVA—78
UConn—87
MIZZ—89
SMU—91
TULS—104
USF—110

BEST IMPROVEMENT/WORSENING DEFENSE (2015 compared to 2016)
UCF--moved up 82 positions in the rankings
TULS—up 50 positions
CIN—up 44
SMU—up 33
TMPL—up 8
MEM—up 7
UVA—moved down 1 position in the rankings
BC—down 19
E CAR—down 35
UConn—down 55
USF—down 61
MIZZ—down 79

THE COMBINED 2016 OFFENSE AND DEFENSE RANKINGS
TMPL—32—they’ve lost very good coach Matt Rhule
MEM—44—they lost great kicker/special teams. New coach last year replaced program builder Fuentes
TULS—54—No significant changes. Under-appreciated team
USF—55—With new HC Charlie Strong, defense should be better. Possible Heisman winner on team
MIZZ—69—New Coach last year. Had great O--Dismal D
UCF—75—Improving quickly under Scott Frost
CINCY—85—New HC Luke Fickell should be a plus. Players tuned out Tuberville.
BC—86—No Changes. No surprises.
UVA—88—New Coach last year Bronco Mendenhall. They seem to consistently underperform.
SMU—90—No Changes. HC Morris wants to be respected in state of Texas like Tom Hermann—not there yet.
E CAR—100—New Coach last year. Lost big time receiver.
UCONN—123—Edsall's back with better assistant coaches--new scheme —better attitude—players committed to improve

LIKELY WINS
Holy Cross
E. Carolina
Memphis

POSSIBLE to PROBABLE WINS---if we build momentum
Mizzou—In 2016 Mizzou was the country’s biggest riser on offense. It was also the single biggest faller on defense.
UVA
Temple
SMU
BC

PROBABLE to POSSIBLE LOSSES-- based on how their improving situation compares to ours.
Cincy
UCF--UCF went in one season from one of the worst defenses in college football to a solid one.

LIKELY LOSSES
Tulsa—Explosive and underrated
USF—Last year USF QB Quinton Flowers completed a higher percentage of passes--with a lower interception rate---than Heisman winner Lamar Jackson. He also came close to matching him in rushing yards. New coach Charlie Strong will improve the defense. Look for USF to be in a New Years Day Bowl.

BOTTOM LINE
Right now I can foresee 8-4. After tomorrow--and Holy Cross---I'll reassess. But our year will hinge on the USF game. Coming off a great summer and a Thursday night win vs Holy Cross, we then get USF the following Saturday here at home. Extra practice/film study time will help. Amidst all the hype, if we keep it close—and show something on offense--we can become the surprise team of the year. If we fold early and are burned deep and buried often by their great running QB Flowers, it will be a very long slog back to respectability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom