Excellent BB commentators who are underappreciated or under the radar | The Boneyard

Excellent BB commentators who are underappreciated or under the radar

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Another topic for our Christmas hiatus:

I know people love to complain about the commentators who annoy them. But I'd like to pay homage to some excellent ones who deserve to be more famous (and more frequently heard) than they are.
  • Brenda VanLengen. Works for both Fox (especially Big 12 games) and ESPN/SECN. Sometimes play-by-play and sometimes color analyst. Extremely versatile and professional.
  • Christy Thomaskutty. Retired as head coach at Emory, has been working for ESPN/SECN for a couple years now. Always on-point with her observations from a former coach's perspective.
  • Eric Frede. Familiar to UConn fans, he just recently seems to be getting more national exposure on ESPN broadcasts. Fantastic PBP guy.
  • Kanoa Leahey. PBP guy for Hawai'i volleyball and basketball. Part of what many volleyball fans consider the best broadcasting team in the sport. A consummate professional.
  • Brooke Weisbrod. I'm currently listening to Brooke and Kanoa on a men's CBB game at Hawai'i. Truly a pleasure to hear such a professional and entertaining duo.
  • Dan Hughes. Fantastic color analyst. Even in the most mundane game, I always learn something when I listen to Dan talk basketball.
  • Mary Murphy. A Pac-12 Network regular. Does a great job of making an emphatic point with few words.
Who else deserves more recognition?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not familiar w/ some of those, but I agree on Weisbrod. I've definitely heard Mary Murphy call plenty of games. I would add Elise Woodward, also works for Pac-12 Network although not as regularly as Murphy.

Reaction Score
Julianne Viani is a very good analyst! She played at Marist as a PG!
I agree with above on Hughes, Weisbrod, Frede, & VanLengen!
I think Andy Landers is much better as an analyst than a HC!
There's something about Mary Murphy that turns me off! I can't pin it down.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes on VanLengen and Hughes, for sure. I liked Mary Murphy sometimes when she was doing Liberty WNBA. I don't get the PAC network, boo hiss. Also, while she is an acquired taste - Sweet V from the top of the key (Vera Jones) is entertaining and knows her basketball.

Reaction Score
Monica McNutt provided some astute, and lively, commentary during the DePaul (I think) game.

Seems as though, if she sticks with it, she could grow into a bold-faced commentator.

Plebe

Reaction Score
One name I forgot to include is Andraya Carter. Such a talent. And she really won me over a couple years ago when she gave major props to Kia Nurse’s defense on Twitter

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The pair who did the Oklahoma game - thought they set the bar real high and showed how it's possible to actually call a game, keep the fans watching completely up to date on plays, who's in, who's out, and also with lots of anecdotes that actually related to the game we were watching, not stuff about how one announcer's grandmother made a special Christmas pie that everyone in their family loved... :rolleyes:

For the record, I don't mind the random stories or meandering comments by the announcers, but I did think it was refreshing to have a pair who not only knew their stuff, but talked about the game and even (gasp) analyzed it quite a bit for us...

Plebe

Reaction Score
The pair who did the Oklahoma game - thought they set the bar real high and showed how it's possible to actually call a game, keep the fans watching completely up to date on plays, who's in, who's out, and also with lots of anecdotes that actually related to the game we were watching, not stuff about how one announcer's grandmother made a special Christmas pie that everyone in their family loved... :rolleyes:
Brent Stover and Julianne Viani. As noted by @RSHERMVIKES above, Viani is a former Marist player. I really don't know if I'd ever seen Stover before.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I liked the analysis of Vic's daughter Blair Schaefer. Not sure if she is still doing game analysis with SEC/ESPN or back with MSU (or both?)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I liked the analysis of Vic's daughter Blair Schaefer. Not sure if she is still doing game analysis with SEC/ESPN or back with MSU (or both?)
I too thought Blair was very good but heard she’s gone into the coaching netherworld :oops:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I too thought Blair was very good but heard she’s gone into the coaching netherworld :oops:
Indeed, working for her dad as "coordinator of player development," one of those funky titles they make up to add assistant coaches under other names.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Indeed, working for her dad as "coordinator of player development," one of those funky titles they make up to add assistant coaches under other names.

She will earn her money if her 3 pt shooting and intelligent use of screens rubs off

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Brent Stover and Julianne Viani. As noted by @RSHERMVIKES above, Viani is a former Marist player. I really don't know if I'd ever seen Stover before.

For the record, I don't mind the random stories or meandering comments by the announcers, but I did think it was refreshing to have a pair who not only knew their stuff, but talked about the game and even (gasp) analyzed it quite a bit for us...
If I remember correctly the first time I heard them was when CBSSports did the USF @ UConn game at the XL center on 1/10/17. It was the blowout win of 103 - 37 for the 90th consecutive win, tying their old record. They were blown away with the speed and athleticism. When I want to watch one of the most perfect games that I've ever seen I just go to this one and get my Comfort & Water and relax.:cool::cool:

Reaction Score
Eric Frede is able to make who ever he works with sound good. Seems to know the sport well and invest the time needed to prep for games.

Reaction Score

The Okla Game was "called" terribly. Nothing about what they were buying for Xmas, or the street clothes they were wearing home or the new shoes. Just terrible Basketball game play by play and who got the foul and who went out---WHO CARES!! (Thanks Eric, they were THAT GOOD, I forgot all about what I going to wear)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Viani was also Giorgis’ PG when he coached at Our Lady of Lourdes high school in Poughkeepsie.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Guess we watched two totally different games because I thought they were terrific. And I watched the game 3 times so... maybe go back and revisit it? Not sure what you are going on about.
Not to speak for @BroadwayVa but maybe check that sarcasm meter :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom