Expect the Unexpected | The Boneyard

Expect the Unexpected

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
More injuries, sickness, and we wonder why UConn is struggling? We have over 60 pts on the bench.

Well now we know Amari is hurt something to do with her leg or knee or foot as she limped off the floor in the prior game to yesterday
Ines twisted or sprained her foot
Geno is out sick
Caroline is still recovering
Azzi out for at least another 3 weeks then when she comes back she will need time to catch her breath and get up to speed
Lou sore foot
Nika coming back from a concussion
Dorka recovering from a injury and during the post game conference said she was tired

That leaves Aubrey Patterson Edwards who are healthy. The announcers called UConn a depleted team and we are.

We are short of scorers/shooters and ball handlers. We saw a very short bench again yesterday forcing our players to play long minutes. They were tired and foul trouble caused them to back off on defense because there really wasnt much of a bench. Chris choose to back off on defense and give them the open trey. I agree. We needed to back off because we were tired and in foul trouble with no bench. Think about it. We had one substitute. When you give Lou a rest you put in a player who is not an outside threat. Defenses collapse in the middle and dare you to shoot from the outside. That makes it tuff for Aaliyah Dorka Griff and Patterson to score down low and almost eliminates are dribble drive. We once again saw a defense putting pressure on Nika forcing her to get rid of the ball to a player who may not be as good of a ballhandler. Lack of ball handlers results in picking up your dribble and either a steal or a TO. This is where we're at for a while.

The only answer is to get healthy and we are. Caroline is looking better and we have to survive the next month or so without Azzi. I for one dont know what to expect. We are a depleted team and are winning. Thats a huge accomplishment. It hasnt always looked like the UConn team we are used to seeing and that gives you an idea of how resilient this team is. Yesterday we were running on fumes in the 3rd qtr. Tired run down and not much time to rest. Coming back from injuries makes it even harder to play long minutes. Without a bench and being run down you accumulate fouls and that forces you to back off defensively ala FLST hitting wide open 3 pointers.

We have been able to survive. I believe we have a few more weeks to go before we can get back on track. On track meaning Caroline to get up to speed and score like we know she can and the return of Azzi who will also need time to catch her breath and get up to speed. That will give us two more really good scorers and that will open things up for us.

For now we dont know what to expect so expect the unexpected. Some how some way we have found a way to win. I would expect other teams to pick up on what has happened to UConn. I would also expect that Geno will come up with plays to open things up. With that said I hope Geno is back soon.

I dont expect any game to be easy which will only make us tuffer when we get everybody healthy. We have shot the ball well, rebounded well and we have made a very good percentage from the line and that in itself is amazing for a team that is a little run down. We need to cut down on the turnovers and steals and that is accomplished by not picking up our dribble.

Next up Seton Hall, Christmas break then Marquette and Creighton.

Reaction Score
As always, an informative post with insight. Great post Carnac. On our plus side is our rebounding, free throws and high % shooting 2,s. Especially the rebounding. Our curse is the turnovers and steals. For Uconn to gain momentum for the up-coming games ,cutting down the TOs and steals will add 12-15 points per game and on to victory. In my eyes, it's that simple and when Azzi is back, it's all over. Final Four. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
In my opinion, what is required at this point in time is a lot of patience to see things through for this team and the individual players. We have to stand by this team no matter the score or the outcome and be less judgemental. We cannot wish some one to be well. It takes time. At the beginning of the season when it appeared everyone was well, including Paige, the expectations was for a season of great success. However, as the last few weeks have played out, the team is being re-assembled Just have fun and watch the game wishing the team well.

Reaction Score
Two points you didn't mention:

1. Fans are living in the past - spoiled. I stand by this, so tear me apart too if you like.
2. Some fans enjoy complaining and picking them apart.

They are young ladies playing a game doing the absolute best they can with what they've got. (Yes I understand they're on scholarship)

They'll be OK even though the fans may not be.

Reaction Score
as the last few weeks have played out, the team is being re-assembled
This about captures it: our team is re-assembling itself on the fly. Our problems all are expressions of this one truth.

And for some reason, when you mentioned our expectations before Paige’s injury, I gasped involuntarily. These things take a toll on us all.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The absence of scorers yesterday was evident.

Reaction Score
Azzi could be back in a week.
I'm pretty sure they are going to be very cautious with Azzi..........I don't expect to see her as a starter until the middle of January regardless of how the rest of the team is doing...........losing her for the season would be the end of UConn's chances at an NC

Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing. At the beginning of the season, we had 6 players who we knew could provide very positive contributions to the teams success. Yesterday, 5 of them started. Hopefully, the 6th will return soon. We need AP to continue to grow into a reliable, productive role. Those 7 will be take us as far as we can go.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
More injuries, sickness, and we wonder why UConn is struggling? We have over 60 pts on the bench.

Well now we know Amari is hurt something to do with her leg or knee or foot as she limped off the floor in the prior game to yesterday
Geno is out sick
Azzi out for at least another 3 weeks then when she comes back she will need time to catch her breath and get up to speed
Lou sore foot
Dorka recovering from a injury and during the post game conference said she was tired

That leaves Aubrey Patterson Edwards who are healthy. The announcers called UConn a depleted team and we are.

We are short of scorers/shooters and ball handlers. We saw a very short bench again yesterday forcing our players to play long minutes. They were tired and foul trouble caused them to back off on defense because there really wasnt much of a bench. Chris choose to back off on defense and give them the open trey. I agree. We needed to back off because we were tired and in foul trouble with no bench. Think about it. We had one substitute. When you give Lou a rest you put in a player who is not an outside threat. Defenses collapse in the middle and dare you to shoot from the outside. That makes it tuff for Aaliyah Dorka Griff and Patterson to score down low and almost eliminates are dribble drive. We once again saw a defense putting pressure on Nika forcing her to get rid of the ball to a player who may not be as good of a ballhandler. Lack of ball handlers results in picking up your dribble and either a steal or a TO. This is where we're at for a while.

The only answer is to get healthy and we are. Caroline is looking better and we have to survive the next month or so without Azzi. I for one dont know what to expect. We are a depleted team and are winning. Thats a huge accomplishment. It hasnt always looked like the UConn team we are used to seeing and that gives you an idea of how resilient this team is. Yesterday we were running on fumes in the 3rd qtr. Tired run down and not much time to rest. Coming back from injuries makes it even harder to play long minutes. Without a bench and being run down you accumulate fouls and that forces you to back off defensively ala FLST hitting wide open 3 pointers.

We have been able to survive. I believe we have a few more weeks to go before we can get back on track. On track meaning Caroline to get up to speed and score like we know she can and the return of Azzi who will also need time to catch her breath and get up to speed. That will give us two more really good scorers and that will open things up for us.

For now we dont know what to expect so expect the unexpected. Some how some way we have found a way to win. I would expect other teams to pick up on what has happened to UConn. I would also expect that Geno will come up with plays to open things up. With that said I hope Geno is back soon.

I dont expect any game to be easy which will only make us tuffer when we get everybody healthy. We have shot the ball well, rebounded well and we have made a very good percentage from the line and that in itself is amazing for a team that is a little run down. We need to cut down on the turnovers and steals and that is accomplished by not picking up our dribble.

Good summation.

Reaction Score
I'm just really concerned with the continuous onslaught of injuries. Now Amari and Ines. It's not just getting back, it's playing together, developing a constant rotation, getting players their rest periods during the game, getting better as a team by playing with all players on the team, and finally being healthy in general. I think this brutal OOC schedule has proven to be highly counter productive. The Big East is not the AAC. There are some easy games but some very challenging ones, especially away. I'm happy we are starting those games now but we are a tired team already. That's because of the schedule at least in part in my view and by that I mean Friday home, take a plane, Sunday away against a ranked team. What did we gain? We knew we could beat anyone when we were healthy. Now we aren't. Will we be? Yes, but will we be where we would have been without these injuries( excluding Paige and Ice)? That's the $64,000.00 question, to show my age, in my mind.

Reaction Score
We were gassed yesterday in the second half.

I sat close-up behind the Florida St bench with my fingers crossed as fatigue drained the margin we earned in the fresher first half. The only sub I recall was Ayanna Patterson for not very long.

When the game closed to 2 possessions and the momentum was with Florida - we had no where to turn for energy or a change of personnel coverage.

What we don't have, we don't have. What we oh so desperately need is rapid development from Ayanna, Amari to reclaim her potential, Caroline to play like a healthy Caroline and a decent chance for Ines to gain maturity in practice versus game time.

Frankly this is a long bet and we are under-manned against the top tier teams we will face. Some we will crunch out, but we are a sprained ankle away from losing back-to-back games against average opponents.

--------------

Very scary at game start looking over to the UConn bench and people asking, "where's Geno". Maybe the announcers said something before we got in, maybe the people on TV got an update. I tuned on the Internet and went to the Boneyard to get the update, but Geno & CD both may be on our injured reserve list.

Bless them all and godspeed development of the under-classmen whom we so desperately need.

Reaction Score
1. Fans are living in the past - spoiled. I stand by this, so tear me apart too if you like.
Truly, whenever I feel myself getting too worked up about a loss, I remind myself that even the great Stewart era included a few losses. :oops: There are still so many teams who would love to be us and we are still the benchmark for greatness.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure they are going to be very cautious with Azzi..........I don't expect to see her as a starter until the middle of January regardless of how the rest of the team is doing...........losing her for the season would be the end of UConn's chances at an NC
So 3-6 weeks is now at least 7? Please share your sources.

Reaction Score
Maybe but keeping her out unnecessarily long could end UConn’s chances by diminishing her confidence and ability to get back into the form she was in before the injury. It’s whatever’s best for Azzi physically and mentally/emotionally and being overly cautious can be just as dangerous and do her and the team a huge disservice.

Reaction Score
I'm just really concerned with the continuous onslaught of injuries. Now Amari and Ines. It's not just getting back, it's playing together, developing a constant rotation, getting players their rest periods during the game, getting better as a team by playing with all players on the team, and finally being healthy in general. I think this brutal OOC schedule has proven to be highly counter productive. The Big East is not the AAC. There are some easy games but some very challenging ones, especially away. I'm happy we are starting those games now but we are a tired team already. That's because of the schedule at least in part in my view and by that I mean Friday home, take a plane, Sunday away against a ranked team. What did we gain? We knew we could beat anyone when we were healthy. Now we aren't. Will we be? Yes, but will we be where we would have been without these injuries( excluding Paige and Ice)? That's the $64,000.00 question, to show my age, in my mind.
BBallF: - - -When the schedule was being setup over the last couple of years it was made for the full lineup we would have this season!
No one could foresee the rash of injuries UCONN would have over the last 2 years so our depleted girls are faced with a really tough stretch of games!
Our FULL lineup would welcome this competition!

Reaction Score
Maybe but keeping her out unnecessarily long could end UConn’s chances by diminishing her confidence and ability to get back into the form she was in before the injury. It’s whatever’s best for Azzi physically and mentally/emotionally and being overly cautious can be just as dangerous and do her and the team a huge disservice.
Bring Nika in as soon as she was medically cleared worked well. Dorka was held a little bit longer (still recuperating that thumb) and that also worked well. With Azzi who knows? Once Azzi is medically cleared the coaching staff is faced with a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. But that's why we pay them the big bucks.

Reaction Score
BBallF: - - -When the schedule was being setup over the last couple of years it was made for the full lineup we would have this season!
No one could foresee the rash of injuries UCONN would have over the last 2 years so our depleted girls are faced with a really tough stretch of games!
Our FULL lineup would welcome this competition!
I know that. I'm not complaining about who we are playing I am complaining about when we are playing them, specifically Friday home, plane Saturday, Sunday away. Even Geno remarked about it.

Reaction Score
We've gotten the unexpected in good ways this season thus far. We hoped that Lou would contribute, but she is killing it. We hoped that Aaliyah would return to the player she hinted at being her freshman year, and she is far exceeding that. We hoped that Nika could 'fill in at point' for a missing Paige and she is leading the nation in assists and is unquestionably the team leader. Dorka, after sitting out most of the season is back and ready to show out in her final season. We worried about our tough early season OOC schedule without Paige and Ice and we've exceeded expectations.

With all that said, we have reserves that have gotten some early challenging game experience and all shown promise. Aubrey has shown that physically she has come back with a vengeance from a year's layoff from back surgery. Caroline is fighting her way back to the player she and we know she can be. And then there is that potential POY that's been on the bench a few games that we expect back in January, Azzi!

And it's not even quite Christmas. Looking forward to wonderful 2023. We are one lucky fan base.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We've gotten the unexpected in good ways this season thus far. We hoped that Lou would contribute, but she is killing it. We hoped that Aaliyah would return to the player she hinted at being her freshman year, and she is far exceeding that. We hoped that Nika could 'fill in at point' for a missing Paige and she is leading the nation in assists and is unquestionably the team leader. Dorka, after sitting out most of the season is back and ready to show out in her final season. We worried about our tough early season OOC schedule without Paige and Ice and we've exceeded expectations.

With all that said, we have reserves that have gotten some early challenging game experience and all shown promise. Aubrey has shown that physically she has come back with a vengeance from a year's layoff from back surgery. Caroline is fighting her way back to the player she and we know she can be. And then there is that potential POY that's been on the bench a few games that we expect back in January, Azzi!

And it's not even quite Christmas. Looking forward to wonderful 2023. We are one lucky fan base.
Wonderful sentiment! Now you’ve got me dreaming of wondrous outcomes.

Just imagine if — through some surprising sequence of events — we were to win the NC and the pillars of the team turned out to be the only ones who made it through the season more or less uninjured: Nika Aaliyah Lou. That would be unexpected. Could we be so stacked that even hobbled we could engineer an NC?

Obviously, lots of things would have to break our way. But it looks like we have three core components that could be central to any championship team — and the feistiest floor general anyone could want.

Reaction Score
So 3-6 weeks is now at least 7? Please share your sources.
simply my opinion.............it seems to me that generally, UConn gives players a bit of extra time to heal as in Dorka's case where originally she could have been available earlier based on initial estimates..........I'd take an additional loss if I knew the extra time would improve Azzi's chances to play for the remainder of the season.........every player heals at their own pace so I don't think that even the doctors can do more than estimate when a player will be ready to play......

Reaction Score
She should play when her body and the health pros tell her she's ready...........I would assume if they wanted to be overly cautious, we'd be talking about missing an additional game or two..........how she reacts to the layoff is hard to predict but the beauty of having great basketball technique like Azzi has is that the rust from the time off doesn't last long.......

Reaction Score

Geno is out sick
Lou sore foot
Dorka recovering from an injury and during the post-game conference said she was tired

We are short of scorers/shooters and ball handlers. We saw a very short bench again yesterday forcing our players to play long minutes. They were tired and foul trouble caused them to back off on defense because there wasn't much of a bench. Chris chooses to back off on defense and give them the open trey. I agree. We needed to back off because we were tired and in foul trouble with no bench. Think about it. We had one substitute. When you give Lou a rest you put in a player who is not an outside threat. Defenses collapse in the middle and dare you to shoot from the outside. That makes it tough for Aaliyah Dorka Griff and Patterson to score down low and almost eliminates their dribble drive. We once again saw a defense putting pressure on Nika forcing her to get rid of the ball to a player who may not be as good of a ballhandler. A lack of ball handlers results in picking up your dribble and either a steal or a TO. This is where we're at for a while.

The only answer is to get healthy and we are. Caroline is looking better and we have to survive the next month or so without Azzi. I for one don't know what to expect. We are a depleted team and are winning. That's a huge accomplishment. It hasn't always looked like the UConn team we are used to seeing and that gives you an idea of how resilient this team is. Yesterday we were running on fumes in the 3rd qtr. Tired run down and not much time to rest. Coming back from injuries makes it even harder to play long minutes. Without a bench and being run down, you accumulate fouls that force you to back off defensively, like FLST hitting wide-open 3-pointers.

We have been able to survive. I believe we have a few more weeks to go before we can get back on track. On track means Caroline gets up to speed and score like we know she can and the return of Azzi will also need time to catch her breath and get up to speed. That will give us two more really good scorers and that will open things up for us.

For now, we don't know what to expect so expect the unexpected. Some how some way we have found a way to win. I would expect other teams to pick up on what has happened to UConn. I would also expect that Geno will come up with plays to open things up. With that said I hope Geno is back soon.

I don't expect any game to be easy which will only make us suffer when we get everybody healthy. We have shot the ball well, rebounded well and we have made a very good percentage from the line, and that in itself is amazing for a team that is a little run down. We need to cut down on the turnovers and steals, which is accomplished by not picking up our dribble.

And yet we are winning it shows the talent and determination of this team and Geno's ability to coach. I for one can't wait until next year when this team is going to be a beast with probably at a minimum 8 future WNBA players on the team..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom