Exhibition: UConn vs St. Francis Xavier, 10/1/16 | The Boneyard

Exhibition: UConn vs St. Francis Xavier, 10/1/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone planning to attend Saturday's game? No charge to attend.

Interested to see the line combinations. Especially, who is playing on the top line with Letunov and Thompson.

Going to be fun to finally see top recruit Adam Huska in between the pipes. I really believe he has a solid chance to overtake Nichols.

Six NHL draft picks on the roster this year.

Reaction Score
I'll be there. Then going to isles vs capitals preseason game @ Webster later that night.

Pumped for the season.

Interesting to see how Benedict and the aspire group markets the hockey team. I'm scared because he called a hockey game a "match"on the radio, but I'm sure he'll learn.

I don't know if they had this last year, but I guess UConn is auditioning for fan captains or whatever kinda like they do for bball. Hope we get some more students to show up on sat and the rest of season and start creating some new and unique chants and cheers for the UConn games.

1158 for queens last year.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see how Benedict and the aspire group markets the hockey team. I'm scared because he called a hockey game a "match"on the radio, but I'm sure he'll learn.
Got a call from UConn regarding a function for the current and past season ticket holders Wednesday next week I think. Seems like they are making the effort.

Reaction Score
Not many students. Saw most of them partying on the way in

Payusov had a nice pass

Reaction Score
Mostly Thompson in the 1sr period. Shots 8-9 st fx. 1-0 them.

ST Francis looks like they have a lot of older players.

Nichols in the 1st huska now for the 2nd

Reaction Score
Goal by freshman newpower and Thompson to make it 4-3 st xm. 3 min left

Reaction Score
Wasn't Newpower, it was Howell then Thompson.
Was anyone at the game ? How did UCONN really look ?

Reaction Score
The second was by Howell, not Newpower. Newpower was kicked out of the game early in the third for a high stick to the head.

Reaction Score
Some observations from the game:

1. Before his game misconduct early in the third, freshman Wyatt Newpower was on the ice a lot. He was the defenseman with the top line of Letunov, Thompson, and Payusov, was on the first power play unit, and was part of the penalty kill unit. Seems the coaches like him a lot.

2. Payusov is going to be really, really good. Played on the top line with Letunov and Thompson. He has speed and a lot of skill.

3. Nichols made some really nice saves in the first period, one on a breakaway. Definitely will be the starter for game one.

4. Huska was not good. The entire second period, he looked uncomfortable. Throughout the period, he had trouble catching the puck and controlling the puck. It was a disappointing performance.

5. Jeff Wight took all the faceoffs when the first power play unit of Letunov and Thompson were on the ice.

6. The team still has trouble passing out of their defensive end.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Newpower, it was Howell then Thompson.
Was anyone at the game ? How did UCONN really look ?

My bad, wasn't newpower. I was at the game. Horrible 2nd. Huska was bad. Game got good at the end there. Almost tied it up

Reaction Score
These question's are to the people who have been around the program for while.

Today's game was basically a scrimmage. Does that sound right ?

Would anyone say overall the team looked better ? Or not ?

Because IMO if they want to take the next step up.
They will need more then just 1 line. How did lines 2 thru 4 look ?
Did the other lines at least look competitive ? See any hope ?
Or did they get pushed around, out worked, out skilled, etc ?
Could they grow over the season, and be ready for the playoffs ?

I'm not looking to bash any one position or player.
I'm new to this program, and would to hear from the loyal fans of the Huskies.

Thanks for any input
F-T

Reaction Score
Technically an exhibition game. Perhaps a distinction without a difference, but sometimes scrimmages are played with rules modifications. Even more modifications with so-called "controlled scrimmages".

I was not at the game but my takeaway is that the Huska Hype was a bit premature. Nichols is the man, at least in the early going.

Reaction Score
Besides UConn being allowed to dress everyone on the team, there were no "rule modifications". It was not a "controlled scrimmage", it was an actually game.

St. Francis Xavier is a really good team. They are not pushovers.

Attendance yesterday was 1200+.

David Drake and Spencer Naas were elected the alternate captains.

These question's are to the people who have been around the program for while.

Today's game was basically a scrimmage. Does that sound right ?

Would anyone say overall the team looked better ? Or not ?

Because IMO if they want to take the next step up.
They will need more then just 1 line. How did lines 2 thru 4 look ?
Did the other lines at least look competitive ? See any hope ?
Or did they get pushed around, out worked, out skilled, etc ?
Could they grow over the season, and be ready for the playoffs ?

Thanks for any input
F-T
It is tough to say if they looked improved or not because of the NCAA practice restrictions up to this point in the season.

The problem the team has is lines 2-4 are indistinguishable. The biggest problem that needs to be worked out is establishing a consistent game in, game out 2nd and 3rd line.

I think the problem with that is lines 2-4 have too many of the same type of player. Richardson, Naas, Ojantakanen, Howell, Ronan, El-Mir, Kalter, Morgan. Their game and physical stature are virtually a carbon copy.

The biggest takeaway I had was how good Payusov is. He has a chance to be a mainstay on the top line for the next 4 years. He was really noticeable. Keep an eye out for him next weekend.

I was also surprised all the ice time Newpower had.

I would be stunned and throughly disappointed if the team is not improved from last year.

I was not at the game but my takeaway is that the Huska Hype was a bit premature. Nichols is the man, at least in the early going.
Huska will be starting a bunch of games. He had an off day yesterday but it would not surprise me to see him starting the game Saturday afternoon versus Alabama-Huntsville.

The biggest thing you notice about him is his size. He is 6'4", 200+ and takes up a lot of room.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They will get a good test next weekend. UAH on Saturday beat Ferris St. Which is a top 25 team in the rankings.

Reaction Score
Sat Oct the 8th is gonna be a busy one. Gonna try and go to all three

Cincinnati vs UConn Football @ 11:30
UAH vs UConn Hockey @ 4:05
Cincinnati vs UConn Soccer @ 7:00

Reaction Score
Sat Oct the 8th is gonna be a busy one. Gonna try and go to all three

Cincinnati vs UConn Football @ 11:30
UAH vs UConn Hockey @ 4:05
Cincinnati vs UConn Soccer @ 7:00
Don't forget about the marathon also.

Status