Expand the Rent. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Expand the Rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Expansion won't happen until UConn sells out two seasons and raises ticket prices at least once if not twice.

Then there's a solid market. More likely attendance dips this season

If football attendance dips this season with a home schedule including Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, and Louisville, then the athletic department marketing arm needs to be replaced and we probably do not deserve an invite to another conference.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If football attendance dips this season with a home schedule including Michigan, Maryland, Rutgers, and Louisville, then the athletic department marketing arm needs to be replaced and we probably do not deserve an invite to another conference.

I was about to type the exact same thing. There is no chance that attendance dips with the best home schedule UConn has ever had. It *might* in 2014 because of our fanbase apathy for our new conference schedule, but the out of conference schedule is good with BYU and Boise. Plus, it's a Cincinnati home year so those are 3 good games on the home schedule.

If attendance dips in 2013, I agree with you UConnJim. Might as well shut down the program, ala Nelson's wishes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) We would need state money to expand a stadium that the state owns.

2) Naming rights can be sold after 2018, but it's the state that would sell them - UConn would have to get a cut and the state would also have to make sure that the naming rights deal squares with the tax-exempt status of the bonds.

3) It is worth expanding the stadium? Unless we think that the Big 12 is going to call, conference realignment is over for the foreseeable future and likely will not need an extra 10,000 seats for Tulane and SMU.

I'd rather let the Rent be and look into the (probably unlikely) possibility of building something on campus down the road.

Reaction Score
Wrong.

A simple refinance of the original Bond would yield plenty of money at acceptable Debt Service Coverage Ratios to expand the 10-15,000 seats we had planned. We are far beyond the original projections of revenue & interest rates are signicantly lower. A large amount of proceeds have been available for several years.

Second, the Louisville & Rutgers expanding stadiums was a red light for us. We had a far better financial structure - we did nothing. We looked Small. They didn't.

So ... The PR issue is the primary impediment. Hard to sell the expansion Today when we are out of the BCS conference. Hard to have traction as the AAC member.

Campus? I just don't see it. I know enought about the Storrs Center project to understand that you just aren't going to get far.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. An on-campus stadium will not be built for a long, long time. It's too bad because there is a ton of land out there and I would LOVE an opportunity to go back to campus 6-7 times a year!

Horsebarn Hill:

horsebarn.png

Reaction Score
I can't understand the naysayers on expanding the Rent. It is not that costly and would not need state money. Also, probably the biggest reason we didn't get an invite to the ACC is that people perceive our football program to be small time. Small stadium, short history, small fanbase. It is up to UConn to prove otherwise that we can build a fan base and act big time. Over the next ten years, do you think other schools are going to wait for an invite to expand or improve their stadiums or continue to expand their fan bases? Of course not. Can they pass us by during the next expansion round? Yes.

Bottom line is we can't wait for an invite and we can't promise what we will do if we get an invite. We have to prove to everyone that we are big time and we are the most attractive expansion candidate.
Let's get to the bottom line. What would adding 15-20,000 seats to the Rent cost? You keep talking about the financing, yada, yada, yada, but what would it actually cost. I'm not interested in potential offsets, etc. What is the cost? By the way, we have no way of knowing since it hasn't gone out for bid. However, I thought since you have done a cba on this project you would at least have some pie in the sky estimate fromsomeone on what the cost might be. Well?

Reaction Score
1) We would need state money to expand a stadium that the state owns.

2) Naming rights can be sold after 2018, but it's the state that would sell them - UConn would have to get a cut and the state would also have to make sure that the naming rights deal squares with the tax-exempt status of the bonds.

3) It is worth expanding the stadium? Unless we think that the Big 12 is going to call, conference realignment is over for the foreseeable future and likely will not need an extra 10,000 seats for Tulane and SMU.

I'd rather let the Rent be and look into the (probably unlikely) possibility of building something on campus down the road.

There you go again trying to be reasonable. Don't you understand that a good portion of the base is delusional? The BY relies on them for it's existence. Comic relief and unreasonable hope, that's what we need at this juncture.

Reaction Score
Let's get to the bottom line. What would adding 15-20,000 seats to the Rent cost? You keep talking about the financing, yada, yada, yada, but what would it actually cost. I'm not interested in potential offsets, etc. What is the cost? By the way, we have no way of knowing since it hasn't gone out for bid. However, I thought since you have done a cba on this project you would at least have some pie in the sky estimate fromsomeone on what the cost might be. Well?

My estimate? Since the Rent cost $91 million to build (includes 40k seats, the parking lots, press boxes, luxury boxes, club seats, the bathrooms... and it was designed for the future expansion, I'm estimating ~$30 mill to add 10k seats in an upper deck. I think that is a good ballpark estimate.

Reaction Score
My estimate? Since the Rent cost $91 million to build (includes 40k seats, the parking lots, press boxes, luxury boxes, club seats, the bathrooms... and it was designed for the future expansion, I'm estimating ~$30 mill to add 10k seats in an upper deck. I think that is a good ballpark estimate.
But the question was what would it cost to add 15-20,000 seats. Why bother with 10,000. On one hand, using the original cost as a base isn't a bad idea, however, construction costs tend to go up over time. That said, as we still are still mired in a recession regardless what lies Obama tells us, construction costs may be cheaper than they would normally be right now. However, once again, the only way we know for sure is to put it out for bids. We all know that isn't happening unless we are added to a major conference with the stipulation that we expand the stadium. By then we may be in a recovery and construction costs will be going up. Who knows.

Reaction Score
But the question was what would it cost to add 15-20,000 seats. Why bother with 10,000. On one hand, using the original cost as a base isn't a bad idea, however, construction costs tend to go up over time. That said, as we still are still mired in a recession regardless what lies Obama tells us, construction costs may be cheaper than they would normally be right now. However, once again, the only way we know for sure is to put it out for bids. We all know that isn't happening unless we are added to a major conference with the stipulation that we expand the stadium. By then we may be in a recovery and construction costs will be going up. Who knows.

I think $30 million is a reasonable estimate especially since the Rent was designed and built for easy expansion. Why 10k seats? It seems like 50k is the minimum size to be considered adequate for big time football. Both Rutgers and Louisville expanded from the 40s to above 50k.

As for attendance, I don't think being in the AAC should influence our need to build the fan base. We have to get more fans to the games. I also think we could have gotten close to 50k for Michigan and would do the same for Tennessee. Maybe Boise if they are top 10.

Reaction Score
Horsebarn Hill:

horsebarn.png
Seriously, there are miles and miles and miles of NOTHING on that side of 195. The Storrs Downtown area is coming together quite nicely and like others have said add some hotels and a couple larger family style restaurants. Allow visitor fans to get some "World Famous Wooster Pizza." The Dairy Bar(how is it possible they don't sell Dairy Bar ice cream at the Rent?). There is so much to offer for a gameday experience at UConn that there just isn't in East Hartford.

Reaction Score
We need to expand the stadium just for perception purposes. Until our stadium is 55K, it is hard to consider us big time. If Warde can schedule more big time opponents like Michigan etc, we should have no reason not to get better season ticket sales if we tie those marquee games to that.

We need to be proactive and expand the stadium. AAC would have been smart if they added a Western flank but they are not. We would be in better shape had Boise stayed etc. but they left. UCONN has to take care of ourselves and that means invest in football heavily going forward until the next realignment comes around.

Reaction Score
I think $30 million is a reasonable estimate especially since the Rent was designed and built for easy expansion. Why 10k seats? It seems like 50k is the minimum size to be considered adequate for big time football. Both Rutgers and Louisville expanded from the 40s to above 50k.

As for attendance, I don't think being in the AAC should influence our need to build the fan base. We have to get more fans to the games. I also think we could have gotten close to 50k for Michigan and would do the same for Tennessee. Maybe Boise if they are top 10.
History repeats itself? Gampel was obsolete the day it was opened. They went with the bare minimum and were forced to expand a few years later. It should have been for about 12,ooo with a hockey rink as originally discussed. I'm not saying we should expand at this time. frankly as you've seen, there is no reason to in my mind. However, when the time comes to expand, let's do it right. You can't be pennywise and dollar foolish. In fact we are 10 years into this stadium. Maybe they wait 20 years and build a new one instead of expanding. Just a thought. In fact, after you make your big donation for it they just might name it "The UConn Jim Joint"!

Reaction Score
Seriously, there are miles and miles and miles of NOTHING on that side of 195. The Storrs Downtown area is coming together quite nicely and like others have said add some hotels and a couple larger family style restaurants. Allow visitor fans to get some "World Famous Wooster Pizza." The Dairy Bar(how is it possible they don't sell Dairy Bar ice cream at the Rent?). There is so much to offer for a gameday experience at UConn that there just isn't in East Hartford.
Of course, East Hartford offers highway exits right next to the stadium so that it takes just a few minutes to get to your parking spots. Back ups on the highway a minimal at best. Let's be honest, what are 195 and 44 like before and especially after a 10,000 attendence basketball game? Can you even begin to imagine what it would be like after a 60,000 attendence football game? Yes I know that some people will tailgate for awhile (of course where is another issue), but still, it will be real ugly.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious, Just because you have lots of land, how do you think a stadium can be built there? For one, there's earth that has to be moved, utilities put in, there are no bathrooms in that picture. The nearest road is at least a dozen yards away.The grass is too green, the cows too friendly. What about people wanting to cross the street from towers? The crosswalk there can never accomodate thousands of fans. It also snows. Where will you put the snow?

Horsebarn Hill:

horsebarn.png

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here is Penn State's gameday traffic and parking plans: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...13/misc_non_event/12_PreGame_Traffic_Flow.pdf. If Penn State can jam 100,000 people into some small podunk of a town in central PA, then I'm positive that UConn can figure out a way to get 60,000+ people into a small podunk town in eastern CT. Widen 195 and 44 by 2-4 lanes and have traffic flow one-way in 5 of 6 lanes (similar to Gillette Stadium) depending on if it is before or after the game. Instead of building hotels in East Hartford next to a Cabella's, build them in Storrs for visiting fans, conference centers, and campus activities.

Until then, UConn (or whoever manages the Rent) absolutely, positively MUST open a Dairy Bar stand this year. UConn pride!

Reaction Score
History repeats itself? Gampel was obsolete the day it was opened. They went with the bare minimum and were forced to expand a few years later. It should have been for about 12,ooo with a hockey rink as originally discussed. I'm not saying we should expand at this time. frankly as you've seen, there is no reason to in my mind. However, when the time comes to expand, let's do it right. You can't be pennywise and dollar foolish. In fact we are 10 years into this stadium. Maybe they wait 20 years and build a new one instead of expanding. Just a thought. In fact, after you make your big donation for it they just might name it "The UConn Jim Joint"!

Maybe I will! Bottom line, it seems the line between big time and small time is 50k. Adding 10k will suffice.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We built it small time with the supposed capability to expand. Have not heard any talk of expanding. We are the AHL of the NCAA. Small time. How do we do this (expand the Rent) without a sugardaddy?

Reaction Score
For those wanting multi year sellouts, etc., here is the recent history of Louisville's stadium:

2006: attendance 41,482, capacity 42,000
2007: attendance 39,881, capacity 42,000
2008: attendance 39,680, capacity 42,000
2009: attendance 32,450, capacity 42,000
2010: attendance 50,648, capacity 55,000
2011: attendance 48,654, capacity 55,000

Louisville expanded without a sold out stadium and they forced the athletic department to sell the new capacity, which they have with some success. And guess what? They got the ACC invite and UConn didn't.

Literally, we are talking chump change ($2 mill/yr.) to bring the Rent to a respectable 50k capacity and some people are wining and complaining. I would bet that everyone at Louisville is happy they expanded their stadium. Guys, we have to expand.

CL82

Reaction Score
There you go again trying to be reasonable. Don't you understand that a good portion of the base is delusional?
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
...or are they?

CL82

Reaction Score
You can't be serious, Just because you have lots of land, how do you think a stadium can be built there? For one, there's earth that has to be moved, utilities put in, there are no bathrooms in that picture. The nearest road is at least a dozen yards away.The grass is too green, the cows too friendly. What about people wanting to cross the street from towers? The crosswalk there can never accomodate thousands of fans. It also snows. Where will you put the snow?

Dude! What the heck are you talking about?! You can't be serious!
The_Sarcasm_Detector_by_nerdsloth.jpg

Oh wait, you aren't...never mind.

Reaction Score
Of course, East Hartford offers highway exits right next to the stadium so that it takes just a few minutes to get to your parking spots. Back ups on the highway a minimal at best. Let's be honest, what are 195 and 44 like before and especially after a 10,000 attendence basketball game? Can you even begin to imagine what it would be like after a 60,000 attendence football game? Yes I know that some people will tailgate for awhile (of course where is another issue), but still, it will be real ugly.
I've sat for long times on the off ramp at 384 exit 1. IT WILL BE WORTH IT BECAUSE THE GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE WILL BE EXPONENTIALLY BETTER. Even if you don't tailgate after you can hang around campus, grab food at a place that isn't Kahoots or Margarita's.

Reaction Score
On-campus might be reasonable when we start flying cars. I am content with the Hockey East for the time being. We have a 15 year window to get into the B1G. That's way too much time. Geno will very likely be the John Wooden of women's basketball very soon.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of people here talking about stadium expansion in terms of how many seats are needed based on demand. That's not the way to look at it. Even if the seats aren't needed, we should still build. It doesn't take a lot to maintain a really big stadium compared to a small stadium. Think how awesome it would be to see that really big stadium. You could go up to the top and see for a long way.

We don't have to build the whole thing at once. We can just keep adding on and make it bigger and bigger. We don't have to tear down the old one and start new. We just add on.

I think we can add 20 to 30 thousand seats per year. To do this, we need the legislature to provide the funding. This is where Malloy needs to step in and provide some leadership for a change. He needs to get off his keister and get the ball rolling.

Right now, the Rent holds 40,000. So in 15 years when the Big 10 is ready to expand, we would have a capacity of 415,000 by my calculations assuming we add 25,000 seats a year.

Michigan has the biggest stadium at a capacity of 109,901. Ours would be 415,000. Our stadium would be 3.78 times as big as Michigan's. Think how awesome that would be. You would have different climate at the top. It might snow up there during the summer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've sat for long times on the off ramp at 384 exit 1. IT WILL BE WORTH IT BECAUSE THE GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE WILL BE EXPONENTIALLY BETTER. Even if you don't tailgate after you can hang around campus, grab food at a place that isn't Kahoots or Margarita's.

Exponentally better because you can grab food? That better be some pretty great food to make up for the extra hours and gas you will have to waste being stuck in traffic for miles and miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom