Exit Fee Passes, But There's A Catch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Exit Fee Passes, But There's A Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Or that Boise wants to know that Air Force is in. AFA wants Navy. Navy wants to know what it is getting into. Which again, brings us back to the question, what's up with the $10MM exit fee? It's not enough to keep anyone in the conference. It must symbolize something. What?
It was what the service academies wanted as a starting off point. They will have plenty of provisos in any contracts they sign which gives them outs. I'm happy the BE universities are at least moving in unison on this. $10 million dollars is not trump change. And there is still the issue of 27 months. So this commitment is not etched in stone, but it is moving in a positive direction.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
fleudslip, you forgot the hashtag. Please remember to include it in your jokes, or we will have to #BegHarder for you to remember it!
I forgot to add it originally but edited it after.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The statement quoted implies that the $5mm increase in itself will be sufficient to satisfy Navy but the article even states the Middies are concerned about the possibility of the BE losing a core member and all things considered, it is possible that Navy's heart was never in this.

As it now appears the lynchpin in the plan (as things appeared a few weeks ago, football onlies carrying most of the freight to make expansion less intrusive) is the service academies, there is not a lot of cause for confidence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why any school is basing their decision on joining the league for an extra 5 million for the exit fee.

Hell Burton could cough that up AND get to pick a new coach.

Pretty rediculous if you ask me.
Because that was the most that anyone would give.

Reaction Score
Personally, I do like this new conference. I hope some TV exec steps up and preserves this possibility for the Big East. I am a UConn grad with a buisness administration degree. From a business perspective for the schools in this conference, the financial potential is emormous for the athletic departments. It would have the largest amount of people covered and possibly interested in the games out of any conference in the country.

Reaction Score
Personally, I do like this new conference. I hope some TV exec steps up and preserves this possibility for the Big East. I am a UConn grad with a buisness administration degree. From a business perspective for the schools in this conference, the financial potential is emormous for the athletic departments. It would have the largest amount of people covered and possibly interested in the games out of any conference in the country.

I honestly do agree with you. I know some of the teams are not number 1 in their markets but for the most part they are located in population centers much closer to most of the people than the traditional big name schools. The problem with the other conferences is that they are geographically limited. They overcome that by having traditional schools but for many fans like me who want a local rooting interest they don't hold all that much allure. Before UConn moved up I rarely even watched college football. It was all about basketball season for me. I never would have cared who won any game or who the national champion was more than just out of curiosity. I know a lot of UConn fans who were the same way. Now, I'm almost into college football more than basketball so actually having a team that you want to root for can raise interest quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Something tells me the Big East will sue the

ACC for trying to destroy the Big East

ESPN for advising the ACC on how to destroy the Big East

BIG 12 for trying to destroy the Big East when they grab UL & WVU.

SEC for taking Misery and aTm causing the Big 12 to try and destroy the Big East by taking UL and WVU.

B1G for taking Nebraska, causing the the PAC 12/14/16 to take.......ok...I've had enough.

Breaking News....one final lawsuit. President Herbst has filed slander/liable charges against Waylon. She stated "I'm no beggar"!!

Reaction Score
I honestly do agree with you. I know some of the teams are not number 1 in their markets but for the most part they are located in population centers much closer to most of the people than the traditional big name schools. The problem with the other conferences is that they are geographically limited. They overcome that by having traditional schools but for many fans like me who want a local rooting interest they don't hold all that much allure. Before UConn moved up I rarely even watched college football. It was all about basketball season for me. I never would have cared who won any game or who the national champion was more than just out of curiosity. I know a lot of UConn fans who were the same way. Now, I'm almost into college football more than basketball so actually having a team that you want to root for can raise interest quite a bit.
UConn's athletic department filled the hole left by the Whalers. Sizeable difference is the sports used to replace the NHL franchise are more popular.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am a little confused by the story. Why wouldn't the football schools tie UCF, SMU and Houston to the revised exit fee, since those are the ones the basketball schools have to approve? I am going to assume that they are tied in.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The increase is to get Navy to commit (which will in turn bring in Air Force). UCF would accept if there was no departure fee. I'm not sure how Houston or SMU feel about this but it is still up in the air if they are getting invitations (until after the service academies are settled).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The increase is to get Navy to commit (which will in turn bring in Air Force). UCF would accept if there was no departure fee. I'm not sure how Houston or SMU feel about this but it is still up in the air if they are getting invitations (until after the service academies are settled).

I am less concerned with what UCF, Houston and SMU want then what the trigger should be for the exit fee to kick in. Why not set the trigger higher? You can always renegotiate it later.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
They had to set it at a level that would receive a quick agreement. An increase that would have led to weeks of debate and haggling would had done nobody any good.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
There never was any money!

It's a complicated case. Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.

The-Big-Lebowski_KB_Jeff-Bridges_jelly-shoes.bmp.jpg

And I would...like...my undies back.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
this is known as CYA

which is also an indication that the members are thinking what we already know, the landscape is unstable.

why sign a contract to pay an exit fee to the basketball schools?

Reaction Score
Personally, I do like this new conference.quote]

personally, i'd rather be in this theoretical conference than the ACC. i'd rather be a leader in the NNBE than a lackey in the ACC. does anyone really think the move to the ACC has worked out for BC? if they stayed Matt Ryan probably would have taken them to the Orange Bowl instead of trips to Boise. BC has played in 2 ACC championship games if i recall and had been one of the best nACC teams for the first few years and all they have to show for it is a rule that keeps the ACC bowls from dicking them as badly as they did previously

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For those trying to keep up, the vote last night is just the next necessary step in a complex dance of positioning and posturing before the quickening (80's movie reference alert).

The vote sets up Navy and to join, once Missouri/SEC moves and the B12 moves. If everyone is still here, then the ACC moves. If everyone is still here, then Navy/ can join. UCF, SMU and Houston have likely indicated yes and have been told to standby at the behest of the BB schools until everything plays.out.

Additional moves by the B1G, P12 or ND and we are back to square one.

There are so many moving parts to this. Everyone is waiting there turn so as to not over commit themselves. Each step could take months.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ctchamps

Reaction Score
For those trying to keep up, the vote last night is just the next necessary step in a complex dance of positioning and posturing before the quickening (80's movie reference alert).

The vote sets up Navy and to join, once Missouri/SEC moves and the B12 moves. If everyone is still here, then the ACC moves. If everyone is still here, then Navy/ can join. UCF, SMU and Houston have likely indicated yes and have been told to standby at the behest of the BB schools until everything plays.out.

Additional moves by the B1G, P12 or ND and we are back to square one.

There are so many moving parts to this. Everyone is waiting there turn so as to not over commit themselves. Each step could take months.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Here's some moving parts I like. Maybe #BegHarder might like them as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLUlRGj33UM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds