Exhibition game #2...yes/no? | The Boneyard

Exhibition game #2...yes/no?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Fort Hays State is on Sunday November 1. Normally we have 2 exhibition games. It's getting a bit late
to sign up another team.
Do we know if Geno is trying to get one more...any info from The Horde on the topic lately?
Granted that these games are not competitive but I would think a game 2 would be:

a welcome break from regular practices for the kids
a chance to see how [all?] the newcomers blend in....or not.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fort Hays State is on Sunday November 1. Normally we have 2 exhibition games. It's getting a bit late
to sign up another team.
Do we know if Geno is trying to get one more...any info from The Horde on the topic lately?
Granted that these games are not competitive but I would think a game 2 would be:

The Fort Hays game is on Nov 7, one week before the opener against Louisville. I would also like to see a 2nd exhibition, but that would likely need to be before the Fort Hays game, and I’m not sure how many D2 teams are interested in traveling to Storrs.

Reaction Score
The Fort Hays game is on Nov 7, one week before the opener against Louisville. I would also like to see a 2nd exhibition, but that would likely need to be before the Fort Hays game, and I’m not sure how many D2 teams are interested in traveling to Storrs.
You mean Arkansas on the 14th, correct?

Reaction Score
to sign up another team.

As well, any word on when the FULL schedule will be made public?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Syracuse might qualify for a tune-up exhibition game if they can find at least five players before the game!:)
I had to look, their roster currently shows 11 players. Almost entirely transfers. Priscilla Williams is the ONLY returning player of any note. That is just unbelievable.

Reaction Score
I had to look, their roster currently shows 11 players. Almost entirely transfers. Priscilla Williams is the ONLY returning player of any note. That is just unbelievable.
Yup-I'm surprised a player of her caliber stayed. She was a top 10/15 recruit.

Reaction Score
to sign up another team.

If the freshman class is as good as they say they could scrimmage last year's squad with a few players from last year who did not get much burn being subs for both teams that would be4 better than a blowout win against a D2 or D3 school that could cause them to be over confident or let the girls scrimmage the Uconn men's team for a real live test.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As well, any word on when the FULL schedule will be made public?
In response to my email inquiry, the Big East administration said that the full and complete conference schedule will be released sometime in September. I check their website once an hour for that release. Nothing yet. Other boneyarders are checking too. It will be posted here within 10 minutes of its release.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If the freshman class is as good as they say they could scrimmage last year's squad with a few players from last year who did not get much burn being subs for both teams that would be4 better than a blowout win against a D2 or D3 school that could cause them to be over confident or let the girls scrimmage the Uconn men's team for a real live test.
I believe the current head coach is an assistant that is wearing the “interim” label. I don’t follow Syracuse WBB. A new permanent replacement for Hillsman should be hired in the coming months. Who would want to commit to a program without knowing who the head coach is going to be? They might not want to play for the new coach and vice versa.

Didn’t Kim Mulkey do a little house cleaning when she took over at LSU? I believe Kara Lawson may have suggested to a player or two that perhaps they would be better served at another program. She has brought in a lot of new players since her arrival via the portal and recruiting.

As I’m sure you know, players commit to coaches and their staff first, then the school. Not the the other way around. Did any of the former players that Geno and Chris Daley recruited commit to UConn or him? Schools don’t recruit potential recruits, coaches do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup-I'm surprised a player of her caliber stayed. She was a top 10/15 recruit.
And she definitely played like it last year, I was hoping she would leave too and have u s on her list. May not have all that great of a year this year because she is the only player the other team needs to stop

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And she definitely played like it last year, I was hoping she would leave too and have u s on her list. May not have all that great of a year this year because she is the only player the other team needs to stop
Crislynn Carr is a proven scorer at Texas Tech, she is one of the many who transferred in.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Better yet, Geno could split the roster into two equally divided (talent wise) squads and have an Intrasquad game open to the public for free. All of the players would get plenty of playing time. Geno could coach one squad, Chris Dailey the other one. The game could be live streamed by the UConn audio visual department for free.

They could generate revenue via concessions and merchandise sales. No charge for parking. An opportunity to show some good will to their fans, and say thanks for your continued support. Open seating for the game on a first come first served basis. Have the game on a Saturday so the kiddies and teenagers could attend. Every seat should be filled. Who knows, some former players just might show up as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Better yet, Geno could split the roster into two equally divided (talent wise) squads and have an Intrasquad game open to the public for free. All of the players would get plenty of playing time. Geno could coach one squad, Chris Dailey the other one. The game could be live streamed by the UConn audio visual department for free.

They could generate revenue via concessions and merchandise sales. No charge for parking. An opportunity to show some good will to their fans, and say thanks for your continued support. Open seating for the game on a first come first served basis. Have the game on a Saturday so the kiddies and teenagers could attend. Every seat should be filled. Who knows, some former players just might show up as well.
Would something like that even be allowed with respect to NCAA rules?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Would something like that even be allowed with respect to NCAA rules?
I don’t know. What rules could a free admission exhibition inter-squad game violate? :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
If I told you Geno calling a 7th grade little league baseball player in another state to wish them good luck was an NCAA violation, would you have believed it?
Ahhh, the Mo’ne Davis call. You wouldn’t think so until a coach from another program formally complained, and the NCAA was compelled to look into it.

I think if Mo’ne had not said in an interview that one day she hoped to play for Geno and UConn, “he needs to know that” she said. Nothing would have been said about it.

As it turned out, Davis does not have Division 1 basketball skills. (False alarm) She’s currently playing women’s softball at Hampton University in Virginia.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score

They could also stream it on youtube and/or twitch. I'd definitely donate/super chat, as someone who can't go watch in person.

Reaction Score
With the depth in this year's team, why do we need exhibition games? At all positions, we are 4 deep. No one on the Fort Hays team is as skilled as the last player on the UConn bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the depth in this year's team, why do we need exhibition games? At all positions, we are 4 deep. No one on the Fort Hays team is as skilled as the last player on the UConn bench.
UConn’s players go against each other in practice every day, starting with summer workouts. One reason to have exhibition games is simply to break up the routine and play against someone in a different uniform.

Reaction Score
I am surprised that there are not two exhibition games to balance the Gampel and XL season ticket offerings. However, if there is an odd number of OOC games, then it’s only possible to schedule one exhibition. UConn has to have the same number of games in those two packages.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom