Exhibition games TV and/or radio? | The Boneyard

Exhibition games TV and/or radio?

Reaction Score
I believe that you can listen to both the exhibition games and the Jam here: Listen to 97.9 ESPN Live - Hartford’s Sports Leader | iHeartRadio

This is very retro, though I grew up in the era of radio as the go-to form of entertainment. As a wee lad, I'd hide under the covers past bedtime and listen to Nat Albright read play-by-play recounts of the Brooklyn Dodgers' games. Nat would tap his pencil against the mic whenever contact was made with the ball and tap it really hard for HRs. Today it feels like punishment not to see absolutely every game of any kind the UConn women play. As Geno would say: "This is the world we live in." Man up.

Reaction Score
It definitely won't be on tv, in the past they have had the exhibition games on UConn's college sports network but I don't see the games listed this year.

Reaction Score
QUESTION.... How long does it usually take to have games uploaded to huskygames.com?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any ideas?

A thought just came to me. Since no other professional media outlet is televising the exhibition games, why doesn’t UConn “live stream“ the two games like they do first night?

There are millions of fans across the country that would like to see the two games. It’s disappointing to the fan base not televise them. :( Several other programs like UNLV live stream all of their home games for free.

Most of their road games can be viewed by accessing the home school's website, and watching on their live stream portal. We’re not asking for the whole season, just 5 games. These two, and the three (Paradise Jam) in the Virgin Islands.

We go seven l-o-n-g months without UConn basketball, then they expect us to be OK with listening to the game, after having it circled on our calendar since the schedule was released.

We’re eager to SEE how our team looks and which players appear to “get it”, and are ready to play meaningful minutes this season. I don't think the University or the athletic Department realize how important these "exhibition" games are to its fans.

If UConn can live stream first night, they can live stream the two exhibition games. This is a practice that IMO should become standard operating procedure every year.

Somebody make some phone calls. It’s not too late to make this happen. Although I must admit, the closer we get to Sunday, watching this game on huskygames.com after-the-fact is becoming more of a reality with each passing day. :confused:

Postscript update - I’m very happy to report that this game WILL be live streamed (for free) through "Huskies all access". This is by far the best news I’ve read all day.

Click this link :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
A thought just came to me. Since no other professional media outlet is televising the exhibition games, why doesn’t UConn “live stream“ the two games like they do first night?

There are millions of fans across the country that would like to see the two games. It’s cruel and unusual punishment to not televise them. :( Several other programs like UNLV live stream all of their home games for free. We’re only asking for two.

We go 7 l-o-n-g months without UConn basketball, then they expect us to be OK with listening to the game, after having it circled on our calendar since the schedule was released. We’re eager to SEE how our team looks and which players appear to “get it”, and are ready to play meaningful minutes this season.

If UConn can live stream first night, they can live stream the two exhibition games. This is a practice that IMO should become standard operating procedure every year.

Somebody make some phone calls. It’s not too late to make this happen. :)

In the event the game is not televised or live streamed, those of us that could not attend the game are depending on you folks that do, to give us your analysis and a detailed report of what you observed for 40 minutes that evening, and what we can expect to see against Ohio State.

This us what they have done in the past, but I do not see the game listed this year. They would usually just use the radio play by play and the camera system used in Gampel for the jumbotron and piece together a game. It was viewable through UConn's college sports network service.

Reaction Score
I believe that you can listen to both the exhibition games and the Jam here: Listen to 97.9 ESPN Live - Hartford’s Sports Leader | iHeartRadio

This is very retro, though I grew up in the era of radio as the go-to form of entertainment. As a wee lad, I'd hide under the covers past bedtime and listen to Nat Albright read play-by-play recounts of the Brooklyn Dodgers' games. Nat would tap his pencil against the mic whenever contact was made with the ball and tap it really hard for HRs. Today it feels like punishment not to see absolutely every game of any kind the UConn women play. As Geno would say: "This is the world we live in." Man up.
For me it was is and always will be (in my memory) sports (Uconn Men/women from 1950 on only one station --TIC (the Travelers Insurance Station) AM. When they began televising the UC games ; I'd turn off the TV sound and listen to the radio. Great play by play.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For me it was is and always will be (in my memory) sports (Uconn Men/women from 1950 on only one station --TIC (the Travelers Insurance Station) AM. When they began televising the UC games ; I'd turn off the TV sound and listen to the radio. Great play by play.
Wow, BV, you've been a UConn fan a very long time.

Reaction Score
They are usually uploaded within 24 hours or so.

But don't the games have to be televised somewhere in the first place in order to be replayed? At huskygames.com, there is no active replay button for either the exhibitions or the Paradise Jam, so I'm guessing that there will be no replays available for those. It's possible that the flohoops.com filming will become available at some point, but it doesn't appear that huskygames.com will get it. Oh, the deprivation!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But don't the games have to be televised somewhere in the first place in order to be replayed? At huskygames.com, there is no active replay button for either the exhibitions or the Paradise Jam, so I'm guessing that there will be no replays available for those. It's possible that the flohoops.com filming will become available at some point, but it doesn't appear that huskygames.com will get it. Oh, the deprivation!
In prior years exhibition games were not televised live, but eventually showed up on the uconnhuskygames site. If someone is calling the games on radio, and someone is also filming the games, if for no other reason than for the coaches to do a film review with the players, then it’s likely the games will eventually show up on the website.

Reaction Score

There are millions of fans across the country that would like to see the two games. It’s cruel and unusual punishment to not televise them. :( Several other programs like UNLV live stream all of their home games for free. We’re only asking for two.

We go 7 l-o-n-g months without UConn basketball, then they expect us to be OK with listening to the game, after having it circled on our calendar since the schedule was released. We’re eager to SEE how our team looks and which players appear to “get it”, and are ready to play meaningful minutes this season.

Somebody make some phone calls. It’s not too late to make this happen. :)

In the event the game is not televised or live streamed, those of us that could not attend the game are depending on you folks that do, to give us your analysis and a detailed report of what you observed for 40 minutes that evening, and what we can expect to see against Ohio State.

If you are really in need of a UCWB game ; there is a guy with long hair and a shaggy beard that hangs around Storrs and the corner of 195. Just say--pssst, I need a fix and he'll sell you a disk.
My pet peeve is : All Uconn Games should be free! Isn't Uconn funded by the people of Connecticut--and some of us expatriots paid in too. No reason for me to be paying Espn, Plus, SNY, Directv and all the rest: games should be FREE. If your candidate isn't running with this message; Dump him/her, now.
That shaggy bearded guy will be me, be careful the Fed may be watching!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

My pet peeve is : All Uconn Games should be free! Isn't Uconn funded by the people of Connecticut--and some of us expatriots paid in too. No reason for me to be paying Espn, Plus, SNY, Directv and all the rest: games should be FREE. If your candidate isn't running with this message; Dump him/her, now.
That shaggy bearded guy will be me, be careful the Fed may be watching!!

I like it. Than we can work on that annoying 'paying for tickets' abomination. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
This us what they have done in the past, but I do not see the game listed this year. They would usually just use the radio play by play and the camera system used in Gampel for the jumbotron and piece together a game. It was viewable through UConn's college sports network service.

I'd settle for that. It's better than nothing, which is what we have now. :(

Reaction Score
In prior years exhibition games were not televised live, but eventually showed up on the uconnhuskygames site. If someone is calling the games on radio, and someone is also filming the games, if for no other reason than for the coaches to do a film review with the players, then it’s likely the games will eventually show up on the website.

Yes, they were. The last few(3-4) years at least. I can vividly remember subscribing to UConn's college sports live and then cancelling after the exhibition games.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I believe flohoops.com is going to stream the Paradise Jam. However, it is quite expensive at $29.50/month.

So, I guess the question is how bad do you want to see the Paradise games? Enough to be willing to pony up what amounts to $10 a game, or settle for waiting for them to be posted on Huskiegames.com? Are we sure those games in fact will be posted, and there will not be any copyright issues with flohoops.com? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Originally the games were broadcast via Smoke Signals. It was a lot more expensive than SNY or Direct or any web site. What made it expensive you had to hire 2 natives and one to translate-often words didn't translate; you can imagine how that came out.

Indeed, once the NCAA took over they did away with the "Smoke Talkers". :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So, I guess the question is how bad do you want to see the Paradise games? Enough to be willing to pony up $10 a game, or settle for waiting for them to be posted on Huskiegames.com? Are we sure those games in fact will be posted, and there will not be any copyright issues with flohoops.com?
I went to this tournament once, so it ended up costing me about $1250 per game each for 4 people. So IMO if you can see the games for $10 each and you’re complaining, then you really don’t want to see them very badly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom