Expansion Annoucement | The Boneyard

Expansion Annoucement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, this is probably the best of a bad situation. But I guess I'm still hoping this somehow gets turned into an ACC invite for UConn.
To that end: Does Notre Dame want to keep its non-football sports in this newly configured big east? What would the BE conference have to degenerate to for them to pursue joining a conference for all sports?

Reaction Score
Great! Now when are they really going to make an "official announcement?" Wednesday will probably go something like this "We're here today to give an update to all fans of the Big East. We intend to make an announcement in the near future, which could be in 20 minutes or on a Tuesday but not until we have worked out all the details or until everyone has left the football conference, which every comes first. Thank you for your continue support!"

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, this is probably the best of a bad situation. But I guess I'm still hoping this somehow gets turned into an ACC invite for UConn.
To that end: Does Notre Dame want to keep its non-football sports in this newly configured big east? What would the conference have to degenerate to for them to pursue a conference?
So if the reporters and analysts and bloggers are right, ND would be unhappy with their olympic sports playing in an East Coast Catholic league, and we know they were happy with the current BE configuration. We also know they were working to facilitate the western expansion for football (they were working on Boise and BYU) out of the interest of keeping the football league together. Obviously, they were doing this only to stabilize the league overall, to reduce the chances that UConn, Louisville or Rutgers decided to leave. They were doing this after Pitt, SU and WVU had all publicly stood up and said "we're leaving", and after the catholic schools had supposedly said that they would break off if either UConn or Louisville left.

So I don't have anything concrete to answer your question, but it would seem a lot depends on the actions of the catholic schools and whether they would follow through with their pledge to break off if Louisville heads to the BXII or if the ACC decides to make a precipitous move by going for UConn (or Louisville for that matter) to force ND's hand. Would ND call the bluff of St. John's/GTown/Nova/PC? (Uh, and Seton Hall and Marquette, I guess. I also feel bad for not having mentioned USF's name in there somewhere...)

Reaction Score
To that end: Does Notre Dame want to keep its non-football sports in this newly configured big east? What would the conference have to degenerate to for them to pursue a conference?
Don't sell short the influence and input ND had on specifically who we should be adding for all sports. If we add UCF, SMU, and Houston for all sports, ND definitely blessed it well in advance. They replaced road trips in BB from Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Morgantown with trips to Orlando, Dallas, and Houston. Don't be surprised if they schedule a FB home and home with Houston and play the "away" game at Reliant stadium to a split gate. Or a home and home v. SMU to play the "away" game at Jerry World with a split gate. ND is Oz, pulling the strings of the BE from behind the curtain.

Reaction Score
"ND is Oz, pulling the strings of the BE from behind the curtain.[/quote]

That's not necessarily a bad thing, by the way.

Reaction Score
Don't sell short the influence and input ND had on specifically who we should be adding for all sports. If we add UCF, SMU, and Houston for all sports, ND definitely blessed it well in advance. They replaced road trips in BB from Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Morgantown with trips to Orlando, Dallas, and Houston. Don't be surprised if they schedule a FB home and home with Houston and play the "away" game at Reliant stadium to a split gate. Or a home and home v. SMU to play the "away" game at Jerry World with a split gate. ND is Oz, pulling the strings of the BE from behind the curtain.
This is why the Big East is a joke - because ND should have no say at all concerning football.

Reaction Score
This is why the Big East is a joke - because ND should have no say at all concerning football.
the big east is a joke because of the bad football, small fanbases, lack of prestige, and complete lack of trust between member organizations. ND is a symptom, not the disease.

Reaction Score
the big east is a joke because of the bad football, small fanbases, lack of prestige, and complete lack of trust between member organizations. ND is a symptom, not the disease.

Please stop making short, coherent, to the point posts in these forums. It just confuses things.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything but the bad football part. The Big East has the problem, and it is a huge one, of lacking a dominant program or two...no Texas or Oklahoma or Ohio State or Michigan to always compete for the league championship (except when on probation for something). The PAC 10 went through something very similar in the 1990s pre-Pete Carroll reviving USC. Pretty much anybody could and did win the conference even Washington State. But I think the bowl performance shows that outside the top, when you match mid-level Big East teams against mid-level teams from any conference the big East is pretty much equal or better. the problem is that we needed another Miami. It never materialized.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything but the bad football part. The Big East has the problem, and it is a huge one, of lacking a dominant program or two...no Texas or Oklahoma or Ohio State or Michigan to always compete for the league championship (except when on probation for something). The PAC 10 went through something very similar in the 1990s pre-Pete Carroll reviving USC. Pretty much anybody could and did win the conference even Washington State. But I think the bowl performance shows that outside the top, when you match mid-level Big East teams against mid-level teams from any conference the big East is pretty much equal or better. the problem is that we needed another Miami. It never materialized.

this year, it's been bad football. there is no way to sugar coat that.

we've had a couple good years, but you're essentially bragging that we are the best of the mediocre.

which only reinforces the point in my post.

Reaction Score

we've had a couple good years, but you're essentially bragging that we are the best of the mediocre.
I agree it has been bad this year. But that happens in every conference from time to time. The difference is that when it happens in the Big 10, Northwestern beat out big names Ohio State and Michigan. When it happens in the B-12, Kansas State beat out household names Texas and Oklahoma. even if all of those teams are just fair, even bad, to the casual fan, the fact that you beat them is a big deal. When it happens in the Big East the winner is somebody you haven't heard of and they beat out a bunch of people you never heard of either. That is a huge issue and has been since Miami left. Had West Virginia or Louisville kept their respective coaches and continued to be major players, and I was really hoping they would have done just that, the perspective might be different. They didn't. so it is what it is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Big 12 has dominated, going 27-3 non-conference, including 6-3 against the other majors and no bad losses. The SEC was strong at 42-6, although most of those wins came against Sun Belt, MAC and 1AA opponents, as usual. Very few road games, a bunch of close wins over bad teams where there was questionable officiating, mostly par for the course stuff with the SEC.

The other 4 leagues are pretty tightly bunched. The Big East went .500 against the ACC, as it does every year, and 5 of the 6 games were decided by a TD or less. SDSU, Boise, UCF, SMU and Houston went 4-3 against the majors. The SEC has pulled away from the pack on the backs of a couple of programs, lots of home games and biased officiating. most years everyone else is in a pretty tight range.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has dominated, going 27-3 non-conference, including 6-3 against the other majors and no bad losses. The SEC was strong at 42-6, although most of those wins came against Sun Belt, MAC and 1AA opponents, as usual. Very few road games, a bunch of close wins over bad teams where there was questionable officiating, mostly par for the course stuff with the SEC.

The other 4 leagues are pretty tightly bunched. The Big East went .500 against the ACC, as it does every year, and 5 of the 6 games were decided by a TD or less. SDSU, Boise, UCF, SMU and Houston went 4-3 against the majors. The SEC has pulled away from the pack on the backs of a couple of programs, lots of home games and biased officiating. most years everyone else is in a pretty tight range.

This does nothing to refute the point in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom